HybridZ

OK GUYS Z32 tranny on an L28 . . .

Garrett76Zt

I am not sure what type of gearbox the 240sx KA or SR are but here is link that shows the FS5W71C mated to the L Series bellhousing (in this case the box is from a R32 Skyline should be strong enough)

pitroad modified gearbox

I like that set up for the L6 motor, but I'm not sure about the "R32" trans they use. Is it a RB20det trans, or the RB25det trans??

If its the RB20, then I don't think its that great of a upgrade.

Have you guys picked up a Z32 tranny? MAN, I would NEVER put one of these in my car! Driving the bigger gears, takes ALOT of HORSE. PLUS, the added mass. I have seen HIGH HP L series cars, with KA trannys, and not having any problem, and I have also seen 400+ SR's and KA's with stock trannys.

Have you guys picked up a Z32 tranny? MAN, I would NEVER put one of these in my car! Driving the bigger gears, takes ALOT of HORSE. PLUS, the added mass. I have seen HIGH HP L series cars, with KA trannys, and not having any problem, and I have also seen 400+ SR's and KA's with stock trannys.

No doubt this is a heavier tranny. This is the same tranny that is used in the RB25 turbos. it is a much bigger tranny.

Who do you know that has made big HP with a KA tranny in a z? I'd be interested to see some actual numbers.

Yes there are several guys making 400hp on KA's. only problem is they are making far less torque at 400hp than an L setup is going to at 400hp.

I guess you haven't made significant rwhp w/ an L28 yet...otherwise, it would make perfect sense to go to a beefier tranny. Changing trannies every few months gets old fast, not to mention worrying whether or not it will blow up on you at the track.

I have made nearly 400 hp through the stock L28 tranny too (calculated from my 1/4 mile mph)... and there are guys making 400+ hp w/ stock KA trannies, but ask those guys how often they have to change them out. Also, torque is a bigger factor than horsepower and the L28 will make more torque than an SR at the same rwhp levels. The idea is to get a stout transmission that you can rely on. If you are worried about robbing the car of horsepower, you can turn up the boost another 1-2 psi, not having to worry about the tranny so much, and ... problem solved :wink:

BTW, I dropped off the L28 tranny bell housing to Mark today. He'll get started on it when he has the chance. I plan on bringing the adaptor w/ me to SEZ, if the L28 adaptor is not finished, then Mark said he would lend the SR adaptor attached to the Z32 tranny to me so anyone coming can get an idea of what it will look like. The wheels of progress have begun turning!!

mike

Since no one has really tried a Z32 or 350Z trans behind a turbo L6 all of the negativity is speculation. Since I have a 6speed in the shed and I think I'm pushing some good power (3 liter, 8.5-1, t3t04e 57 trim, 50 lb injectors and 18lbs of boost), I'd be willing to try it. Mike, is there anyway I could get in on the adapter build?

Joe

Sure Joe. I will continue to update this thread as new info comes available. The adaptor should not be much different for the 6 speed than it is for the Z32 tranny... aside from the bolt pattern... then the next obstacle will be the input shaft. I may have to have a custom pilot bushing machined. The clutch should be a no brainer as the center splined section of the Z32 clutch should be able to be used w/ the outer section of the turbo 240mm clutch disk, making a "hybrid" clutch disk and then the turbo 240mm flywheel and pressure plate can be used with the new disk. Hopefully the t/o bearing from the Z32 will be compatible. I guess there is a little way to go, but we're headed in the right direction... I hope!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My fabricator is swamped with a government project (gotta pay the bills you know) and one of his guys chose to seek employment elsewhere, so there are still no updates to speak of, other than it will be done. I just picked up my Z32 tranny and he showed me 3 others sitting in the shop waiting to be adapted.

On a side note, the adaptor kit he made to mount the Z32 tranny to the SR motor is beating the streets of Orlando. The Z32 tranny has been installed a month now and there is nothing but good news so far regarding it.

No idea on cost yet. He said that he can do a 6-speed as well, but he needs the tranny to do it. The tranny bellhousing is actually cut back the width of the adaptor and the adaptor is bolted to the bellhousing, and then the whole assembly is bolted to the block. Does the Z33 tranny use the same size/spline output shaft? Fortunately, the Z32 shaft has the same splines as the L28 tranny, so if you have a good clutch, it can remain the same.

Does the Z33 tranny use the same size/spline output shaft? Fortunately, the Z32 shaft has the same splines as the L28 tranny, so if you have a good clutch, it can remain the same.

This I do not know I'll do some research to find out, what the interchangeability is and let everyone know whats up.

Tyson

INteresting discussion. I would like to know if anyone has done a sr/ka tranny swap to a RB engine. Just curious. I would think it would rev faster and the added benifet to the loss in weight sounds good, but I assume you would have to be easy on aceeleration due to the torque numbers being higher on a RB engine to the SR/KA engine.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update...

Mark has finally completed the big govt job he was doing. The drawings for the tranny adaptor are finished and he has requested that I bring him a bare block, starter, and engine mounts (which I will do Monday). He will be making the adaptor, tranny mount, and shifter plate all mocked up in a 73 240z. This should be (for all intensive purposes) a direct bolt in for all 72-78 Z's once you provide him with your Z32 bell housing to modify. The driveshaft will be something that you will have to do at your local driveline shop. More updates to come in a few weeks...

PAX,

mike