HybridZ

i went heads up.....

fl327

with a mustang 5.0 in a 1999 prelude sh with 28k that we installed a bolt on turbo and lowered, went for a test run, 4000.00 worth of parts on a 2.2DOHC with vtec and 5lbs on a car that costs 30k with financing is good for about a car and a half on a 5.0 with 170k, and every bolt on known to man except a true power adder or internal motor work(maybe 225 at wheels and 300 lbs). he was bangin 6k, i was banging launching and powershifting my ass off at 8500 just to get that one and a half car lead, which i had to fight out of the gate to get with a 5500 launch (so i could stay in vtec with the stock clutch). we went six lights in a row on the great highway like this and the results were very consistant. the best part is that we both had humongous stereo systems in the cars, pumped up so loud we couldnt hear either one of our exhausts or launch revs, or the race for that matter, we were full on having a sound and race contest, very very fun and yes i know, very riske. the first two lights i could not get that thing out of the gate without tons of wheelspin(posi fwd!) and bangin the limiter because the music was so dang loud.theres something so fundemantelly wrong with seeing the smoke shoot out of your front wheels. we must have raced for almost three miles cut into 1/2 mile stops. when i finally got it down i pulled really well, my boy in the mustang hit 15.0 at sears, so this prelude is a 14.6 or so, maybe a little better, not a slow car, but for 34k i better get more than a car and a half on a car thats almost 15years old!!!!!! one thing about the prelude though, man that thing drives so dang smooth and comfy, once i got back in my little corolla i felt like i was driving a wooden wagon!

Guest Anonymous

i know how you feel man, :D i got a 87 t-bird TC. that i've just done the exhaust on as well as disconnect the knock sensor, fiddle with the timing and completly unplugged the vacuum line to the wastegate! that thing pulls like a freight all the way up to its redline although its only a paltry 5k RPM. the turbo is undersized so even though it boost 18 psi for once i pass 5k it just runs out of breath :( . it sure is fun having 18 PSI in all gears in a 2.3 SOHC motor with only 2 valves a cylinder. next up i plan on filling it up with aviation fueland turning up the timing even more heh heh heh

i took my sister BF out for a drive and scared the bejusus out of him. he couldn't even hold his head forward. once i layed into the pedal the only words that came out of his mouth were "oh sh*t" he couldn't beleive it was a four banger under the hood. and the best part is when i tell them him how much my car weighs in at, ~3800 LBS it ain't no lightweight. really shows you the potential of these little 2.3s don't it.

5K is pretty low for that motor - I'd be looking for the restriction. Stock car guys here run those motors pretty much stock N/A and they wiz the heck oout of them all night long no problem - 7K or so if I remember right. That is one TOUGH motor Ford put together!

Guest Anonymous

oh i know what the restriction is. it is the turbo itself that restricts the topend on my TC motor. on the 83 to 86 turbocoupes they used a T3 turbo but for the 87-88 model they went with a IHI (rhb5 or something like that i think) turbo for better low end boost response. it just can't supply enough air once the motor hits a little past 5k. also the motor has over 100,000 miles on it and never been touched mechanicly so i'm figuring the valve springs are feeling their age by now cause i cane hear a fair amount of valve slap in the 4800-5200 RPM range. i just don't take it any higher than that for now till i can rebuild it.

on the bright side i went to the airport today and bought 5 gallons of 100 octane aviation fuel and added it to my paltry 1/8 of a tank of premium gas. then i "jetted" (LOL get it LOL :rolleyes:tongue.gif ) over to the house and retimed it it with about 5 to 7 degrees more advance than before. it really improved how responsive the motor is and that sucker just sh*ts and gits it is too much fun right now. i figure to be making probably anywhere from 200-220 at the wheels. it really makes me wan't to get my ZX finished so i can have some REAL fun