HybridZ

300ZX Z32 LS1 Swap

Guest camaro5842

Guest camaro5842

Hey I am new to the forum and I had recently bought a hydrolocked 91 300zx TT. I was planning on rebuild the motor but I have always been a fan of the FD LS1 swap and I found out they are doing it in Z32's also. I just have a few questions (already have ADLASHWA manual), anyone with the swap were you able to keep the ABS, and air bag so you have a chance of getting a sticker, also did you use the camaro gauge cluster or the 300zx or autometer gauges. Also I sense the LS1 motor is a OBDII and 300zx's are OBDI were any of you able to pass emissions. This may be a problem becuase soon you may not be able to 'buy" stickers they are planning on putting camaras in all inspection bays. Thanks for the help

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not doing one of these swaps, but know a small amount about the LS1 in general. There are a few here who are in the middle of doing the swap, and I'll let them speak for the mount issues...

OBD2 means you'll be able to pass emissions better in my opinion. You'll need to use a standalone or LS1 computer. But tuning is easy with LS1 Edit and a skilled tuner.

You'll want to get a custom harness from one of the many vendors. As for the gauge cluser issue, I don't know what guys with Z32s are doing. I'm guessing doing Autometers would be cake though. Also, Painless has a gage harness for just this purpose.

Mike

My LS1 conversion actually passed an OBD II emmissions test. THen the inpector failed me for not having catalytic converters. Took me two weeks and involvement of the regional state inspector to get them to put a sticker on my car. Bottom line - if you properly edit your ECU and keep the motor stock initially you won't have any problem.

Best bet though would be to check with your local emmissions folks and see if there are any special rulings that may apply.

That's why knowing individual state law is so important. In California you go by the year of the engine - in Texas we go by the year of the body. My '98 LS1 would only have to meet '77 emissions - except since it's over 25 years old it's just plain exempt.:icon44:

Camaro5842, Did you buy your manual diresctly from adlashwa? I ordered on about a week ago from him but I have not yet heard mback about it. I really need it ASAP! I just bought my LS1 with the 6speed tranny today and I am takin my 92 NA motor out this week. So I really need the manual

Guest BIGPERK

I'AM ALSO DOING A LS1 SWAP ON MY 1990 300ZX. CAN YOU GIVE ME INFO ON HOW TO PURCHASE THE MANUAL. THE TRANSFORMATION TAKE PLACE ON THE 10TH OF NOVEMBER.

Hey I am new to the forum and I had recently bought a hydrolocked 91 300zx TT. I was planning on rebuild the motor but I have always been a fan of the FD LS1 swap and I found out they are doing it in Z32's also. I just have a few questions (already have ADLASHWA manual), anyone with the swap were you able to keep the ABS, and air bag so you have a chance of getting a sticker, also did you use the camaro gauge cluster or the 300zx or autometer gauges. Also I sense the LS1 motor is a OBDII and 300zx's are OBDI were any of you able to pass emissions. This may be a problem becuase soon you may not be able to 'buy" stickers they are planning on putting camaras in all inspection bays. Thanks for the help

Guest camaro5842

Hey sorry I have been away for a few days. Yes I bought the manual directly from him I recieved a CD of the manual in about a week and a half. He answered my e-mails right away and I just paid him the $43 or so dont remember the exact amount via Paypal.I bought thereal manual not a copy or choped version which alot of people are selling. Good luck with the swap and thanks for the input.

• 2 years later...
Guest Ghostrider88

have any of you heard of hinson supercars? they sell a conversion kit that takes away the need for cutting and welding and it matches an LS1 to the stock Z32 engine. (gen 2 300zx if anyone isnt aware) its a $900 kit but its worth not having to deal with a welder.

from what i've been told, ls1, wiring harness, ecu, driveshaft, hinson kit, clutch, possibly differential, radiator and radiator mounts are the only things necessary.

I'm looking to do the swap too, so if anyone knows about this, i'd love feedback.

Guest Ghostrider88
Well then if it's for the 2nd gen Z, how is that a conversion kit for the Z32?????? Back to the point, no one makes an over the counter kit for the Z32 yet. But someone I know just might lol

Buddy, the Z32 IS the 2nd gen 300zx.

and in my previous message i meant the stock z32 transmission, not engine.

have any of you heard of hinson supercars? they sell a conversion kit that takes away the need for cutting and welding and it matches an LS1 to the stock Z32 engine. (gen 2 300zx if anyone isnt aware) its a $900 kit but its worth not having to deal with a welder.

from what i've been told, ls1, wiring harness, ecu, driveshaft, hinson kit, clutch, possibly differential, radiator and radiator mounts are the only things necessary.

I'm looking to do the swap too, so if anyone knows about this, i'd love feedback.

Where are you seeing this.. I looked at their site and it mentioned a upcoming 350Z kit, but didnt see a Z32 kit. Personally i hope they dont.......I like the rarity that comes along with not having any idiot proof kits out there. Let the guys that are willing to do the customizing on their own be the ones with them.

My bad on the 2nd gen thing. I thought the 84-86 were considered 1rst gens. But anyways I plan on buying a 350 here soon just to grab up the drop in conversion for the Ls-1 from Hinson. I have seen pictures of the swap and the room under the hood is crazy. There is plenty in there for a possible twin turbo kit, big single or even a top mounted magnacharger or better yet a kennbell. The 350/Ls-1 marraige would be something not to recon with. She'll go straight, through curves or even sideways perfect and still stop on a dime.