HybridZ

L28ET vs V8 vs RB etc, etc, etc

SuperDan

What conversion have you done, doing etc.  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What conversion have you done, doing etc.

• GM V8
    • GM V6
    • Ford V8
    • Nissan RB series
    • Nissan SR series
    • Nissan L6 Turbo
    • Other not listed

Project took 14 months at a cost of nearly $1k/month. That included a 3,500 mile LS1, the T56 and all the special fabricated components, electrical and mechanical install - including a fully functional AC system. On the other side I have 17,000 miles on it now with only a cooling fan relay failure and the engine/drivetrain looks like it's OEM.

Guest Battle Pope
Project took 14 months at a cost of nearly $1k/month. On the other side I have 17,000 miles on it now with only a cooling fan relay failure and the engine/drivetrain looks like it's OEM.

Great god damn, that's a lotta cheese for a V8 conversion!

Guest JAMIE T

I have "Planned" on doing all of them except the V6. Have had each engine, but finally decided to go RB26DETT. Some super old timers might remember I sold a Mustang, (but not after pulling the Vortech supercharged 306 from it) and bought a '72 shell. I was gonna build a 250GTO. I bought a '71 which remained as my daily driver until two years ago. I sold the 306, bought a Caddy Northstar. Sold the Northstar and was set on doing a L28ET swap to simplify my life.(oh BTW, I cut up that shell about two years ago) I bought another Z. This time a '73. I did rust repairs and frame rail replacements on it and at some unfortunate time in my life I decided to sell everthing I had accumulated for that swap and everything I had involving the Z's. It was not money related, but purely time. I felt like I didn't have time to work on it and it was dragging on too long. My wife had just had her 2nd miscarriage and I was not in the mood to "F" around with cars. At some point between deciding to go L28ET and selling all my stuff, my Z28 broke down. So, the "While I'm At It" syndrome took over and I transformed the Z28 from a fumbling 240 rwhp stock car into a 350 rwhp tire scorcher. It was my WIFES daily driver at the time, so I was taking her to and from work in my trusty but rusty '71 240Z while the work progressed on the Z28. But, lets get back to the 240Z's. So, I sold all the L28 stuff and I was left with nothing but a shell again since I had stripped the car down for the body and chassis work. My wife gets pregnant for good this time. So flowers rain down, cats and dogs get married, all the world is ok. I decide to keep the '73 and not sell it. So, I start thinking about the Z28's engine for my project. I mean, I have it. I know it's built well. I bought my wife an Expedition, so the Z28 became my daily driver(which it remains to this day). I start working on the car as hard as ever. Alot gets done the first year my Daughter is born since my wife was working and I could work on the car while my new born napped for HOURS. This summer we decided to make a few changes which included having a second child. (due to appear next week). The RB26 never crossed my mind until I saw Stony's motor in the classifieds. I did alittle research and decided, "What the puck, why not?" We struck a deal after about a week of negotiations. He received the check for a hella lot of money on Christmas day via FedEx. And the reast as they say, is history.

I rambled for a long time, but it did feel good. Kinda heart warming huh?