HybridZ

ZG Flares, take a quick looksy

Guest Brismo7

Guest Brismo7

hey guys hows it going, my name is steve. i have a V8 Rx-7, but i had a question and thought someone here might beable to help me out. my question regards the ZG flares

this Rx-7:

29217561854.jpg

29217575054-thumb.jpg

that rx-7 has 240z over fender flares, i'm assuming the ZG flares. does anyone know if these will bolt on to my 84 Rx-7. just incase your still wondering, my Rx-7 looks like the one in that picture, here is a picture: 28211502352-thumb.jpg

like i said i dont know if you guys can help me or not, but thanks for checking this out. also, if you need me to do any measuring on my car, i definetely can.

~Steve

Guest Brismo7
Since you are in Cali. get to Motorsport Auto or find somebody with a set and see if they'll fit.The carbon ones are pretty flexible so I guess they would be "fit-able".If all else fails,I have a set laying around and I could lay them up on the nearest RX7 if you beg nicely.

oh i'm begging nicely, i really am. also where is motorsport auto? ah nevermind, i'll just search their website and find out. but yeah, if you could just measure them up against a first gen Rx-7 and tell me wether or not its do-able. that'd be awesome!

~Steve

oh i'm begging nicely' date=' i really am. also where is motorsport auto? ah nevermind, i'll just search their website and find out. but yeah, if you could just measure them up against a first gen Rx-7 and tell me wether or not its do-able. that'd be awesome!

~Steve[/quote']

Steve, find a post in this forum written by Racer X---he is a near expert on the 1st gen RX7's. I'm sure he'll let you know, just email him about it. If he sees this post I'm sure he'll answer---heck of a guy.

Davy

Guest Brismo7
Get a set.

Trim to fit.

Mold to make them look like originals.

Pop molds of them.

Sell to the RZ7 guys.

It's a few hundred dollars to invest. the payoff might be real nice.

Just an idea..

hey i just might do that. because we first gen guys' date=' love these flares, and there is only one company that makes flares for our Rx-7's. and their 350 bucks! how hard do you think it would be to trim them to size?

these say 432 style, but are they the same as the ZG flares? http://www.classicdatsun.com/new/240_glass.html

Blueovalz: i'm not sure what your saying. do you want more pics of my car right now, or more pics when i get the flares? or......

~Steve

Guest Brismo7
Since you are in Cali. get to Motorsport Auto

holy crap!

Motorsport Auto

1139 W. Collins Ave.

Orange, Ca. 92867, U.S.A.

this is literally one block away from where i live. what are the odds. i guess no shipping and handling for me lol.

~Steve

They should bolt right on. I used a rubber welting from vw to make them go a little bit more flush. Its too bad I sold my 1st gen last week though. Gas prices vs. the rotary, the rotary lost.... Im sticking to the B series.....

Guest Brismo7

ok, no problem, i got tons of pics of my car and many other cars.

here is the first time i had the motor in the car. notice upper intake is off:

27419524247-thumb.jpg

here we had to drill two holes(one on each side) for the motor mounts to work:

27419562788-thumb.jpg

Overhead shot of the engine. to get these i have to stand on my car, because the hood opens like a corvettes:

27420050912-thumb.jpg

here are the place i need to pound to make the engine sit in the compartment better:

28318133387-thumb.jpg

my backyard radiator mounts, since this picture i have added more support. and the radiator isnt going anywhere(thats the stock Rx-7 radiator BTW):

28318325824-thumb.jpg

in this pic, you can see the super short belt. it deletes the PS, AC, and SP. leaving only the crank, water pump, alternator, and the tensioner pulley). also my wysco flexible water hose. and the mounts on top od the radiator have been deleted for better, more sexier looking ones: 28318380762-thumb.jpg

lower radiator hose:

28318390142-thumb.jpg

this is an Overhead with my cleaned and painted intake manifold:

28323443816.jpg

after reading a post on here about doing a bunch of small things that most normal non-enthusiest wouldnt notice, i decided to paint my trim around my windsheild:

29222085041.jpg

and my wind shield wipers:

29222101132.jpg

and after:

29222124176-thumb.jpg

the problem area:

29222141655-thumb.jpg

i also put a tranmission oil cooler on. the engine is stock right now. but will be getting a head, cam, intake combo in the future. i just want to get the car running right, right now.

if you have any questions let me know, and i will answer them to my best :D

~Steve

Guest 81na ZX

I miss my FB :( too bad the frame was mostly rust with a little bit of metal in between. The damn pitman arm was only mounted by one bolt, the other was in space. Same with the idle arm. The sway bar end links rusted right in half :D

Overhead shot of the engine. to get these i have to stand on my car, because the hood opens like a corvettes:

Ours does too ;)

An RX7 on HZ??? I'm only kidding ;) I had to make a comment like that after datsunatx's post 8)

Looks like some clean work. And I'm ALWAYS a fan of a ford swap ;)

And those flares look really nice on the FB. Looks like it should have came that way from the factory.

Guest Brismo7

yeah, morons dont appreciate the 70's style and 80's style of both our cars. i think more idiots drive Rx-7's than 240z's. its just a more mature crowd.

and thanks for all the compliments, i really appreciate them, comments like your guys' make the swap worth while.

~Steve

Steve,

Just like fl327 stated earlier, it's called "fender welt" or "fender welting" made for the old VW Beetle. They used the rubber between the fender and the body, so the stuff is tailor made for ZG flares. Any VW shop should be able to supply you with it, even JC Whitney carries it still I believe. In So Cal I doubt you would have any trouble getting VW parts...

Davy