HybridZ

302 build up please help

24 oz

I have an 88 302 that I am going to be building up and i have a few questions. my goal is 400 crank hp, and i need to do this cheap, and streetable. I am going to use the gt40p heads but i am not sure what year they were in the explorers, whats the best cam to use with these heads and I was wondering if i should use 1.7 to 1 rocker arms, and what should i do about the rollers, whats a good brand to go with, I will be getting these with the cam. Any information will help and this is going to be carburated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got done building my 302 for my car, the best head combo I could find was the gt40 heads, a 600, 595 lift cam, same thing, and I got the 347 stoker kit. The best way I found to find the best parts was to get the 5.0 mustang mag. they have lots of useful info on building a ford engine.

I think he was planning on getting heads from a JY explorer. That would be much cheeper than any new head (such as the AFR heads).

I personally think you're best bet for going budget will be looking for some good JY or used heads out there and porting if need be, then matching with a good cam. I personally would just be patient and look for some used AFR heads. They really are great heads.

If you're not gonna go above 400HP I wouldn't dump too much money on the bottom end. I wouldn't do a stroker, becuase I think if you're gonna rebuild the bottom end you may as well make it ready to handle 600HP+ wich is pointless in your case.

There are plenty of ways to get to 400hp, but finding a cheep way can be hard when looking at new parts. If you can, try to score a used supercharger system for cheep. That'll get you to 400hp on a completelly stock motor. (injectors might need an upgrade)

I think he was planning on getting heads from a JY explorer. That would be much cheeper than any new head (such as the AFR heads).

I personally think you're best bet for going budget will be looking for some good JY or used heads out there and porting if need be' date=' then matching with a good cam. I personally would just be patient and look for some used AFR heads. They really are great heads.

If you're not gonna go above 400HP I wouldn't dump too much money on the bottom end. I wouldn't do a stroker, becuase I think if you're gonna rebuild the bottom end you may as well make it ready to handle 600HP+ wich is pointless in your case.

There are plenty of ways to get to 400hp, but finding a cheep way can be hard when looking at new parts. If you can, try to score a used supercharger system for cheep. That'll get you to 400hp on a completelly stock motor. (injectors might need an upgrade)[/quote']

Heh but N/A is easier imho to get to 400 than a supercharger for the same price. And even if it is a little more to keep it N/A at that level i would feel better making that HP more efficently and with less stress. Plus i don't like charger whine although i have heard a couple good ones. What was nice was a $300 buy it now used signle big *** turbo kit with IC on ebay I saw once. It was the real deal. Im kicking myself for not buying now, the seller said he had it at 580hp @9 or 10 psi. :S

Spend the money for a good set of heads. You get more bang for the buck on heads than any other modification. When I upgraded from my stock E7TE heads to the Edelbrock 6037 heads, I gained 10 mph in the quarter mile and dropped nearly a full second (13.20 @ 103 to 12.42 @ 113). I wish that I had spent a bit more and got the AFR 185 heads. The ported explorer heads won't get you the results that you are after.

Heads are the first and most important choice for making power. Without a good set of heads, the rest of the modifications are pointless.

I have to keep it N/A my dads making me otherwise I would twin turbo it, so I will probably wait and spend more money and get some AFR's but I am not to familiar with them and I have heard of the 165's and 185's are there any others ones and which are best??

Thanks

Is this going into a presmog vehicle? If so, get the motor into the car THEN deal with getting an engine label put in from the ref, THEN you can get the AFR's with BIG ports. Totally illegal if you put them on before hand and then had to go to the ref later. In my proposed idea you wouldn't have to worry about cops giving you a bad time, since it's legal. They won't be able to tell you've got aftermarket heads, so they can't send you to the ref.

There isn't a HUGE difference in price between thier emissions legal 165 & 185 heads and thier VERY not street legal 205 & 225 heads.

