HybridZ

Complete Differential List (need help)

cyrus

Nissan Largo 4wd Van - Mid 90's - Rear diff is large R200 - it has the hump like an R230, and the shafts/pignose are like those of an R230... but the rear cover swaps out with the R200, and it has no ABS/HICAS/etc... so its narrow like the R200. I have never measured the ring to see how big it is, though.

Largo - 4.90 gear ratio with a very stout VLSD.

Nissan Serena 4wd Van - Mid 90's - Rear diff looks just like the Largo

Serena - 4.66 - very strong VLSD as well.

I bolted up the Largo diff in my old 180sx and ran it for a year wit heavy abuse. That diff kicked butt.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

R160 List:

Clutch-Pack LSD:

1985-1986 (production up to 3/86) XT 4WD is listed with a 3.70 LSD option (Subaru part # 7220 11000).

1986-1987 (production from 4/86-10/86) GL 4WD is listed with a 3.70 LSD option (Subaru part # 7220 11001).

1986-1991+ (production from 11/86) Loyale/GL 4WD is listed with a 3.70 LSD option (Subaru part # 7220 11002).

1988-1991 GL and XT-6 4WDs with single range transmissions are listed with a 3.90 LSD option (Subaru part # 22011 GA022).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another Subaru Guy here, and the LSD was ONLY offered as an OPTION on any car, EVER. It is not always on any vehicle, and they know that LSD is happy times, too.. so as was mentioned, ANY late 70's-1994 subaru may well have one on the back.. and even later ones as well. The quest for LSD in the junkyards leaves us sticking our heads under damn near everything with a pumpkin in the tail end, doesn't it?

the subaru LSDs will almost ALL be 3.7 ratio, and they should all have the green sticker mentioned above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

If it is truly a V-LSD, then my not so humble opinion is nothing really special about it. It would have some value to the drag race crowd though. If it is a clutch pack LSD, then it’s a keeper for the hard core corner carver.

The Viscous diffs work great for drag racing or cars only driven on wine tasting tours. For true "cornering" performance, the viscous LSD is inconsistent, and break away torque is quite loose, so to speak. The Inside tire still spins readily when driven aggressively such as on back roads or “top of class” autocross competition.

That’s my $.02 from my experience owning a few cars with the V-LSD diffs. I don’t like them in a true “performance” sports car.

• Administrators

As far as I’m aware, clutch pack and gear type torque sensing are your two major options for the discerning enthusiast. Both camps waive their flags from time to time on here and you’ll find our very own Jmortensen is quite versed in the various differentials.

If you haven’t already, read through this sticky linked below. Jon has outlined and detailed with great pics BTW, most if not all the diffs that we would normally consider using in the Z car. Covers LSD, 2 and 4 spider gear carriers, the R-190, spider gear failure explained, half shafts and C/V joints, torque sensing etc..

Incredible source of info and a good read as well. …

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Anyone know if a NISMO R200 CLSD pulled from a R33GTR Skyline will work using the older S30 axle shafts; 29 spline 30mm diameter.

I'm only concerned about the CLSD carrier; I know it will fit into the S30 R200 longnose case, but don't know if the stock axle shafts will work with this diff.

What is a R33GTR Skyline model car; same as an R32 Skyline.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
Which came in a n/a 280zx?

the r180 or the r200 longnose?

How would I find out what the gearing is?

check out this thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

R160 - Originally came in 510s, Subarus. Lighter weight than stock Z diff

R180 - Came in 240, 260, 77-78 280Z automatic, and 280ZX automatic, among others. Also in the new WRX STi

R190 - Nissan Comp diff used in early 70's race cars and 432R's. Still some of these floating around.

Longnose R200 -weight 76 lbs - Came in 260Z 2+2, 280Z manual, 75-76 automatic and 2+2, S130, Z31, 200SXT

Shortnose R200 - weight 72 lbs - Later model 240SX, Q45 1989-1996, R32 Skyline, 300ZX NA, 350Z

Shortnose R230 - weight 114 lbs - 300ZXTT, Armada front diff

Straight axles - Ford 8.8", Chevy 12 bolt, Ford 9"

Maybe they should edit the first post of both these threads with a link to the other thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Nissan Serena 4wd Van - Mid 90's - Rear diff looks just like the Largo

Serena - 4.66 - very strong VLSD as well.

Now this is helpful :D

I got curious and crawled under my '96 Serena and found a finned cover, which I thought was LSD only models, with open diffs getting a smooth cover.

A bit off googling and up came the reviews of the Serena in australia when released, they came with LSD...

So a 4.66 LSD

in a serena :D hmm, what would that do if swapped into a Z?

:D

Hmm, a bit more looking, on the Serenas options code plate the transaxle data was "RE4R01A RC43" some googling shows the RE4R01A is the 4 speed automatic box, and the RC43 means the diff is a 4.363:1 ratio VLSD same as fitted to R32 and R33 skylines and S13s.

The 4.66:1 mentioned for the serena in the bit I quoted a couple of posts above shows up in google as being the open diff (Optional LSD) on the GA16DE petrol or the VLSD on the CD20T diesel engined serena. Not the VLSD RC43 4.363:1 fitted to the SR20DE powered JDM and Australia/NZ models.