HybridZ

S13 or S14... any advantage for S14

Lewis Maudlin

Good luck with the build. If those motors where legal in california i'd consdier doing it myself. There's such a large presence of SR gurus here I would be able to start with confidence. And I'm glad you're going with the S13 motor. It'll be much cheeper initially, and have just about the same potential if you want to drop more money into it later.

Dang, why couldn't nissan have put these motors in a production car in the US? Jerks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battle Pope
Good luck with the build. If those motors where legal in california i'd consdier doing it myself. There's such a large presence of SR gurus here I would be able to start with confidence. And I'm glad you're going with the S13 motor. It'll be much cheeper initially' date=' and have just about the same potential if you want to drop more money into it later.

Dang, why couldn't nissan have put these motors in a production car in the US? Jerks.[/quote']

Couldn't you just get it into a pre-'76 car so you wouldn't need to inspect?

nope. in california ANY motor swap needs to be checked by a reff. Now, since it would be a car that doesn't need to be smogged you might get away with it for longer, but if you get pulled over you're screwed.

If the cop wants to REALLY be a pain, you could have tons of issues. If the motor has EVER BEEN CHANGED it has to go by the ref. Even if you say, put a 427 in a 68 stang that came with a 289. Regardless, you have to get a bar lable.

True, but cops here are jap car racist. And no i'm not being sarcastic, or exaggerative. Me and a friend were driving back from the batman premiere at 3 am or so in a stock color yellow crx with the only visible mod being a chrome muffle slightly visible from the back, almost stock looking tip. He's keeping it under 3k cruising at a nice 2,300 or so, sounds absolutlly stock. And everything he's done is legal, motor swap and all. Two cops saw us get off the freeway and turned the opposite direction they were going to go (they were in a left hand turn lane and turned right to fallow us) and fallowed us at an obvious 20 feet away. We continue to drive calm going where we were going to go, and the continue to fallow us up through this neighborhood. We stop and park, and the cop pull up next to us and say "pop your hood."

We spent the next 3 hours till the next days sun was starting to show explaining the the cop about the smog laws about motor swaps and telling him to call the reff who did the bar lable (good friend and previous eployeer of my friend) to check legality. The cop was also up in arms about the intake, wich had a 50 state legal CARB sticker. The cop was an ***, and was really ticked off after 3 hours that he couldn't give us a ticket.

With cops like that in my area, why would I want to spend 3k+ on a swap just to loose it becuase some cop want to pic on someone? CA just sucks big balls.

PS I also have some awsome stories about cops going easy on people becuase the cars where american. I've also raced a cop several mustangs, with the cops being the ones starting the whole things. Cops here are just very anti-rice and take it out on all japanese cars.

Well it is to be expected. Seeing how the car scene exploded, along with street racing (A while back), what do you expect. They arent just picking on you because of your car, they are doing their job. If they see a car that looks suspicious, of course they are going to hastle you. As far as the Intake, he is just stupid for not being able to read.

I was driving a completely stock Acura Integra with aftermarket wheels through Hamilton County, Indiana when a cop started riding my bumper. Finally, he threw on his lights. He initiated the conversations with the usual, " Do you know why I pulled you over?" Of course, I answered with, "no". He said, "Cause you were drivin like a bat out of hell and switching lanes all over the place". After a short discussion about the speed limit on that road, the officer admitted that I was not speeding. The speed limit was 50 and I had not exceeded that speed between the 3 stop lights that I had travelled on that road. Then the officer proceeded to tell me that I was switching lanes all over the place. I explained to him that I had no idea what he was talking about. He went to his car and came back with a warning. I then asked what he meant by switching lanes all over the place. I realized while he was gone that I had switched lanes once since I had been on the road. I asked him if I had crossed any lines. He said that he meant that I was all over the place when I was switching lanes. I had gone in a three lane from the right hand side of the right lane to the left hand side of the center lane. I again asked him if I had crossed the fog line or into the left lane. He said that I had not, but I had gone from the right hand side of the right lane to the left hand side of the center lane. I explained that was not illegal to which he replied, "well you didn't signal when you switched lanes". I finally told him that he had something there, I didn't signal when I switched lanes. All of this because I was driving an Acura Integra with aftermarket wheels.

Like most other companies around us, they only guarantee a start-up warranty within 30 days since there is no liability on how you drive the car or how much abuse the motor takes. We wont have a motor ready for you for another week im waiting for some parts to come in to send it out.

Have thought of getting an Infinity front clip? I don't know what model but Infinity had a SR20 in one of their models State side, but its a NA motor (no turbo :mad:). I could be wrong. Search ofr infinty here at Hybridz and I'm sure that you can find something. I think it was the g20 or the m20, I don't know infinity models very well.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Yeah It Was The G20.... It Came With The Fwd Sr20de. The Fwd Engine Is Completely Different From The Rwd Platform, And There Is No Rwd Trans That Bolts Right Up To The Fwd Engines.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The Sr20det Was Never Sold In The Us....

The G20t Was Not Turbo, The T Actually Stands For Touring. Which Meant The Car Got More Aggressive Suspension And Some Added Driving Comforts.

Some of you may be a little misguided on SR tuning.

It's so easy to make power.

...Think , SIMPLE

It's all about the tuning. Most people in America go way overboard, never reaching the numbers they thought they would. S15 engines. You gotta be kidding me. Sure it's nice, new and makes the most power from the factory.

S14 motors....why? The best part about these two motors is the turbine. VTC isn't that special. I mean, if you have the extra money, sure, why not. But most of us are all about the bang for the buck. So without further rant....

The SIMPLE way to make great power in a redtop S13 SR20DET....

- Bolt ons:

Ex.Mani, Down pipe, catback, FMIC, intake,bov,

Fuel pump, S15 factory injectors

RNN14 GTiR T28BB, or S14/15 T28BB.

(S15 specR has the BEST factory SR turbine, it's diff from lesser S15's)

- RS Enthalpy tuned ECU + BOOST.

What do you think this would put down????

How about a SOLID, 300WHP with matching TQ numbers.

It's common in the world of Schassis tuning.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

And Its Been Covered Ad Nauseum, And Its Not In His Price Range.....

Reading Comprehension > You. Come On Man We Have Been Guiding Him Along For Over 3 Threads Now. Some Of Us Have Tons Of Experience With Sr's While Some Have General Working Knowledge Of Sr's With Vast Experience In Performance Engines In General, None Of Us Are Stupid. In Fact I Told Him Many Times To Do What You Just Laid Out Like You Were King.

Btw:

550cc Injectors Can Be Had For Less Than S15 480cc

You Left Out Your Big Limiter The Maf

Down Pipes And Cat-back Aren't Available For The Sr Swapped Z-cars Its Straight Custom Exhausts

Bov's Aren't Required To Make Any Power

The Gtir Turbo Has Been Proven To Be Weaker Than The S15 T28bb And Less Effcient.

Ohh And The Big One A Enthapy Tune With A New Z32 Maf And Plug Would Cost As Much As A Haltech Or Microtech Standalone (which Provide Maf Delete Features).... The Only Benefit Of The Enthapy Is Simplicity And Accountability.