HybridZ

Arizona Z Car Aluminum Radiator

evildky

so I paid a bit more and got the Arizona Radiator casue I figured it was tried and true and the fit and the hoses would be a no brainer.....WRONG, he told me I needed a 280ZX lower hose and I thought that sounded wrong but tried it anyway, way too long not a chance of that thing going in, so today I tried a 78 280Z lower hose and it will go in but it has to kink as the posituion of the lower hose is up too high, the upper hose part number he provided is too big at one end! and this think sits about 3" below my lower core support, I told him when I paid that this was an early 71 if that matters but nothing has worked right, for all the drama I could have saved a hundred bucks and gone to jegs or summit! I guress I should have paid even more yet and got the MSA kit!

anyhow anyone get one of these things piped in and working? what hoses are you using!? I am pulling my hair out and I have to get this thing back together!

sorta pricey but you can always do something like this.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=194954&prmenbr=361

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1129&prmenbr=361

also search ebay, theres a few products like this for way less..

so thats all the info i can give, i never delt with that radiator before, i always thought it was to pricey for what it is...

mike

cutting the zx hose isn't an option as it would not lineup once cut down enouh and the 280 hose has the same result but in a different way, it's hard to explain without seeing them in place

I am just suprised a disappointed that arizona z car doesn't even know what they are selling!?

I used a 280zx lower hose. It does a lot of weird bends, but all I had to do was trim a couple of inches off the bottom hose and it worked fine.

If I remember right the stock zx radiator has an elbow on the bottom and the arizona z car one is straight, so I think you have to trim a bend on the bottom of the hose. Okay, so maybe it was more like 3 or 4 inches.

I'll see if I still have some pictures of the old turbo motor.

Dude! In your last thread I replied with another thread which had my solution:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102562&highlight=radiator

I tried the ZX lower hose as well and had the same issues. This is discussed in this thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92323&highlight=lower+radiator+hose

Yes I should have spend the money and gone for your solution, I just wanted simple streight hoses without any frankenhose drama, guess thats too much to ask, and I am glad to see I am not the only one with issues from arizona Z car, if I had ti to do over again, i would have gotten the jegs unit or the MSA, more money for better support or less money for the same support I get from arizona z car

Please look at the following pics, installation was simple :

Really sorry for not including a complete interactive DVD installation manual for

2 hoses and 4 hose clamps, I guess we need to discuss how to fill it with water next.

http://www.arizonazcar.com/eng2.jpg

http://www.arizonazcar.com/eng1.jpg

http://www.arizonazcar.com/rad15.jpg

http://www.arizonazcar.com/rad14.jpg

Here's a link to another pic of it on a 240Z, customer used 2 90 degree hoses

and a piece of tube to make upper hose work perfect, lower was trimmed 280ZX hose. http://www.arizonazcar.com/rad12.jpg

Our rad has custom made tanks to use maximum width available without hitting the frame rails , If the Z was one inch wider........could have used off

the shelf cheaper part.

Her's a pic of it on Cliftons 7MGTE powered 240Z (535 HP) http://www.arizonazcar.com/cliftons362.jpg

Note the custom made electric fan install and hose setup.

Crossflow design allows maximum cooling......inlet and outlet are where they have to go. Works super on 500+ HP TURBO cars here in Phoenix when it hits 116+ degrees in the summer.

We make parts for customers who need much more

performance than a stock type part provides. My products are geared for the

advanced amateur at a minumum who have the knowledge and skill to make aftermarket parts work. No arizonazcar.com parts fits like, works like, or looks

like a stock part.

Been selling the same part for over 10 years. Been on everything from stock 240's to wild mod V8's and turbos.

As you can see if you look at the links NO difficulties installing.

I like the silcone hose option personally........looks really sharp for a little more

money, Also Coolflex makes universal flexible chrome hoses that'll fit just about anything (cut to fit).

Dave

I had 2 dealings with Dave at Arizona. Both were smooth as can be. Both times the parts fit perfectly. Although I didn't get a radiator, I will in the near future, that's if I don't get super lucky in the salvage yards.

Dave is a good guy and his parts do what they were made to do in the way they were made to do it..

I'm a certified tech but even if I were a monkey on a leash standing next to an organ grinder, I could install this radiator.

