HybridZ

S13 or S14... any advantage for S14

Lewis Maudlin

OK, I am still working on piecing together what I will need to come up with a price list. Is there any advantage to an S14? I got a sales pitch of newer motor, probably less miles, more agressive cam, more horsepower. Since the S13 motor is older, the swap probably have more miles. That seems to make sense. I was told the S13 head flows better but not until 400-500hp. I intend to drive my car so I am looking at 300rwhp as a goal. I am not too concerned about how the head flows at 500hp. Suggestions, recommendations?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battle Pope

I take it you're putting a KA-motor in a Z? First upside is DOHC versus SOHC.

Although the first year of the DOHC engines is the best because they had the best cams.

the only motor that will get you 300rwhp from its stock turbo is the s15 motor, and also if you are still thinking of spending $3000 in parts for motor and its accessories then the s14 is easily over that. the s14 has a lower ported head with nissans vtc system and a t28 bb turbo.

So the S14 is not the way to get 300rwhp. I keep finding deals on them that are close to the price of an S13. Is there any truth to the suggestion that an S14 would have fewer miles? Thanks for the info. I guess I don't need the bb turbo since I will probably just upgrade it in a year or so anyway. If that is really the only advantage, I'll go for the S13

i dont think you will get 300rwhp with $3k, in that case get an s13 engine and tranny only with no ecu or harness, then go standalone like a haltech or microtech or maybe even megasquirt, s15 t28 turbo and some nismo 550cc injectors will get you there, but again thats over $3k. It is really hard to tell the truth about mileage unless the motor came in a clip with a cluster and even then the clusters could have been swapped out.

We were talking about $3000 plus labor. I think I can get close to that.

I think from this thread and the previous one you should be realizing that your budget is not compatible with your goals. Time to expand the budget or trim the goals.

Well my plan is to spend around $3000. If I don't get enough hp right away, that is fine. Should I go bare and get a standalone fuel management now? Is that going to be a whole lot more expensive? Right now, here is what I have found at these prices:

S13 complete $2300 delivered

Water pump $ 90

Oil pump $ 60

FMIC, Dump kit $ 330

and exhaust manifold

Walbro fuel pump $ 100

Exedy Clutch $ 175

TOTAL $3055

Now I still need to buy an engine cradle from Vildini for $300.

Am I forgetting very much? I know I will need an exhaust and driveshaft custom made. Also, I will need a surge tank. So, opened up like this with a boost controller, I hope to have close to 250rwhp boosted up and close to 205rwhp at 7psi. I realize that this is more than stock hp, but I was hoping that opening the intake and exhaust would get me a little hp. What do you think?

the first customer car we did as a shop which is the car that projectrb240sx has; made 205-207rwhp on stock 7psi and 252whp at 15psi with just intake manifold, fmic, 3" exhaust, and tubular exhaust manifold.

i think that exedy clutch you have listed is for stock replacement, if yuo are going to turn up the power might as well get a better clutch now instead of later.

and damn i have no idea where you are gettin a new oil pump for an s13 sr20det for $60 since the OEM parts from nissan that phase2 sells are about $240 http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/sr20detoemoi.html

the ACT Street/Strip clutch is nice, almost stock pedal feel. he is running an intake manifold from this company on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-S13-Silvia-SR20DET-Intake-Manifolds-Plenums_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36474QQitemZ7993906448QQtcZphoto

It is exactly the same as the real greddy manifold aside from having the badge on it.

So, OK, add on $210 more for the ACT HDSS clutch and $240 for the intake manifold. That puts me at $3505. DOH!!! Oh well, I have budgeted $5,000 that means I will have to do more of the work. Also, $300 engine cradle, $250 exhaust, $200 driveshaft. Puts me up to $4255. Sure doesn't leave much for a mechanic, huh. Maybe I need to increase this to $6000 and hope that I can keep labor to $1750. Good thing George Bush is always on TV telling us how good the economy is.

Not to mention the turbo from the S13 and S14s will max out at about 250-270hp. You can get an S15 Turbo and get 300 but you will spend 500-700 on the turbo itself. But then again, with hookups, you can get it cheaper.

According to everyone else at this site, including those who build conversions, the S13 turbo does not max out at 270hp. Do you know something that everyone else doesn't?