HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

Just pulled my invoice from MM, dated 9/5/2007. Prices may have changed. All prices quoted in US$

Billet 6061 aluminum rotor spacer, one pair, for use with 240Z hubs and vented Toyota 4x4 calipters. Includes 4x4 240Z high grade rotor hardware. $118.80

Note: I changed the order from 240Z to 280Z with no change in price. Price does not include shipping.

I basically deleted everything else from the kit to only get the spacer(s).

Do i really have to pay $495.00USD for the Billet '4x4' Aluminum Hub? i looked on m and m and i didnt see anything about a spacer. I have a 240z and the front s12 and 300zx rotors. all i need is the spacer. So am i stuck paying 495 for a spacer?

you can change the selections in this product at MM to buy only the spacer.....

for the stock 4 lug 240z, the spacers costs $110.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_61&products_id=48

• 2 weeks later...
Here’s the rotor spacer I designed for the 240Z hub. It features a lip that centers the rotor. This makes it more difficult to make but other spacers I have seen just use the mounting bolts for rotor centering which is not good engineering practice:

http://home.earthlink.net/~zcarfan/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/spacer.jpg

oh yeah one more thing. is your spacer for a 240z hub or a NA z31 hub on a 240z spindle? i still have the issue of Q1. i think i read on the forums that for my setup id need a 0.5in spacer, but i cant seem to find it again or confirm. just asking because i notice your drawing shows 0.663in thick.

thanks,

john

Anyone know which the exact dimension of the spacer required for the stock 240Z HUB? is it 0.5" or 0.663"?

Anyone know which the exact dimension of the spacer required for the stock 240Z HUB? is it 0.5" or 0.663"?

I’ve used my adapter on over twenty conversions. The correct thickness is 0.663 inches.

Why would it be “exactly†0.5 inch??

Steve,

Did you ever have a chance to verify how much thinner your spacer can be machined to fit the 280 hubs?

TIA

"If you want to use the 260/280Z hub the rotor spacer can be thinner. I think the difference is 8mm but I am quoting from memory. I need to re-measure my spare hubs to verify."

• 2 weeks later...

9mm is the correct thickness for the spacer when doing this swap on a 280z using the 84 vented rotors and the S12+8 calipers from a 87 Toyota 4x4 (with 4 pistons the same size, not the S12W). I know you didn't need that much information, but this thread has lacked some specifics :) I did have to "touch up" my calipers a bit with a carbide bit as the rotors glanced them a bit on their outside radius when the tire spun. I got a batch of remans that looked pretty used, so individual results will probably vary. Don't be scared of it, it was only a minute amount of material.

-Stan

• 1 month later...

Not to beat a dead horse - but can you use an aftermarket rotor such as the vented, slotted and cross drilled rotors of r1 concepts that are made for the stock 240-280z calipers with the S12, S12W or later 86-88 S12+8 Toyota calipers without using the rotor spacer? I am trying to save the $100-150 cost of the spacer.

Thanks,

John

That is a good deal. The calipers from an 82-83zx are $70-100 + the cost of the rotors.

Pallnet has some for sale right now for $50 that include the braided hoses. He also has the correct brackets for sale.

If you get them from a junk yard, make sure they come from a manual trans as the parking brake will surely be seized on an automatic car.