Dave, when I asked you for a fitment of the upper hose you gave me the car quest part number. I asked again for the fitment, you gave me the carquest part number. when I specifically asked for a fitment due to lack of carquest in my area (found one in my city just inconvienient) you said you'd look into it and get back to me, you never responded. I went to carquest and bought the hose you suggest, it's entirely too large at one end, if you planned on that hose why not make the upper nipple 1.5" so this hose would actually fit?

The lower hose; you said to use the 280ZX hose (you didn't specify year, I got the 83 model?) this thing was huge and was only going in kinked and cut but I knew the 280Z hose would be a closer fit. I went and got a 280 hose and the lower fitting is in t he wrong location and causes the hose to kink, I put the radiator in the lower position and it still kinks, why didn't you just mount the nipple higher on the tank?

The radiator hangs low but you did mention that in your discription, I'll just have to be carefull loading and unloading. From all the issues I have to assume you found a fitment of radiator readily manufactured and you buy them off the shelf and add the mounting brackets and resell them. I was expecting something a bit more plug and play. I will make it work and I am sure it will do an excellent job of cooling. I have been disappointed in the lack of details provided for what you sell and a "mod for a z car" not a "radiator that you say can be made to work if you can find the right parts".

13000Picture_0011-med.jpg

On a positive note; Pallnet,

I love the fuel rail fits and looks great !

Thanks.

Honestly if it were me, I would get the silicone hoses. I like the race parts more then anything else. Plus you can put them like you want. This should be a pce of cake with all the info found on here..

Are you putting an airdam on the car? If so, you will not see the rad hanging down. I have a ZX custom 4 core in mine and it kinda hangs down a bit but with the airdam on the car, you can't see it.

I have seen other aluminum radiators where the bottom hose end on was pointing straight at the alternator. This is something to think about. Cause if you don't have that problem then your a big step ahead. Not to mention that this rad bolts up.

Dave is a standup guy. Everything I see him saying is true to what I have seen from other installs.

Hey, I am sorry you had trouble fitting your radiator hoses. However, I think you're being pretty unfair to Dave. He didn't have a application to tell you because he went in and found a hose that worked and got the part number. As far as customer service, Dave has always bent over backward to help me with any issue or question I had (some of which were due to me buying one of his kits second hand from a 3rd party.) I don't think cutting a radiator hose down a few inches constitutes "serious modification" to his radiator. If they're kinked, they are too long, cut them down.

I don't understand what more he could have done except come over to your house and cut the hoses for you. I think we're all lucky he's decided to put so much time and energy into making parts for our cars, and I hope he continues to, despite threads like this. My life would be much harder if I had to do the R&D he does and fabricate the parts from scratch.

i have installed the radiator from dave at arizonazcar in my personal cars.

and many in my customers cars. i must say that i agree with pallnet, it fits perfect in the opening. making use of every inch so to be as big as it can be to do an excellant job of cooling.

the last one i installed was in a 71 240 just last week.

i installed it in the upper holes so it would mount as low as it could so as to clear the hood when closed. i used a zx hose for the bottom. i installed it upside down from normal . it came straight out of the radiator and right past the alt with great clearance. i trimmed the hose off at the top outlet and it fit very good. the upper hose was a bit large at one end. i put the larger end toward the thermostat housing and cut off the large end so it fit .

no issues that i could find. it was a 30 minute install.

im not aware of anyones abilities to install a radiator other than myself, but i have never been the sharpest tool in the shed and i made it fit with minimal effort.

it does stick down just like dave told me it would but it is higher than the crossmember under the engine so that will hit way before the rad does. i actually like the idea that it is lower to grab all the air it can to do a better job of cooling.

i got stuck in a traffic jamb a few months back. i sat in one spot for an hour and 10 minutes in 100 degree temps. i idled the entire time with a/c on with no everheating the whole time. that was a true test of the radiators cooling ability.....it passed with flying colors.i ran that radiator for 2 years and still going strong. not so much as a tiny leak.

(my 2 cents worth)................for the price he sells the radiator for and as good of a part that it is......i am glad to play with a hose for a few minutes to make a clean install.

try the lower hose upside down to see if it goes as good as mine did....hope this helps

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to update this thread a bit...

We just finished installing an Arizona aluminum radiator today, and purchased the hoses recommended above:

Upper Hose: Carquest #22373

Lower Hose: from 280ZX

The upper hose was great, with a little trimming. The lower hose could also be trimmed to fit. However, we found that the following hose was a MUCH better fit for the lower hose, and goes perfectly around the alternator with no kinking.

Lower Hose: NAPA 7563

I hope this helps someone out!

David