HybridZ
cyrus

Complete Differential List (need help)

Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm curious if the ring and pinion out of any short nose R200 will fit in my N/A 90 300zx short nose R200 case? Something like the 3.36's from the 350Z, or the 3.545's from the 1989-1996 Q45's..

I do realize that to use a 10mm R&P set will require spacers, but as far as other dimensions and considerations, is it a direct swap?

Thanks!

From the site http://zhome.com/

Z Car Transmission & Rear End Gearing

- - - - 300ZX's - - - - - -- -

300ZX 84-86 MT and A/T (3.7) (R200)

300ZX 84-86 Turbo MT and A/T (3.54) (R200)

300ZX 87-89 MT and A/T (3.9 ) (R200)

300ZX 87-89 MT and A/T (3.9 ) (R200)

300ZX 87-89 Turbo MT and A/T (3.7 ) (R200)

Note Turbos:

#1) after 4/87 only-(3.7 Clutch Type LSD)

2) 88 All White SS used a 3.7 Viscous Coupling LSD)

3) LSD Unites Came With Finned Rear Covers

--------------------------------------------------

Hi guys just took the back off a 300Z LSD I bought and it has the number NJH 35:8 AK 6 11 17. In dividing this out it is a 4.375 ratio clutch type LSD. I have not seen this ratio mentioned or in your list? Can anyone advise on what I have then?

I just got a diff from a guy who said it was out of a "late model" GT-R. he didnt know what year and i was wondering of you guys could help figure it out. it is a clutch type LSD but it has 4.375 ratio (35 toothed ring, 8 tooth pinion) the closest thing that was posted earlier was:

" R200V Short nose rear of a R32 GTR skyline, 5 bolt output

Ratio 4.36

LSD clutch type"

but as you can see in the pics it looks like a long nose. am i mistaken and this is what the diff came out of??

-----------------

Hi RTZMartini, I just posted about my diff and then found your quote above - I believe I have the same diff as you. Its a long nose clutch type LSD that came out of the first model 300Z I was told (came into Aust as a halfcut) - it has CV's and is a 4.375. Did you find out anything about yours?

regards Mike

Guest Phizinza
Mid 80s Subaru XT Turbo has clutch type LSD R160.

As I am a subaru guy heres what I know about the clutch pack LSD's from old subies.

All are R160's. All the LSD's came in 3.7:1 ratio. most commonly found (but not always) in 85-89 Subaru RX's, GL-10 Turbo wagons, and some offroad modified Subaru from 80 right the way through to 94. Most subaru owners put the LSD center into the 3.9 ratio diff's found in other Subaru's for lower offroad gearing. They go for around $400 in the US and $600 in Australia.

Oh, and they are the longnose style, they look just like the Datsun 510's diff.

I believe all the XT turbos do have LSD, but as I recall they also have a big green sticker that says 3.70 LSD right on the cover. If the one you're looking at doesn't have the sticker, that could mean that it's been swapped out at some point, or the sticker just fell off. It's going to be a bit of a gamble...

Nissan Largo 4wd Van - Mid 90's - Rear diff is large R200 - it has the hump like an R230, and the shafts/pignose are like those of an R230... but the rear cover swaps out with the R200, and it has no ABS/HICAS/etc... so its narrow like the R200. I have never measured the ring to see how big it is, though.

Largo - 4.90 gear ratio with a very stout VLSD.

Nissan Serena 4wd Van - Mid 90's - Rear diff looks just like the Largo

Serena - 4.66 - very strong VLSD as well.

I bolted up the Largo diff in my old 180sx and ran it for a year wit heavy abuse. That diff kicked butt.

R160 List:

Clutch-Pack LSD:

1985-1986 (production up to 3/86) XT 4WD is listed with a 3.70 LSD option (Subaru part # 7220 11000).

1986-1987 (production from 4/86-10/86) GL 4WD is listed with a 3.70 LSD option (Subaru part # 7220 11001).

1986-1991+ (production from 11/86) Loyale/GL 4WD is listed with a 3.70 LSD option (Subaru part # 7220 11002).

1988-1991 GL and XT-6 4WDs with single range transmissions are listed with a 3.90 LSD option (Subaru part # 22011 GA022).

Another Subaru Guy here, and the LSD was ONLY offered as an OPTION on any car, EVER. It is not always on any vehicle, and they know that LSD is happy times, too.. so as was mentioned, ANY late 70's-1994 subaru may well have one on the back.. and even later ones as well. The quest for LSD in the junkyards leaves us sticking our heads under damn near everything with a pumpkin in the tail end, doesn't it?

the subaru LSDs will almost ALL be 3.7 ratio, and they should all have the green sticker mentioned above.

If it is truly a V-LSD, then my not so humble opinion is nothing really special about it. It would have some value to the drag race crowd though. If it is a clutch pack LSD, then it’s a keeper for the hard core corner carver.

The Viscous diffs work great for drag racing or cars only driven on wine tasting tours. For true "cornering" performance, the viscous LSD is inconsistent, and break away torque is quite loose, so to speak. The Inside tire still spins readily when driven aggressively such as on back roads or “top of class” autocross competition.

That’s my $.02 from my experience owning a few cars with the V-LSD diffs. I don’t like them in a true “performance” sports car.

As far as I’m aware, clutch pack and gear type torque sensing are your two major options for the discerning enthusiast. Both camps waive their flags from time to time on here and you’ll find our very own Jmortensen is quite versed in the various differentials.

If you haven’t already, read through this sticky linked below. Jon has outlined and detailed with great pics BTW, most if not all the diffs that we would normally consider using in the Z car. Covers LSD, 2 and 4 spider gear carriers, the R-190, spider gear failure explained, half shafts and C/V joints, torque sensing etc..

Incredible source of info and a good read as well. …

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

Hey all,

Anyone know if a NISMO R200 CLSD pulled from a R33GTR Skyline will work using the older S30 axle shafts; 29 spline 30mm diameter.

I'm only concerned about the CLSD carrier; I know it will fit into the S30 R200 longnose case, but don't know if the stock axle shafts will work with this diff.

What is a R33GTR Skyline model car; same as an R32 Skyline.

Cheers.