HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

I dont have 1500 to spend on brakes, I am doing the whole setup for around 500. Otherwise I might consider it

heh same, I am going to end up spending about $800 on mine for front and back including rotors. Granted it won't stop like wilwoods (i did vented toyota and 240sx rear discs) but it should still stop on a dime.

i found out some interesting things since my last posts asking about spacer sizing. i went to autozone with some calipers (the measuring tool kind) and asked to see two different 4x4 brake calipers. specifically the s12+8 (1986 4wd 4-cyl) and the s12w (1988 4wd 6-cyl) and started measuring. in terms of bolt the pattern spacing and the spacing from mounting surface to center of rotor position - they are exactly the same. i thought that was funny becuase im always reading how they are so different. however, the s12w has 4 large pistons and the s12+8 has 2 equally large pistons next to 2 slgihty smaller pistons, so i was thinking do we really need the extra pistonage? - no, especially for those who arent adding brake proportioning valves with this swap. additionally the s12+8 is $40/each compared to the s12w at $55, pads are also about 15$ cheaper a pair for better compounds. also the s12w is heavy (guessing almost 12lbs), but we tend to overlook that. the s12+8 felt about 2-3 lbs lighter by hand. in my opinion the s12+8 is better so i bought them. well see if they take my old z calipers back as cores. haha.

now i know when doing the z31 5-lug hub hub and rotor swap, we need a spacer to push the rotor further inboard to line up with the caliper. i thought i read somewhere that it should be about 0.5in thick - wrong. after measuring for like 2 hours, i get 1.41in. so im like ok wtf. and i thought, well yea.. if you consider for the z31 rotor's shorter hat and the 0.75in extra spacing outboard from the z31 hub swap it should be around there. so is this the soluion - 1.41 inch spacers? that sounds so sloppy to me. is this how all the 240z guys are doing it? im sure there are plenty of you currently running the z31 5-lug setup on a 240z so id like to know if thats it or if theres some other way to go about it.

i can take pics with measuring calipers in them if you guys want, but help me out if you can. k thx. and hopefully this info is helping someone else out at the same time.

i was thinking about it.. if you mount the caliper on the other side (outboard) of the mounting bracket then that drastically kills the spacing needed.. comes out to be like 0.195in which would be placed around the caliper mounting bolts.. basically like washers between the mounting bracket and caliper. less material cost, less complicated, only need to buy 4 bolts vs 10. hub just stays mated to rotor which also eliminates that hub centering problem. does that sound right or is that how everyones already doing this?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WGtracker

Winner Power has stuff to fit some Nissan...

I know a lot of S15 and Z31 parts swap.... they have S14/S15 kits for about $2000+ with those 6-psiton calipers.

VPTuning.com is just starting to import them

wp2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread because of the rear disc upgrade. Unfortunatley in Australia we did'nt get the early Maxima that is mentioned.

Has any body got detailed drawings of these maxima brackets? Has anybody had them made up from aluminium?

Sulio

I've been following this thread because of the rear disc upgrade. Unfortunatley in Australia we did'nt get the early Maxima that is mentioned.

Has any body got detailed drawings of these maxima brackets? Has anybody had them made up from aluminium?

Sulio

I just did the S13/Z31 rear disc upgrade on my zed (finished it and was on the way to the track 2 minutes later). I made my own caliper brackets (large chunky fuckers by welding two bits of plate together). The guy who I brought the calipers/rotors off had it on his car with a modified R31 caliper bracket which worked. Might be worth having a squiz?

I now have access to a mill so after I've made up some nicer ones I'll give mine away if you wanted to have a look?

Dave

Sulio

They show up on eBay all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240-260-280-Z-rear-disc-conversion-brackets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34199QQitemZ4591029532QQrdZ1

This set is from a Hybrid Z member.

Guest grimlynsan

Sulio

I talked to nissan parts here in Brisbane and I got them to look up which Australian delivered vehicles came with the maxima bracket. I quoted the part number (which I have thanks to Hybridz) and it comes stock on an r30 skyline.

I have to go to the wreckers and pick one up. To my knowledge it will (without modification) support the use of an r30, r31 or 280zx rear disc and caliper setup.

hope this helps,

grimlynan

I just did the S13/Z31 rear disc upgrade on my zed (finished it and was on the way to the track 2 minutes later). I made my own caliper brackets (large chunky fuckers by welding two bits of plate together). The guy who I brought the calipers/rotors off had it on his car with a modified R31 caliper bracket which worked. Might be worth having a squiz?

I now have access to a mill so after I've made up some nicer ones I'll give mine away if you wanted to have a look?

Dave

Thanks Dave, that would be good. PM me when you've made the new ones.

