HybridZ

L28ET vs V8 vs RB etc, etc, etc

SuperDan

What conversion have you done, doing etc.  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What conversion have you done, doing etc.

• GM V8
    • GM V6
    • Ford V8
    • Nissan RB series
    • Nissan SR series
    • Nissan L6 Turbo
    • Other not listed

7.5 L GM V8

Many guys on this board can beat the hp' date=' but can anyone surpass the displacement? :-)[/quote']

Maybe so, but i think 7.5 is more than enough. 5.7 is more than enough, I can vouch.

Nice! I wanted to do the 8.2 out of my old cadillac, but I didn't want all the extra hassel, plus it was cast iron everything including the manifolds, and I don't regret it. But really you get better bragging rights with a BB over a SB.

I danced around a couple engines before going rb26. Scottie got some emails from me about his setup way back when he was still initially tuning his. I thought V-8 was the way to go for a while but they are pretty scarce in japan. then finally decided to go rb26 when one was plopped in my lap with just about everything i need for the swap.

been going at it ever since. :toetap05:

• 3 months later...
Guest ExpertHandler

I really want to do either the L6 turbo or sr 20

people keep saying the the rb motor is too front heavy

and i want to be able to scream in the corners

thats where i get my jollies of anyways

I really want to do either the L6 turbo or sr 20

people keep saying the the rb motor is too front heavy

and i want to be able to scream in the corners

thats where i get my jollies of anyways

B/S mine was 51 front 49 rear with my rb26. my motor was not as far back and low aS possible. There were more weight reduction things i could have done to get it more 50 50. with a good suspension/tuning the rb26Z would be an awesome track car. **** the bone stock motor can produce 350rwhp (yes thats stock booste too). The main (neccessary) mod you would have to do would be the oiling system. not even sure if thats really needed on a bone stock rb26.

My 2 cents

Wow the rb swap is number 3 behind the l-6 turbo and GM v-8 getting pretty popular now :>

considering the v-8 and l-6 turbo swap have been around longer thats not bad considering mine and the blue one from canada were the only 2 completed 5 years ago in north america.

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds like the same thought process that I fussed over for five years before making the decision to go the LS1 route. A little information:

1) The LS1/T56 combination added 0, as in none, weight to the front of the car and 30 lbs to the rear which gave me a 49.5% front / 50.5% rear distribution. I even left the battery in it's stock location. Also the LS1 sits lower than any I-6, is lighter than the L28, and 85% of the engine is behind the front axle. All of which tends to improve handling. The weight gain comes from the T56.

2) I wanted HP AND daily driver reliability and I didn't feel I could get that with a heavily modified six cylinder. The LS1 in totally stock form puts down 311 to the rear wheels which maths out to about 390 at the flywheel.

I've ended up with a very reliable daily driver with a brick solid drivetrain. I've driven it about 23,000 miles so far and I've had two cooling fan relay failures - infant mortality - and, just this week, the starter began acting up which may turn out to just be a fusible link problem. That's it.

My only problem going with the LS1 is that I LOVE Inline Six's.

But, I would also like to have 300hp, and getting 300hp out of an L-series is problematic for me. I fear Turbo-lag and getting that kinda power without a turbo leaves you with a high-strung, not-street-friendly, engine.

An RB26DETT would be a nice alternative, but the cost and technical aspects may be beyond me, or at least beyond the amount of work I want to put into it.

Chances are that I'll go with the LS1 or a NA L28 with as much street-friendly HP as I can squeez out of it.

A 300hp L28 will have very minimal turbo lag. You can happily get 300hp from a stock SR20 with a T28 turbocharger. This combination makes positive pressure at around 1800rpm with full boost around 2200 or so.

That same turbocharger on a L28 with 800cc more displacement I would guess would make positive pressure at or before 1500rpm and be up and thumping by 2000rpm.

If that doesn't sound good enough, maybe you do need a V8.

Dave

Guest ON3GO

well..

My blue Z has a L28ET in it right now, and I Love the L6..

but everytime i think how much work and money i put in it i always think how much faster a 2JZ or a LS1 would be.

but again i street race, its my thing... so when ppl see my L28ET they dont think much of it, but if i had a LS1 or so in it i would never get a race.

now i wanna build a crazy Z, so L6 is going out and either a 2JZ, RB26 or a LS1 is going in.

my green Z is gonna go back to L28ET and i want to try for 10's in it with a great setup.

any engine could be good in our Z's, it just depends on how much money and design/work you do to it.

mike

Guest BiltWel

EFI all the way, and auxillary wheres the rest of the handle on that yard machine did you cut it out to make room for the lawn chairs?

uSiKLfwqzbzNtdkdv-ab1ntuhAvbp8W-0300.jpg

Edit: Where did auxillarys post with the lawn mower go?

Edit: NM I didn't realize this post was 4 pages long.

• 7 months later...

I had to vote other. Used to work in a shop (sorta just hang out there alot and it turned into work for shop space and parts) and we did alot of Hybrid stuff there for the times (96-98), like stock 75 injection into a 72, VG30T into a RHD 76, numerous Ford 5.0 swaps...some turbo some N/A, we even turboed a VG30 for a Pathfinder. We did alot of injection swaps and turbo swaps into 240's...WA still smogged 240's then so to beat smog...get rid of the carbs.

• 6 months later...

i built a 500Z powered by a 5.0 Ford because i love mustangs and been in the Ford world long enough. also because i had the engine/tranny/mods for free out of my 1989 mustang, if a build another Z, it has to be a LS2/t56 powered one :)

• 2 weeks later...

I' representing the RB series, my brother and I are throwing a RB25DET with some toys in the 71 after the L26 gave up the ghost. It's defiantly not cheap (not that any swaps ever are) but sourcing stuff in Canada can be tricky. Were shooting for 350hp at the wheels so we figured a RB25 w/ a hybrid t3/t4 and some other stuff should get us there. The RB26 gets real expensive real quick when you have the extra turbo and all the plumbing too so we opted for a 25 w/ some toys. Hopefully see how she runs in the next month or so, while saving up for a standalone, probably wolf not too sure.