HybridZ

POLL: S30 guys show of hands, who's getting exhaust fumes in the car?

Guest bastaad525

Do you have a problem with exhaust fumes getting into your S30?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem with exhaust fumes getting into your S30?

• Yes. From day one, but I haven't really tried to fix it yet.
    • Yes. I've replaced some/all of the rear rubber, have sealed other gaps, but it's still bad.
    • At first yes, but replaced rear seals and/or tracked down holes/gaps and now it's completely gone.
    • No. Used some other 'trick', such as longer/pointed down exhaust, a sunroof or rear wing.
    • Nope! I'm a lucky guy! It's never been a problem and I haven't done anything to fix it!

Guest bastaad525

Just wanted to see how widespread this problem really is among S30 guys, and who of us have done what to get rid of it and what the success rate has been like.

Personally, I've gone to some lenghts, replacing rear hatch weatherstrip, rear taillights, and a sealing up a host of other gaps like where the fuel tank vent hoses pass thru into the interior to get to the vapor tank, but I still get a smell on decel with the windows down.

Well lets see a show of hands guys :D

Guest bastaad525

I just want to be sure that ONLY S30 guys are voting in this poll (original 240, 260, and 280z) no ZX's please! I know it can sometimes be an issue with the ZX's as well but I don't think it's nearly as bad. I just want to be sure a lot of ZX guys don't come in here voting for the bottom/last option and skewing the results :D

I smell exhaust only when I roll down the driver side window. My exahust exits the stock location and comes out about 4" from the bumper. My back hatch is perfectly sealed and I have no wind noise when all the windows are up. I get no leaks from pressure washing. If I have a tail wind or at a stopsign about 50% of the time I smell exhaust, never on the freeway or above 40mph, but it's not that bad anyway, I consider it the smell of freedom.

I also smell gas when I floor it with the window down, not sure if that's unburnt fuel or air cleaner spray.

Only with the drivers window down and only at very low speeds and it is not very bad. I have an over sized BRE type spoiler (about 1.5" taller) that I think helps the situation. My rear hatch seal is in pretty bad shape but it does not creep in through it. My old `71 had no spoiler and al the seals were bad and the fumes were almost unbearable.

i have drove/rode in about 10 s30s and 7 or so of them had bad exhaust fumes in the cabin. I rode in a triple weber 72 with the windows down and at all speeds there were no fumes at all, weird. Now my personal 77 I used to own was bad then i replaced the hatch seal which seemed to fix it a little. It had an awesome AC so i would throw that baby on and fumes were gone. My 76 has all new rubber and a 3 piece rear spoiler, now it does have an open downpipe off the turbo and even with the windows down or up the fumes are not bad at all, but still there are a little at slow speeds.

Guest bastaad525

Someone did a poll like this before? I know I've seen many topics of people (usually newcomers to hybrid Z) coming in asking about it and ways to fix it.

But never just a poll to get a show of hands to see just how big a percentage of us this affects, and more importantly, for those who have tried to fix it, how many actually did completely get rid of it (so far only one :D ).

I have a BRE spoiler and a new hatch seal and I don't smell anything. The taillight seals are original and falling apart. I never did patch the bolt holes inside the car when I removed the 280z bumper shocks, so you'd think I would get exhaust coming in from that, but not at all.

If I have the a window down, when I come to a stop, I occasionally smell exhaust, but hardly ever. No tip on my muffler, just sticks out about 1-2" from the body.

I wasn't able to really drive my car until after I did all that stuff, so dunno if I had a problem to begin with.

I said I had the problem then fixed it, but I should probably clarify. It came back again. It was fine for about 5 years, then I think the hatch weather strip took a crap on me again. My next attempt at a more permanent fix is going to be to grind down the little lip that the hatch seal sits on and then use a door style JC Whitney type weather strip. I really think that half *** gluing that soft piece of weatherstrip in there is the problem on MOST Z's. Of course, like all of the other mods on my car I'll be able to tell you how well it worked out in a few years when I get it back on the road... :(

I have a HUGE 'whale tail' on my 280, I replaced the hatch seal, and my exhast exits about 6" after the rear roll pan. (no bumper) If I drive for too long without the windows down, I get quite exhasted. :lol: It's a bit better than when I got my car (holes evrywhere, door and hatch seals ripped to shreds, exhast system hanging/leaking) but it still there.. I just think of it as part of Z ownership, and really, old Z's are SUPOSED to smell a bit. :-D

Guest bastaad525

BRE spoiler has been on my to-do list since buying the 240. I've always loved the look of that little 'duck tail'.

And I've always been convinced that it would alter the rear aerodynamics enough to greatly help with or eliminate the exhaust smell.

one day I will answer this question for myself :D one day

Guest bastaad525

does anyone else wonder/worry what possible effects this might have on our health? I mean... isn't inhaling exhaust fumes just begging for cancer or something? I mean... mine used to be REALLY bad, enough to make my eyes water and my throat burn. Luckily I've been able to cut down on it quite a bit, usually I only get it if I accelerate hard and then suddenly left off/slow down. Otherwise, just a whiff of it here or there. But since I drive hard pretty often :D well it's still getting enough smell in there to be a problem as far as I'm concerned.

And I just wonder how this might be affecting my health. I mean, if this really would be something that might end up giving me cancer or something than I'm gonna end up selling the car... going fast isn't worth taking years off my life.

Who dosnt!!!!! would be quicker

Once my backhalve is complete i plan on running a single 4 inch pipe out in front of the rear tire on teh driver side. should get rid of it i hope

I have my pipes exiting in front of my rear tires and i havent had any problems with fumes.