HybridZ

When will Nissan grow some balls?

BrandonsZ

Come on, it's time enough to have a V-8 in a Z from the factory... what's up with that? Maybe a 500Z? That's be sweet. And why not make it twin turbo? I think we missed our chance to see this with gas prices rising, they are starting to concentrate on other things like mileage in the comercials instead of horsepower. Sad sad sad. Maybe someday.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, it's time enough to have a V-8 in a Z from the factory... what's up with that? Maybe a 500Z? That's be sweet. And why not make it twin turbo? I think we missed our chance to see this with gas prices rising, they are starting to concentrate on other things like mileage in the comercials instead of horsepower. Sad sad sad. Maybe someday.

also, nissan wouldn't make any money off of a 5.0L TT beast like you're talking about. think about it. of the people that could afford it, how many people would actually buy one?

they have to keep the z AFFORDABLE and at least a tad bit practical (more than 15 miles a gallon) so the z doesn't die out!

doubt you will see a turbo one.. MAYBE supercharged but still doubt it.

skyline or what it will be called... the "GTR" will be turbo so i doubt they will make the Z some what close to it.

mike

For some reason the Japanese have a cultural inhibition against V8's and large-displacement engines in general. Yes, I'm aware of their displacement tax. But somehow a high-strung turbocharged inline-6 is OK, whereas an easy-going V8 is taboo.

Fortunately at least the Germans (well, at least Mercedes) are starting to turn around, with some decent-displacement V8's.

I'd love to see a large-displacement, low-winding N/A V8... in something weighing under 4000 lbs!

For some reason the Japanese have a cultural inhibition against V8's and large-displacement engines in general. Yes' date=' I'm aware of their displacement tax. But somehow a high-strung turbocharged inline-6 is OK, whereas an easy-going V8 is taboo.

[/quote']

here's a few, there are more:

http://www.nissan-global.com/JP/NEWS/2005/_STORY/050817-01-j.html

http://www.toyota.co.jp/jp/news/05/Jul/nt05_040.html

http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/TOYOTA/CELSIOR/latest/overview.asp

http://toyota.jp/crownmajesta/concept/concept/

Most cars in Japan seem to be small 4 cylinders though, they are cheap, fuel is expensive, roads are small etc

Was going to say that a 8 cylinder in a skyline would but completely wrong. Also i think it would be a 4.5l, a 5.3l, or a 5.6l because if im not mistaken those are the active nissan powerplant sizes for v8's (not that they couldn't make a new one). Does anyone know why everything is going i6 to v6 now? Lexus gs300 fromthe 2jz to a v6, skyline to a v6 (from what i read in this post). Whats up? is it for lower cg if so does the benefit really offset the cost of the extra two cams?

They make it easier to meat saftey requirments. It leaves more room for crumple zones. Look at the new miata. Most of the engineering changes are centered around safety requiremts, performance second.

Now, if there's ever been a great V8 car outside the US it's the 77' aston martin vantage. Very awsome car, and a engine noise to die for, carbed of course.

Is toyota still planning on an iron block V8? That's what they were saying WAY back when.

Personally, I'd rather see more 4 banger AWD cars. Most new cars are out there getting spanked by evos and stis because they've been desinged to be the perfect breed between practicallity and power. The 350Z look heavy by comparison to these 4 doors. And out of japan they're still some of the most powerful cars. Although the new NSX sounds promising. And honestly, if Ford made a car exactly like an Evo it would cost 50k easy. Sure, an evo or sti might not have great top end ability, but you don't see them taking much heed about that at the track.

I'm waiting for nissan to make a skyline that leaves these cars in the dust. The previous AWD system worked, but it wasn't better than the sti or evo system. All it did was give the skyline an advantage over non AWD cars.

Honestly though. I don't mind V6 motors. The NSX does fine with one and it'll beat alot of supercars in slaloms. Personally, I think the japanese are just smart. A V8's weight it hard to manage. Sure, a SBC or SBF isn't all that heavy. But look at modern V8's by comparison to old V8 motors. They're much larger and heavier, and require alot more to be put into the engine bay. It's fine for a go straight car, fun car, or cruise car, but there's a very specific formula to make it work. The vette does it perfectly. It puts tons of the weight reward with a rear transaxle, the engine sits way back, and the stance is WIDE with lots of rubber under the car. Is there a single japanese car that fits that description? The nsx isn't really of the same idea. The nsx is mostly aluminium and sheds weight as much as possible. The vette is still very much a cruising car. The japanese understand thier market and thier market doesn't need a V8 sports car. Simple as that.

I'd love to see a large-displacement' date=' low-winding N/A V8... in something weighing under 4000 lbs![/quote']

Amen to that. I so much enjoy going 0-freeway in just a few seconds never having to exceed 2000rpm. And with the same car go 0-freeway speed in just 2nd gear from a stop.

It's kind of relaxing, and enjoyable to have so many options.

But come on Nissan, we want that 5.0 Z! Okay fine make it a V6 if you must, but you already broke heritage when you went from I6 to V6.

in the words of topgear's clarkson "you see, I've always viewed a ferrari as a scaled down version of God."

So what the Z is, is the scaled down brother of the skyline wich is a scaled down ferrari wich is a scaled down God.

Hey, I'd be happy with a car that's 1/8 part god for only 30k...

The really sick part is that when I was in england the count of ferraris was comparible to Z06s (C5) around here. And M3s where everywhere. How discusting.

"There are too many damn people in this city with too much BLOODY MONEY!"

"The Z is meant to rev" ... well, this is precisely why I'm disillusioned with stock cars, especially in modern times. Anything that's reasonably light and nimble is saddled with an engine that's "meant to rev". But if you want an engine that's "meant to pull" - you end up with a pickup truck.

I drove 4.6L Mustangs several times. At least from my perspective, these are not legitimate V8 cars, in the traditional low-end-grunt sense. To get decent acceleration, these OHC engines have to be revved, too!

My Z ran only briefly, a little over 5 years ago, before the cam got wiped. i didn't have a tachometer, didn't have appropriate tires, and probably never got over 40 mph or 2000 rpm in that car. Nevertheless, it was breathtaking how it would pull nicely from a stoplight just by letting out the clutch, without so much as even touching the gas pedal!