HybridZ

2+2 or 1+1?

Guest grimlynsan

Guest check_engine

The longer wheel base in the 2+2 is definetly an advantage and a 260z chassis without engine should go for cheap since they aren't as desirable as the 240z. Drop an sr20det in, it will save weight in the front. A heavy rb engine will make the car over-steer, and the sr20 can make good power and has alot of aftermarket support. Save as much as you can on the aboved mentioned components b/c your gonna have to blow most of your money on the suspension. As far as suspensions go, try posting at www.drift411.com , they can probably get you headed in the right direction. Remember that drifting is about controling a slide, so building a predictable suspension is key (most D1 cars actually handle really well). Best of luck!

p.s. Where did you find that red Z?!

I would have thought that the shorter wheelbase is better, longer wheelbase gives better straight line stability which results in more reluctance to turn. But thats the theory, in practice I don't know. Guess that the long wheelbase would be easier to control, if you could get its arse out enough in the first place.

One thing though, a S30 would have to have the body stiffened up a lot so you could use the hard suspension setup required for drifting. A really good full rollcage or else a half cage plus chassis beefing up.

Guest grimlynsan
p.s. Where did you find that red Z?!

Ah... so you like the 180sx meets Z.

I think its the only non-Z i'd ever want to own. (presuming I don't win the lottery or something).

I found it on some guys site. I have it bookmarked at home and will post it up. Has lots of excellent stuff.

I think i'll stick with the 2+2 I have. The engine conversion is a little while off yet anyway and I won't be drifting with an L26. (even if it has SUs and a mild cam!)

Thanks for your input guys. It largely confirmed what I had already thought- that the longer wheelbase would provide a nice 'pendulum' effect which would be useful for drift.

Guest check_engine

A few more things you might want to consider. Get a vlsd, or at the very least weld your diff., it makes drifting ALOT easier. If you have sway bars, take the front ones off, or at least use lighter ones in the front and beefier ones in the rear. Use smaller rims, 15s at the most. A smaller contact patch will make them easier to get loose. Use bald tires in the back, with the pressure a little cranked up. You can get them for free at most tire stores, which is good b/c you'll be going through alot of them. Use good tires in the front, dial down the pressure a little if you want. You need your front tires to grip so that you can control your slide. Also, some people seem to prefer drums in the back cause they are easier to lock up. I don't have any experience with them, just passing on some info a few friends of mine swear by. Finally, get alot of duck tape and secure the e-brake button down so that it moves freely, you'll be using it all the time. Keep your seat belt on, you can't control a drift if your sliding in your seat!