HybridZ

Got a new air compressor but I need some help wiring it up...

80LS1T

I just got my new air compressor today. Its a Snap-On Signature Series BRA517V. Its made for Snap-On by BIG RED Air Compressors. Its a 220V, 2 stage, 80 Gallon tank, with 175 MAX PSI. Its putting out 17.X SCFMs. It supposed to be rated at 15 years in a shop environment. So this should last forever with just me using it. Although I do plan to have a small shop on the side once I buy a house. But that wont be for a while though. Thats why I got a big air compressor with a good history of customer service.

Anyways, I have never wired up a 220V piece of equipment. What I do know is that I have a 220V outlet right next to the circuit breaker box that is wired up to a 40A breaker. This is more than enough. The draw from the motor is 22A. The compressor will be only 10-15 feet from the outlet and the manufactor recommends using 8 gauge wire for 0-25'. The outlet is one of those 3 prong outlets like used for driers or stoves. So if I just go out an buy a male end for this outlet I just need to know how to hook it up to the compressor. It has 4 outlets on the relay block inside the compressor.

What else do you guys need to know to help me hook this thing up?

DCP_1988.JPG

Guy

There are no wires coming out of the compressor. I am supposed to have an electrican hook this up. Screw that! :)

Here's the numbers off of the motor....

HP.........5.0

Hz.........60

Volts......230

Amps......22

Time.......CONT

Code.......F

FR.....Y56HZ

SF......1.00

PH......1 (I think this means 1 Phase?)

RPM......3450

Here's some pics of the wiring going into what I think is a relay....

DCP_2002s.JPG

The white, black and green wire are from the motor(the 3 wires on the left of the pic). The white and black go into one side of the "relay" and the green is grounded on the bottom of the relay which is grounded on the frame of the compressor. The other black and white wire are from the switch. The white wire is going into the other side of the "relay" and the black is going into the side of the "relay".

DCP_1995s.JPG

Above where the wires from the compressor go into the "relay" there are screws that look like they would hold the wires from the line going out of the compressor. The white wires are straight across from each other and the black is across from the blue wire that goes to the back of the relay.

Guy

ok that relay thingy you are showing is called a contactor.

its bassically a switch.

on the left side of the contactor(on your pics) you have the LOAD.

all you have to do is run your 2 wires(LINE) to your poles(the screws you were talking about)one on each side

and then run the ground wire to the frame/chassis with the other ground.

the wires on the side of the contactors is what causes it to ''pull'' to come on

(via a pressure switch im sure instead of a cheap lever like mine)

it will make it easier to understand how the switch works if u remove(temporarily) the little cover so u can see exactly how the contactor works. its really easy

IM me if u need further assistance @ v8dats

Yup, v8dats is right, it's a contactor. The two live lines from the wall outlet get hooked up to the contactor directly across the black and white line in the picture. Just get a 8 to 10 gauge, 3 wire rubber covered conductor, Kinda looks like an over sized extension cord, They are ususally black and about the 1/2 to 5/8 inch in diameter. Get the matching plug for the dryer outlet that you already have and a 3/4 to 1 inch wire restrainer so when the cable goes into the electrical box in the compressor, it doesn't cut cut. Then strip about 4 inches of the outside covering of the cable and 1/2 inch from each of the 3 wires. insert the black and white wires into there corresponding spot's on the contactor and the green to ground. On the plug side, open the male plug that you bought and connect the black and white wires to the flat blade spades. the ground goes to the half moon shaped spade. Sometimes the screws in the plug that hold the wires in placed are color coded. The silver screw gets the white, the brass screw gets the black and the green screw gets the ground (you guessed it, green). I hope that helps.

So I have to put my 2 power wires in across from where the black and white wires coming from the motor are going in? And as for the ground, shouldnt it go into the contactor and not juse grounded on the frame? The reason Im asking is because there are 4 spots to screw the wires in but apparently I only need 2 of them?

Guy

Ok I just got in from the garage and I have my compressor wired up and operational! I did just what you said fastzcars and put the 2 hot wires across from the wires coming in from the motor on the contactor and grounded the ground wire to the frame.

Man it took for ever to fill that tank up! I have it draining right now so that I can hook up all the other things I need like a regulator and water filter. I cant wait to use this thing! Air delivery is no longer a problem in my garage!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! Hybridz never fails to answer my questions!

Guy

Guy,

If you have anymore trouble or just want some peace of mind, let me know. I deal with 480V, 220V, 208V single and 3 phase all the time at work.

Will you have the Z ready for the "license to Cruise" car show on the Ave??

I hope to have my Z there, it has been a good year for shows for me, 4 shows - 5 trophies, 4 firsts and one "Best of Show".

Bill

Bill, no my car wont be ready for anything this year. I almost have it driveable again. After that I am starting with the body work. Thats pretty much the reason I bought the compressor, so that it can keep up with a sander and paint gun. I will only be doing the body work and primer though. I dont trust myself painting with the House of Kolor paint(no experiece). It will be ready for paint come spring though and then it'll be on the road!

I used 8 Gauge wire and its running about 10 feet from the compressor to the circuit breaker.

Guy