HybridZ

OK GUYS Z32 tranny on an L28 . . .

Garrett76Zt

I am not sure of the bell housing bolt patterns, but Mark said that he could do the Z33 adaptor as well, just send him the bell...you may have to do the tranny mount for your car for the Z33 as I am unsure of dimensions, but that would be the easy part :-)

Mike' date='

I don't know if you already answered me about this but do the Z32 and Z33 bell housings have the same bolt pattern? And if so, Ken, when are you stopping by to pick mine up to bring back to Florida with you???

Joe[/quote']

No it is not a the same bolt pattern there is only a couple of Z32's running the Z33 6 speed and they did require adapter plates and the such. Most don't use the 6 speed because they don't like the gearing for their TT cars. But this doesn't mean that one can't be made for the L28 as well.

Tyson

Sorry to thread hi-jack a bit, but have any of you guys tried an SR box behind an L?

I just did the conversion, which you can do at your home with a die grinder and a drill and an afternoon. I know of one fellow pushing 244rwkw (maybe 330-350rwhp for you USers) through one for years without any issues and the SR gearboxes are reputedly relatively strong.

The gears are around 16% wider than the std 240Z 5-speed I was using anyway.

Has anyone pulled down a Z32 box to see if they offer any advantage over this?

Specs on some gearboxes: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6340

Tutorial on the conversion (with pics soon): http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6393

Dave

SR tranny is identical to the KA tranny . . . just different bellhousing. I am currently running one on my turbo setup... this tranny will not hold the power I plan to make. Keep in mind that an SR with 350hp has alot less torque than 350hp on the L. I just did it cause they are easy/cheap to find.

Thanks for the update MIKE!!

Yep, read the tutorial, and nice write-up BTW, but I am ready for a tranny that I do not have to worry about babying or breaking. The SR and KA guys making serious power are getting away from their trannys as well and going to the Z32 5-speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my GForce T5 has been on the back burner for the last 6 months as I work to finish my ZXT, it might be fortuitous that a much less costly alternative has arrived.

I have a couple of friends with 500+ hp in their Z32's with the stock tranny and one that's running over 700hp.

If it's a simple bell housing mod+adapter, I think this may be the solution to many of our problems. And if it comes in significantly under the $2500 for the modified T5, I'll be a happy camper. Although, I will miss the light weight of the T5, I'll just have to turn the boost up a bit more to compensate.

What are the gear ratios on the Z32 tranny? Fortunately, I have 3.545, 3.7, 3.9 and 4.11 R200's so I'll be able to get the right final drive regardless of the gearing, but it would be nice to know which one I'll need to prep.

Cheers,

WW