HybridZ

Got new tires for my daily beater

auxilary

tirepic.gif

changing from yokohama avs intermediates to falken azenis sport tires. somehow, i managed to squeeze out 28k miles from the yokohama tires, even though they're rated for 15k, not to mention I REALLY don't play nice in the car - it gets romped around corners, drifts, and has been through 2 thunderhill events on those tires. Poor neon is getting new tires!

Aux,

Good choice in tires!! I have used Falkens almost exclusively for many years and will not change. I firmly believe that if you it aint broke don't fix it....I could go on and on (and I have in the past) about the virtues of the Falken brand!!!!

Tim

Thats pretty funny that you are going from the avs to the Falken. I was just at Discount Tires trying to order the avs intermediate for my z and I was told that they did away with the entire line of tires and the next set of tires on my list are Falkens which are going on the car in the morning.

Dragonfly

Originally posted by Dragonfly:

Thats pretty funny that you are going from the avs to the Falken. I was just at Discount Tires trying to order the avs intermediate for my z and I was told that they did away with the entire line of tires and the next set of tires on my list are Falkens which are going on the car in the morning.

Dragonfly

The AVS intermediates cost me 64/tire for 195/60/14, these falkens i picked up for 52/each with free shipping. counting install costs, it's under 300 total for me, which is a great deal. and it's true, yokohama is getting rid of the avs intermediate line. they're supposed to be bringing a new replacement, but you can still get avs intermediates from places like tirerack.com

Guest JAMIE T

I like the tread design on that tire. I am going with the Yokohama A032R's. Those things have a sweet tread pattern and grip like superglue. From what I understand from the racers, they use them as rain tires. I don't expect to get many miles out of them, but I probably will only put a couple thousand miles on the car a year anyway. The 275/40/17's that I will be running are about $180 each, so they ain't cheap. But, then again, nothing with this car has been.

Originally posted by JAMIE T:

I like the tread design on that tire. I am going with the Yokohama A032R's.

Beware the A032R's are very darty on any uneven pavement (almost changing lanes against your will is not uncommon) and they're quite 'buzzy'/noisewise. Both factors if they're for street use. I drove 2000 miles to Thill and back as well as SIR and back with them, great traction wet or dry. If they weren't darty I'd run them as my normal streets as well. They show so little treadwear in street use and still stick'em nicely on the track (not winners circel but A1 for me) which I'm very fond of.

I'd like to hear more Toyo feedback......

I've had excellent results with my Yokohama AVS. I've run them on the front of my car for years. They were wicked on the track as well.

I couldn't find the AVS anymore.. they have some variations..but not what I wanted. I haven't seen Falcons available around here.. only in magazines....

I picked up a pair of BFG G force to replace my Yokohamas, on Thurs.

The Back tires have been a HUGE PITA!! I used to run a BFG Comp TA.They worked very well, but frankly are too small for my new flares. I'm having a terrible time with sizing. I run a 245/45/16 on the back and I need to go wider. So far Khumo Victo Racer 700's have a 265/45/16.. and Hoosier make a 275/45/16.. but other than that..I'm pretty much out of luck.. BTW Both tires are avail at Race shops only... so you can guess how they might survive on the street.

I've been looking for months now with no luck. Not sure what to do yet..