HybridZ

Politics and Religion - Banned

johnc

Perhaps those who want to discuss these topics should end their post with first and last name, and a picture :-)

What a novel thought.

Banning certain topics because they stir up emotions or are a challenge to moderate is the easy choice.

In my humble opinion, the banning will devalue this wonderful site.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil1934

I always looked at it like a cocktail party discussion. Nice to hear opposing points of view and I also enjoyed the web site references to the subject at hand, particularly when the subject got deep or obscure. I'm still a couple months from finishing the nephew's Z. Hopefully by the SE Drags, but I'm off for Reynolds, GA today as the old prewar cars and FEDs are having at it. (The 1934 in my sig refers to my other unfinished project)

I at first voted to ban the political/religious topics, but quickly changed my mind to let Johnc (who always thinks before he types, and I dare say never says anything he regrets) be the moderator in a politics and religion forum. But that was not a vote to the winning side, no big deal.

I certainly am in agreement with katman:

Actually this was the only site I bothered to open up any political discussions on because the membership is generally a higher class and more civil than some other places I lurk.

I too will miss johnc's research as well as the ability to see other's points of view on these topics.

I actually agree with what Mikelly said (imagine that!)... I too have been part of the "heat", and have caught myself saying things that are "out of bounds". And even though I disagree with JohnC's philosophy, I learned a bit from his interesting and thought provoking research. I guess politics/religion is just too intense sometimes....maybe we should just stick to fast datsuns like Mike said. But- who knows?

This is a shame. John, do you have somewhere else you post (or will you) that I can read?

If the issue was still up for debate, I'd vote for heavy moderation of non-constructive posts the better. (Actually, I wouldn't mind heavy moderation of non-constructive posts in EVERY forum.)

Posting pictures and names/ addresses isn't the answer guys... Hell I personally invite all of you guys to my HOME a couple of times per year, and would pretty much convey my same exact thoughts on these off topic subjects, although in a more thoughtful way (Face to face beats text any day of the week) at any of the get-togethers we have... Just ask those (Both democrat and republican) who have attended my shindigs.

NO, I've always said and will always hold fast to the fact that who you are on a website is who you damned well should be in public, because people are drawing conclusions on each of us, based on what we type. It's all we have to go on. If you say "I believe ABCDEFG" in text, and then back pedal in public and say "I was just kiddin'" That'll speak volumes about who you really are in my book.

As someone mentioned to me offline, It's ok to disagree on a topic and argue your point in a non-offense, and non-emotional way. In the recent past I've found I can't do that, because of my work. And I'm ok with that, because now I know I need to work on that area of my life.

Lets get back to cars.

Mike

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Aw crap, you mean I could have been posting P&R here instead of getting all of my P&R posts delteted at Zcar.com after 12 hours!! LOL

Oh well!!

I've gained insight and admiration for the members on the site that have submitted thought provoking commentary to the subject matter. At the same time, I've had my blood pressure rise to above safe conditions reading some of these same comments as well. DR_HUNT put it perfectly. I value my personal friendships (the HybridZ group is included in this category) too highly to allow myself to become embroiled in these strings and could live very well (and long) without seeing a single thread about this subject matter ever again. Every form of media is inundated with viewpoints that cover the entire spectrum of though on these two subjects, and I feel the HybridZ site is not the location to rehash what I heard 10 minutes ago on the television. Once again, the administrators of this forum are demonstrating their great reputation for properly managing this site.

I will miss the P&R topics and agree with those who also want to keep them. This is the only site where I will read and/or participate in them because of the general high quality of the discussion. There have been a few where things went south and got ugly, but they were few and far between and not really all that ugly, at least as far as I can remember (it sucks to get old).

I think the discussions add to the general feeling that we are family and can talk about things and really get to know each other beyond just our common interest in "fast Datsuns". I will miss them.

Wheelman

english and creative writing wasnt my best subject in school .so if i coundnt post an intelligent sounding opinion on a post i just didnt post. i dont mind reading about somebody else's point of view as long as they can express themselves with out offending other members.that is the hard part.so we are avoiding political/religious subjects altogether.my opinion is this might make the site a little too well managed.but this is only my opinion.if you see something i misspelled i will just blame it on my poor typing skills.this is the best single make car enthusiast site on the net.

I feel that I am in the same boat as Randy. Spelling and typing are not my thing so I dont get involved becuase I think and speak at a certain level and type like a 6 year old. I dont think I am alone here and this could very well be the trouble with internet discussions. It is very difficult to get your point across on the net with out upsetting someone. They can not see the grin on your face, the inflection in your voice, the way you look or how you are trying to express yourself. This tend's to lead to a lot of unneeded agro.

This is the only place I come to. If you want to talk politicaly, Fine. Religon I could do with out. Just keep the above in mind. Oh, and dont forget, Its a world wide web.:wink:

Cheers, Douglas

I'll miss the P+R discussions. I really enjoyed hearing what other people think on these subjects. If you speak your heart you will offend someone. I think most can handle that without taking it personally. HybridZ is the only forum I post in due to the high quality of the admin's and members. Tech info, good conversation, humor, ideas and interesting subjects. Please don't change things too much.

Chris

Guest Aaron

I have to bring this up. What about discussions about new or chaning automotive legislations? Those discussions are political too, and could get quite heated.

Also, what if someone wants to discuss the "Lord of Lords" 240 dragster that was at SEZ II? How long before someone gets offended by that and it gets banned?

It is a slippery slope.

• 4 weeks later...
I have to bring this up. What about discussions about new or chaning automotive legislations? Those discussions are political too, and could get quite heated.

IMHO, Discussions of topics that have a direct affect on our hobby are fine until the thread gets heated.

Also, what if someone wants to discuss the "Lord of Lords" 240 dragster that was at SEZ II? How long before someone gets offended by that and it gets banned?

IMHO, We don't necessarily ban a topic or thread just because someone is offended. If the discussion of the Lord of Lord's 240 was technical in nature it would continue just fine. Just because someone is offended by the name of the car doesn't mean a technical discussion gets banned.