Weight: 72 lbs.

Length (bellhousing to end of tailshaft housing): 31"

Shifter position (bellhousing to center pivot): 29"

G-Force T5 5 speed

Weight: 101 lbs.

Length (bellhousing to end of tailshaft housing): 31.5"

Shifter position (bellhousing to center pivot): 29" - aftermarket Long shifter

• 2 months later...

Thanks! Would you mind posting what year cars the different tannies came in. I believe the two 4 speeds are 240's and the type B was a redesign for a different length driveshaft with a different style U-joint (i think) and new location of the post Series 1 consol, or something of the sort. The 5-speed came in 280zx and beyond??? Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

The Type A 4 speed came in the Series 1 240Z although I don't know when the cutoff was. They are easy to identify because they have a separate bellhousing.

The Type B 4 was available from the 240Z through the 280Z.

The T-5 was installed in the 280ZX turbos.

I don't have dimensions on the Z32 and Z33 transmissions.

I have a z32 transmission sitting out in the garage waiting for my adaptor. Ill try and weigh it for you guys. Its certainly more beefy then the stock unit!!!! And just a head up for those of you looking to do the swap, you can get a z32 trans for cheap. I picked up mine with 88K miles and very clean for 300 bucks including hte shifter assymbly. They are known to hold over 600hp.

Alrighty here are the deminsions,

Z32 Manual Transmission:

Length (bellhousing to tailhousing): 30.25"

Shifter Position (bellhousing to center pivot): 34.5"

Trans MOunt position (bellhousing to center of mount): 24.5"

*z32 Shifter is straight up and down unlike the shifters on the first gen trannies which slope back towards you so this helps offset the shifter location diffference.

• 3 months later...
Do the drive shafts interchange between the type B 4 speed and the early 5 speed ?(280Z not ZX)

Driveshafts can be interchanged between A and B and early 4 and 5 speed trannies. Shifters can not be.

Early Trannies....

F4W71A "A" type 4 speed.... Build date 69-8/71.

F4W71B "B" type 4 speed.... Build date 9/71-76.

FS5W71B "B" type 5 speed....77-78 280Z and 79 280ZX.

LARRY

I think you're wrong there Larry, but in a weird way.

The 69-71 diff was mounted 1" forward from the later cars, so the driveshaft for the 70 and 71 cars is 1" shorter. While it will plug on and probably work on a later car, the correct shaft for a later car would be the longer 72-78 shaft.

I know this to be true because I moved the diff back on my 70 to correct the halfshaft angles and went and got a longer shaft for it at that time.

So to answer mom'sZ's question, the 72-78 shafts are all the same as far as I know, and the length is correct for any A or B type 5 speed (including NA 280ZX). I suspect that if someone were misguided enough to put the crappy early 4 speed in a later car the later shaft would be the correct one in that case as well.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Doing some searching on the manual trannies to night, since I may have a 4 speed to go in my car instead of a 5 speed. The reason I say this is because I was going through the gears with the tranny sitting on the floor and could not find a 5th gear, I thought I did, once, but every time after that, I could only find 4 gears.

Is there anyway to tell? I could not find any markings, or numbers on the tranny case to identify it.

I also see on THIS page that the 280Z, not ZX could also come with a 5-speed. I know this tranny came out of a 280Z, and was pretty sure I was told it was a 1978, that would, according to that page mean that it should be a 5-speed.

Any insight into this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Doing some searching on the manual trannies to night, since I may have a 4 speed to go in my car instead of a 5 speed. The reason I say this is because I was going through the gears with the tranny sitting on the floor and could not find a 5th gear, I thought I did, once, but every time after that, I could only find 4 gears.

Is there anyway to tell? I could not find any markings, or numbers on the tranny case to identify it.

I also see on THIS page that the 280Z, not ZX could also come with a 5-speed. I know this tranny came out of a 280Z, and was pretty sure I was told it was a 1978, that would, according to that page mean that it should be a 5-speed.

Any insight into this?

I'd also like to see how to identify these. I say this because the only number I've found is a serial # on top of the bellhousing, not a part number. The transmission was removed at some point in this car's life, because the bottom half of the plate that seals the tranny to the engine is missing. I have no clue if the tranny was also replaced, all I know is that its a 5 speed. I don't know if there's any difference between the "A" type and the "B" type, or if the shifter hookup is different between the 280Z and 280ZX. I want to purchase a short throw shifter, but I don't want to drop money on something that's not going to fit.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a Borg Warner T5 in my car...

Pathfinder FS5R30....Length (bellhousing to tailhousing): 28.50"

Shifter Position (bellhousing to center pivot): 27.0"

Trans Mount position (bellhousing to center of mount) forgot the number but seems to be about 25.0" to 25.5"

It also sports a very cool longshifter that angles backward such that the knob in neutral ends up about 30 inches from bellhousing.

the bellhousing is NOT the same, you can swap them out tho. the SR20 and KA24 trans are the same internally and have the same rear covers, but the bellhousing bolt patterns are different.

I can get Z33 measurements by thursday, as I have a 6spd in my garage.

EDIT: you could get either a 4spd or a 5spd on 280Z cars, it was an option, and in 1979, you could even still get a 4spd on the 280ZX. those 280sxs have the highly desireable 3.36 R200 gears.

• 8 months later...