HybridZ

This is a Hybrid forum.. so what car can we put a L28ET in..

Guest ON3GO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea of slamming a L28et in a old maxima or 810 is cool. However you should know that it will not simply just bolt right in like it will in a Z. The old 810's and maxes had L24e engines. They will bolt to the tranny, to the engine mounts, but the problem is the oil pan. A Z engine has a rear sump pan and the 810/max has a front sump. (it overhangs the front of the crossmember rather than the rear of the crossmember) I think the L28et block could be modified to accept the other pickup tube, but some drilling to the block would be required.

I would go for the Nissan C31 Laurel, I have one I picked up for $100 NZD = $73 USD, got it for the R200 diff, front suspension (going to use that in another future project - bigger disc brakes + vented at that) and maybe some of the engine bits. It is a Laurel Medalist Turbo. It is powered by a L20ET so sticking a L28ET would be easy + big power gain. It would be a real wolf in sheeps clothing. Or find a Cedric (260c is what they were called locally here in NZ)of the late 70's a C330 here is a pic of the hardtop - fitted with L26 = again easy swap.

dat260cc.jpg

Here are a few pics of my Laurel

c31-1.jpgc31-2.jpgc31-3.jpgc31-4.jpgc31-5.jpg

That Laurel strikes me as some sort of really old skool Skyline..

Actually it is very similar to a 77-79 810 coupe

Funny you should say that - the running gear is the same as the R30 Skyline's that we also got here in NZ. And I plan on using the front suspension is my 120Y coupe (B210) as it looks to be a straight swap. I will install a L16 and dogleg 5 spd I have to create a 160Z replica (in South Africa and in Japan the B210 was sold with the L4). In S.A they were called 140Z (L14 power) and 160Z(L16 power) both fitted with twin dellortos from the dealer. In Japan they were called Nissan Sunny Excellent again fitted with either the L14 or L16. I plan to build this as a run little track car they are under 815kg in road trim so with cage and bits I should get to about the same or less and have some fun on a cheap budget.

The first pic of the Cedric aka 260c hardtop we did not get here in NZ we only got the 4 door (non hardtop ie doors with frames). However there might be some private imports of the hardtops. How about this beast a 810 fitted with a different front end called a Bluebird GT and fitted with the L20a from the factory.

13267589_full.jpg

• 1 year later...

Datsun PU would give you the ability to lighten the front and add to the back in ways no one would suspect. Wheel wells would allow larger tires for better traction and easy to mini tub if needed. You can cover it all with a tonneau cover, trick it up like a lowrider and kick butt! You could even possible do one of the "undercar" turbo setups in the bed out of sight....

IF you where to get a old datsun pickup and keep the old 4 cyl in the front where it looks like its all there, then have the L28 in the back under a truck bed cover with a very ricy sounding muffler.

Outfit with the normal stickers, dozens of little dive planes, big wheels showing off the 4 inch drum brakes, large air dams which you run into curbs then fill the cracks with bondo. And a very larger aluminum painted to look like carbon fiber. Get and a whole bunch of guages and some neon throw on one of those under shirts and your good to go.

Mopar i know a guy that did that with a Toyota pu. He put an Eldorado 500 and transaxle in the bed and left the 20r up front for ballast. Then he put a solid camper shell on the back to hide the motor. He made home built headers that seperated each 2 cylinders and ran 4 1 1/2 inch tailpipes with glasspacks so it sounded like a swarm of bumble bees. He had a blast with that thing and won a few dollars as well...He finally popped its cork when he added 150 shot of NO2 and eventually it ended up on the pile of broken toys... I knew another guy years back did the same thing with a Javelin and a Toronado drivetrain.... that was interesting as well.

The first gen celica would be a tough fit. The made the nose longer after the first few years. Then longer again. Then they made it longer yet again in order to fit an inline 6 in it (1M i think).

So to put the L28 would be a stretch. Though those cars do fit V variety motors quite nicely.... (I got some hands on time with one at a junkyard that I really wanted to buy, but had no space for a random chassis)

• 1 month later...

The Toyota Cresida. Not such a bad car to sit in and drive around, and extremely non-descript. Looks like every other small japanese 80s sedan. It's engine seriously lacks in the torque department, and an L6 would completely fix that. I just don't remember if it's RWD or FWD. My family got rid of the one we had a very long time ago.

That's what I was thinking.

Or you can put stickers/wing/fart can on the early 80s maxima, that could tip the scales back in your favor. They'll be blinded by ricer-rage and want to take your money.

I cuncur. If you want to make some money, this sounds like your best bet. Hell, cover up the turbo noises with a wistle exhaust tip or something. Just make it look like a hand me down.