I talked to nissan parts here in Brisbane and I got them to look up which Australian delivered vehicles came with the maxima bracket. I quoted the part number (which I have thanks to Hybridz) and it comes stock on an r30 skyline.

I have to go to the wreckers and pick one up. To my knowledge it will (without modification) support the use of an r30, r31 or 280zx rear disc and caliper setup.

hope this helps,

grimlynan

I was told this too so I checked out a junk yard with five R30 in it and three R31. All the brackets were welded on!? What was the part number you quoted?

Thanks

Sulio

They show up on eBay all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dats... 91029532QQrdZ1

This set is from a Hybrid Z member.

Thanks, I've sent him a message to see if he ships to Australia. What are these brackets worth from Nissan, new in US?

Guest grimlynsan

P/N: 44155-04S10

This bracket is on all r30 skylines up to aug 81 according to my source. Perhaps you only looked at post aug 81 liners! That would be a coincidence though.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also use a version of the S12+8 calipers for the vented rotor conversion.

Let me explain. There are two different Toyota 4x4 calipers with the casting mark "S12+8". One for a solid rotor and one for a vented (wider) rotor. The 1979-85 4x4 calipers are for use with a solid rotor but the 1986-88 4x4 calipers are also marked "S12+8" but they are designed to fit the wider' date=' vented rotor.

[img']http://home.comcast.net/~zcarfan/S12solid.jpg[/img]

S12vented.jpg

If you examine and compare the two different S12+8 calipers you will see that they are the same casting, (actually they are a pair of castings, one for each side of the caliper) except one is machined more that the other to be used on the solid (thinner) rotor.

There are advantages of using the S12+8 caliper (for the vented rotor) over the S12W caliper: It is lighter in weight; The S12+8 caliper body is not as wide as the S12W caliper, so clearance to the wheel is increased; The S12+8 caliper has two 43.0mm diameter pistons and two 33.8mm diameter pistons whereas the S12W has four 43.0mm diameter pistons. This increase in piston area requires a larger (1") diameter master cylinder when using the S12W calipers.

The belief that only the calipers with a “W†will fit a vented rotor is a myth.

If you want to use the S12W calipers then some additional application information is the 1989-1995 Toyota 4 Wheel Drive Pickup Truck.

I need some clarification here. :confused2 I've gone through several posts for my front brake swap, and I'm getting conflicting info on these calipers. I like the fact that S12+8 "late style wide" are lighter. And I assume that the install would be the same as the S12W. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Most posts regarding the S12+8 say that it's inferior to the S12W's. Is this realy the case? (It seems that they are talking about the solid rotor version though.)

Does anyone have these on their car?

What model Toyo are they from, and do I need to specify that I need the wide ones when I get them?

Thanks for any help.

Any truth to the rumor that the 240SX calipers crash the frame on lowered z's? I've been looking at a conversion kit on ebay that uses Maxima calipers and the seller swears that the 240SX conversion will hit the chassis. I'm sure someone has run the MM swap with coilovers.

Thanks.

Any truth to the rumor that the 240SX calipers crash the frame on lowered z's? I've been looking at a conversion kit on ebay that uses Maxima calipers and the seller swears that the 240SX conversion will hit the chassis. I'm sure someone has run the MM swap with coilovers.

Thanks.

???No truth! We've had this package out for a number of years now' date=' I'd be surprised if it's not on a Z with coilovers in every state by now. This setups on many track cars, even one locally that's slammed so excessively it's on the bump stops but no brake concerns. A large part of my early bracket design effort was to greatly improve ebrake geometry over the old 280ZX transplants and this was achieved by the non-symmetrical bracket pairing. Noone else has this, let alone the use of the 11-3/8's rotors which alone yield 14% additional leverage/plus swept area for improve thermal stability etc/clearance for CV axles etc.

Many other pros/cons our 240SX setup vs. 280ZX setups discussed on this old writeup I've had,

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/xtrainfo/reardisk.htm

I don't understand the ebay sellers 'savings' reference. In fact his brackets are more $ than ours. Looks like he's made a nice part if one has to use 10" rotors to clear 14" wheels. Even so ours have been tweaked by customers to run under 14's and some have done so without mod's. I would not use 25+yr old parts yard calipers without a full rebuild including ebrake, big reason we went with the 240SX calipers of which our customers have still been very consistently finding in the parts yards in fine shape.

Thank you for your response. I assumed that any problems would have surfaced by now. A search of 240SX conversion problems before my post yeilded one case which you clearly explained as a low production casting variation.

I'll be placing my order soon. Hope to find nice pieces in the yard. Remans are $70+core each at the autoparts store!