HybridZ

240Z using RB26 motor & RB25DET 5 speed

Mike Rowe

(a) I have just purchased a 240Z' date=' an R32 RB26DETT half cut and an R34 RB25DET 5 speed which I intend to splice together.

I want to purchase an appropriate LSD with the best all round ratio for this combination. The car will be used for tarmac rallies, hill climbs, track work and the odd amateur drag day. Can anyone who has done the same conversion help please? (I was thinking around 3.5 what's your thought?)

(B) The half cut has R32 GTR disk and calipers. Can these be adapted on to the front of the 240?

© I would also appreciate any other advice on engine & gearbox mounts[/quote']

Mike, i am doing a RB30DET conversion on my '72 240z here in NZ. I am using fabricated engine mounts designed to fit the RB series engines into the early Z cars, I brought these mounts quite cheaply from the "Castlemaine Rod Shop" in Australia. They have a website, check it out. I have put pics of these into my photo Album on this site.

As for a diff, i am using a plate type LSD R200 (short nose) from the back of a R32 GTR 4.11 ratio. I am also using the complete half shaft assblys with both inner and outer CV's, and adapting on the GTR rear hubs/wheel bearing parts as well to run the stubbed GTR outer CV joint, instead of the stock Z stub axles (which are a weak link with this much power)

There is truckloads of info on this website, the majority of questions you will ever raise on this swap and anything related have been discussed here before, so spend a few hours seaching around and you will learn heaps, just as i have, (i was new to Z's about six months ago) Search for posts by Stony, Jamie T and many others that hang out in the RB forum.

Good luck with building yet another RB powered Hybridz :-)

Clint T

Stony....Despite the calipers being the same (and taking the same pads fore and rear), the front Z32 rotors won't work on a STD R32. As I recall, the bolt radius is slightly off which would preclude the vice versa. Rear Z32's work just fine for a GTR rear....

My buddy bolted a set of front r32 gtr vented rotors and stock gtr calipers up to his z32 with no issues.. I have heard its a pretty basic upgrade for the z32s

here is the how to

The z31 strut is a little different i could use the z32 caliper but had to use the z31 rotors the offset on the rotor was a little differnt. with a spacer or 2 the z32 or gtr rotors could also be used. and since the gtr calipers bolt up to the z32 and the z32 calipers bolt up to the z31 strut the gtr calipers should bolt up to the z31 strut.

IM sorry i just reread the post.... i wasnt saying to put the z32 rotor on the GTR... that would be a down grade. as long as you take the set they should interchange. IE z32 rotor and caliper should bolt up to a gtr (downgrade) and vice versa.

IM sorry i just reread the post.... i wasnt saying to put the z32 rotor on the GTR... that would be a down grade. as long as you take the set they should interchange. IE z32 rotor and caliper should bolt up to a gtr (downgrade) and vice versa.

Hi guys I am getting a bit confused what car we are talking about, excuse my ignorance. Is a Z31 a Datsun 240Z? A Z32 - is that a 300Z?

regards Mike