HybridZ

OK GUYS Z32 tranny on an L28 . . .

Garrett76Zt

We all know that we can put KA trannies on our L28's. We all know that SR trannies are the same as KA trannies just with a different bellhousing.

Well here you go, this is a z32 trans bolted to a SR block!

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

Ok so there is a company that is doing this swap, you give them your Z32 bellhousing and they make it fit your SR or KA.

So we know there KA and SR are very similar bellhousings to the L28. So why not send this company an L bell and a z32 bell and have em fab it up?

Tell me why this wont work?

I cant find one reason why it wouldnt work and I would love to have something stronger and better then the T5 that I have in my car now and now have it cost me an arm and a leg to get it as well.

I thought that the Ka tranny would bolt up to the L28 though or am I wrong in this assumption?

A local guy is making those adaptors. (Don't know if it is the same guy as that one). I saw one last week in his shop...

I was discussing making one for our L28's with him as well. If there is enough interest, then it would be worth making a run...

Mike

The KA doesn't bolt up to the L28. The ones being utilized are a hybrid, front half of a L28 five speed housing mated to the KA five speed. You need to do some machne work to the housing. There is a posting on the Atlantic ZClub site and a thread on this site.

ecp48- Garrett is running a KA trans behind his l28.

Garrett- I just spoke to Mark (http://www.Mazworx.com) and that is his adaptor. He posted those pics last week on the SR forums. I will be bringing him an L28 bell housing to make a Z32TT trans adaptor. I am not in a major rush to put it in the car, but I'll keep you all posted as to the progress once it is made...

Is the Z32 bell the same as a 350Z bell? I have a 6speed that is begging to be abused behind the turbo L6.

Joe

I do believe the tranny's are interchangeable between a 350z and a 300zx.

But, its not nearly as strong as the 300zx tranny (300hp seems to be the reliable limit, from what I've read).

Mario

Weren't the 350Z's having all sorts of trouble with the 3rd gear synchro?

I thought I heard something similar as well. The 6-speed is geared for the 3.54 Z33 diff and first gear is super low/short (we just bought an Ultra Yellow 05 6-speed Enthusiast model 350Z for my wife over the weekend). The Z32 diff is pretty stout and is geared for a 3.70 diff... Either tranny would be a step up from the choices we have now. Also, the earlier Z's are significantly lighter than the 300zx's or 350Z's, further extending the life of the tranny...

How much do 300zx trannies go for at the junk yard? This would be a major development. There's not much an L could throw out that a z32 tranny couldn't handle.

Exactly.

And as for the cost, Im pretty sure less that 100$ or maybe a little over. At the local Pick N Pull, you can pull an entire engine for 150$.