HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

Running Toyota 4x4 front and Silvermine rear, slotted/drilled on all 4 and no issues in chumpcar races. Also no proportioning valve needed with 15/16 280z master.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Man that thing looks way too nice for Chumpcar.

Yeah I tried finding the 15/16 but couldn't find one that's affordable. I'm running the Wilwood 1" master and the stock proportioning valve. Hawk Blues on the front and Napa budget pads on the rear for balance. These brakes are working really good. We ran The Ridge 9 hrs Sat and 5 hrs Sunday and the brakes are barely worn.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd leave this in here...

Modern motorsport cobra front hubs with cobra PBR calipers

Modern motorsport stub axles with silvermine stage 4 rear setup

Volk Racing TE37V 17x10-20 5x114.3

The brakes clear, but the wheels need to be drilled since the original holes are 12mm for Japanese cars, but the studs on the hubs are 1/2".

10615336_10204414240456519_5971826430258

Edited by S30 SPL

Does anyone have a proper part number for the toyota 4x4 calipers off any online part store? I went to my local part store and there are 3 different types of calipers that came with the car and no way of seeing if those calipers are stamped with the s12 markings.

Does anyone have a proper part number for the toyota 4x4 calipers off any online part store? I went to my local part store and there are 3 different types of calipers that came with the car and no way of seeing if those calipers are stamped with the s12 markings.

It depends on which caliper you want:  vented or solid?

• 2 weeks later...

Running Toyota 4x4 front and Silvermine rear, slotted/drilled on all 4 and no issues in chumpcar races. Also no proportioning valve needed with 15/16 280z master.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is it the Rear big brake kit stage 4 you mean? Thats's the Ford mustang rear calipers. I would like to talk to someone using them with the toyota vented S12W calipers and discuss if its balanced or not.

Hello all. I just picked up a full brake upgrade set up from a guy on craigslist. s12w fronts, maxima rears, hawk pads all around. I was curious about the brake bias issue. Should I get a proportioning valve? Specifically for the maxima '88 I believe? Everything I got was brand new, came with new pads and rotors and master cylinder from 280zx.

nissanthanh, on 03 Nov 2014 - 9:27 PM, said:nissanthanh, on 03 Nov 2014 - 9:27 PM, said:nissanthanh, on 03 Nov 2014 - 9:27 PM, said:

Hello all. I just picked up a full brake upgrade set up from a guy on craigslist. s12w fronts, maxima rears, hawk pads all around. I was curious about the brake bias issue. Should I get a proportioning valve? Specifically for the maxima '88 I believe? Everything I got was brand new, came with new pads and rotors and master cylinder from 280zx.

Suggest that you spend several days researching "brake bias" and brake upgrade issues on HybridZ.  All of the anwers are here concerning brake bias and proportioning valves.

The Toyota S12w front and Maxima rear setup is highly biased towards the front. That being the case, a proportioning valve, which only installs on the rear brakes, will reduce pressure to the rear brakes making the front-rear bias issue worse.  In other words,  braking performance will not be improved with this so called upgrade.

And a proportioning valve on the front brakes is dangerous.

You can waste a lot of money trying to correct the bias issue experimenting with pad combinations.

Note that most street "performance pads" such as Hawk have poor cold bite which is what you don't want when the guy in front of slams on his brakes. Do a Google search "Hawk pads cold bite" and for other pads etc.  

Well maintained stock brakes are fine.

By the way, the rear axle shafts were designed to work with drum brakes. If the wheel mounting flange of the axle shaft is warped it will cause the pads to drag on any disk upgrade. Recommend that you check the runout on your flanges before installing any rear disk brake setup.  The flanges can be turned up to a point to correct the warp. Rear wheel bearing issues can also cause pads to rub on the disk.  If you do the rear disk swap replace the wheel bearings at the same time and reassemble the stub axle per the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

Edited by Miles

While we are all resurrecting a 9 year old thread, I have a brake question!  I am sold on the AZC brakes, and now that there is a parking brake option for the rear, it seems like a no brainer (if you are like me have no family to support and enjoy going deep into debt to overbuild every component of your 240z that is).  I also have my Watanabe type Rs, 16x9 -13 F  16x9.5 -19R which I LOVE and wouldn't trade for anything less than an OS Giken Dual Cam head :D  

240hoke did a terrific write up of installing the FRONT brakes I am getting with the wheels I have, found here: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/81733-azc-install-with-watanabes-and-arp-studs/   ...but he has a different set up on the rear.

My question is this (I have searched and found no conclusive answers) what do I need to fit my REAR brakes (with parking brake caliper), with my rear wheels?  The rear rotors and calipers are a bit thinner, so I hope nothing.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Does any one know the size bolts to use with 240sx calipers using modern motor sports bracket. Any info on brakes besides the hundred times people say toyota calipers would be nice.

Edited by jeremy101

• 1 month later...

The years roll on, and despite an ever-increasing proliferation of brake options, there remains tense debate on whether "stock is best, if well-maintained", or whether now in 2016 an upgrade is sensible.

Like many of us, I've had a car sleeping for decades.  If it awakes, it will need thorough overhaul of brakes - and if that's stock, it will be some form of rebuilt components.  Towards that end, I keep wondering: is there an incrementally lighter and more aggressive variant on the stock 280Z front brakes?  Does anyone make the stock casting of the brake-caliper, but in aluminum?  Or perhaps another caliper that works with the stock rotors, without an adapter-bracket, but which offers more piston-capacity, and/or less weight?

I say this because on the one hand, I'm leery of an ambitious brake-upgrade venture.  But on the other hand, it seems to be timid and unimaginative to merely be replacing 40-year-old components with identical (but rebuilt) parts.

• 9 months later...

I'm looking at getting a kit made up.

AP Cp5040 calipers

290mm AP discs

alloy bells

brackets

ds2500 spec pads

I think it'll be the best brake kit option going.  A much much better option than anything wilwood etc.

It wouldn't be cheap $2200ish....

12145568_1635640743364112_1723722791_n_z

I feel like this thread needs to be updated. I know there are more aftermarket options out there and that people have tried things not on this list.

Case win point: http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-240z/brake-upgrades/240z-260z-280z-rear-brake-upgrade-disk-conversion-kit

That's just a 240sx rear caliper. The rear disk is fancier looking than the stock 300zx rear rotor, but seeing as rear stopping power are almost never the S30's problem, I don't see it adding much.

It does make sourcing everything much easier if you wanna save time though. Can't fault it for that.