I also agree with the fact that a supercharger would be as much if not more expensive than going NA. Being a competative option it would have to be used. But as you said, it has to be NA.

Just the AFR 165 heads and a medium cam could get you what you want though. I'd just recomend going with the 205 race heads becuase it would have lots more potential for the future.

I agree with what was said about fast, reliable, cheep. But I thing 400hp is conservative for a 5.0 motor. So if I was to rate a build like this, I'd say it'll be 5 out 10 for fast, 7 of of 10 for reliable, and 8 out of 10 for cheep. If you can only have 2, then that would be 20 possible points on my system I just wrote down. Notice my quote equals 20. I think 400 HP is a very good number to go for in a 5.0 without breaking the bank.

Where do you live? I'm in the bay area too and could explain more smog laws if you wish.

Yes, it's a S30. If insurance is an issue, leave it be a L6 on record then.

I'd opt for the emission legal 185 heads then, so in the future if you get pulled over you can legalise the swap.

I'm 18 and my insurance is cheep. Cheeper than some of the girls I know (1 point can make a big difference). My brother had a 93' cobra at 21 and was paying around $200-250 a month for insurance. He took out a loan for it so that was full coverage. He was quoted $550 a month from the same company when he was looking at the mustang bullett when they came out. Year usually makes more of a difference than actualy car specification. You could always get a quote from your insurance.

The DMV also won't say anything about smog. BUT if you take a car with a motor swap to the ref they can make sure everything is legal (stock from the car it came from) and put a plate in your engine bay saing you have a 87-93 mustang motor. So NO (big point here) CHP, city police, OR sheriff could send you to the ref unless it looks like you have illegal mods on the motor you've got in there. If you don't have that plate in there to begin with, ANY cop could pull you over and force you to go to the ref, and if anything isn't legal on the motor you'll have to change it. BIG problem and BIG hassle.

Hope this helped.

I'm 17 and its a 72 240z which I think is an s30 but not quite sure.

Haha im 17 too. Your going to kill yourself at 400hp i would think :confused2

Any way sounds good, I would still keep it N/A though. I hope you plan on upgrading the brakes and installing LSD with significantly bigger tires before you soup the engine up. I am sticking to the 225 horse stock 5.0 HO for now, even though i haven't driven it yet, i know it is more then enough power. I need to learn the car ALOT before I upgrade its engine. Not trying to be a dad or anything at all, just make sure you know what your doing :)

Oh, and the 205 would be perfectly streetable with a mild enoug cam.

lets compare some things.

185cc-Ford-Head-Flow-Graph.gif

205cc-SBF.gif

Now, the 205 with .300 lift would me more streetable than the 185 with .400 lift.

Stick with a mild cam to get your power and you'll be fine. See though why i'd say go with the 205? It has much more potential at high lift.

Yes' date=' it's a S30. If insurance is an issue, leave it be a L6 on record then.

I'd opt for the emission legal 185 heads then, so in the future if you get pulled over you can legalise the swap.

I'm 18 and my insurance is cheep. Cheeper than some of the girls I know (1 point can make a big difference). My brother had a 93' cobra at 21 and was paying around $200-250 a month for insurance. He took out a loan for it so that was full coverage. He was quoted $550 a month from the same company when he was looking at the mustang bullett when they came out. Year usually makes more of a difference than actualy car specification. You could always get a quote from your insurance.

The DMV also won't say anything about smog. BUT if you take a car with a motor swap to the ref they can make sure everything is legal (stock from the car it came from) and put a plate in your engine bay saing you have a 87-93 mustang motor. So NO (big point here) CHP, city police, OR sheriff could send you to the ref unless it looks like you have illegal mods on the motor you've got in there. If you don't have that plate in there to begin with, ANY cop could pull you over and force you to go to the ref, and if anything isn't legal on the motor you'll have to change it. BIG problem and BIG hassle.

Hope this helped.[/quote']

I thought any motorswap is legal into a pre 74 car? I am probably wrong though....