HybridZ

Vintage Air Install

Bartman

I’ve decide to install a complete Vintage Air unit on my 73 240Z with a LT1 V8 engine. I’ve been searching and I have some information, but I could still use some more advice. I will take plenty of pictures and post progress as the project progresses.

I am planning on going with a complete Gen II unit with heat, cool, and defrost (including compressor, compressor bracket (universal which I will have to adapt for my install), condenser, and hose kit-dryer). One of the first things I need to decide is whether to get the Gen II mini or the Gen II compac.

The compact is slightly larger but according to Vintage Air it can handle a lot more volume. Anyone that’s done the installation with either unit let me know which you think would be better (i.e. – I bought the mini, but I wish I had gotten the compac:twisted: ).

I found a seller online that sells complete mini or compact Gen II units for $895.with a three year warranty (http://www.autoairandaudio.com/autoair/compac.html). Would I be better off to just purchase from a local dealer?

I also need to determine what specific panel, vents, and condensor to get. I was thinking of replacing the stock control panel with the Vintage Air unit and trying to use the stock vents (or at least the stock locations). I would like to keep a more integrated look and not have anything hanging below the dash.

Any advice, experiences and/or pictures of installs is definitely appreciated.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went one size larger than both of those. I used the Space Saver unit with heat, cool, defrost. My car is black, and it cools it instantly! I have a few pics at my freeserver site. I used the super flow condenser, the black anodized horizontal proline control, the stock outer vents, and 2 louvered outlets side by side in the middle. I custom made the center panel.

I installed the mini version. It was more than enough air for my car. I think I have just a couple of pictures on my yahoo page. Sorry I don't have access to my pc to down load the rest of the pics I have. I'm at work right now.
Your's is one of the installs I'm interested in seeing. How can I view your yahoo page (your home page link in your signature doesn't work for me)? Did you use your existing vents?

P.S. - How's your car coming along?

I just updated the webpage address on my profile. Try it again. My is a lONG story. It's still at the body shop. they had to cut and reweld on a new front clip from the firewall forward. I'm tild it will be ready for the drivetrain reinstall by the end of November. I hope.

I am also interested in seeing picturess of these installs. I plan to pull out the entire 240Z heater unit and replace it with a Vintage Air unit for Heat/defrost/AC I want something that will tuck up in close on the passenger side and provide flow to the existing defrost and side ducts. I am willing to modify the center panel to have dual ducts and a modern controller mounted there but would love to keep it looking stock if possible.

I installed the mini version. It was more than enough air for my car. I think I have just a couple of pictures on my yahoo page.

Fastzcars,

Wow, your car looks great. I see in these pictures that the vintage air unit sits way close to the fire wall. The unit looks really tight for space above it. Did you have any issues in routing the ducting? Did you do the defroster option too?

3519.jpg?phAsQdDB9pTj0JMD

5ec2.jpg?phAsQdDB3Mte20DM

Qwik24. I did have some troublewith the hose routing of the defrost hose, but the unit was small enough to remount it closer to the driver to gain more space. I would recommend that the dash be pulled out. It made it a hell of alot easier to make the unit fir just right. I had also had to remountit closer to the passenger side because the gas pedel was hitting the unit. There are 2 other straps that are not seen in the photos, that cross down in a V pattern to support the front of the unit. I chose the mini becayse I didn't want the A/C to be seen from the passanger compartment.Not like the original unit that was in there. There are also 4 hoses coming from the engine compartment to the inside that takes up some interior space.

I am also interested in seeing picturess of these installs. I plan to pull out the entire 240Z heater unit and replace it with a Vintage Air unit for Heat/defrost/AC I want something that will tuck up in close on the passenger side and provide flow to the existing defrost and side ducts. I am willing to modify the center panel to have dual ducts and a modern controller mounted there but would love to keep it looking stock if possible.
It looks like we have the same goals for our installs.
I just updated the webpage address on my profile. Try it again. My is a lONG story. It's still at the body shop. they had to cut and reweld on a new front clip from the firewall forward. I'm tild it will be ready for the drivetrain reinstall by the end of November. I hope.
Thanks! the pictures are a big help. I like the control panel that you used and it looks like your using the stock vents.

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41bb0a64z9406f34b/e8e5/__sr_/bbd1.jpg?pho7QdDBJEmFFME1

The condensor looks like a perfect fit, what size is that?

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41bb0a64z9406f34b/e8e5/__sr_/f221.jpg?pho7QdDB4KdT.zI9

I went one size larger than both of those. I used the Space Saver unit with heat, cool, defrost. My car is black, and it cools it instantly! I have a few pics at my freeserver site. I used the super flow condenser, the black anodized horizontal proline control, the stock outer vents, and 2 louvered outlets side by side in the middle. I custom made the center panel.
Mike, do you have a pic of your custom made center panel?

Hey Bartman,

Let me know when you install it. If its on a weekend, I'd love to come and give you a hand, as I plan to install one myself if I ever get my car running again. When the time comes, I don't want to spend another $$$ for someone else to install it. I rather learn helping you. Might help the process go quicker as well :-)

Hey Bartman' date='

Let me know when you install it. If its on a weekend, I'd love to come and give you a hand, as I plan to install one myself if I ever get my car running again. When the time comes, I don't want to spend another $$$ for someone else to install it. I rather learn helping you. Might help the process go quicker as well :)[/quote']I think it's going to be a multiple weekend process, but I'll let you know when I'm planning on working on it. I think the big items (after I determine what I need to order) are going to be mounting the evaporator and installing the compressor.

Bartman. I'll have to dig up the invoices. I didn't buy the kit at once,I purchased the kit in 2 parts, the inside evaporator and then the other pieces. How fast do you need the part numbers? I think I bought the smallest high eff. condensor. As far as your compressor bracket, call VA. they have like 20 to 30 differnt brackets on there website. In fact, they were the one's that recommend the condenser sizeI needed. I gave them the measurement of the radiater opening and they did the rest. I would also recommend to use there proline bulkhead plates that mounts on the firewall. You see that way if you needed to disconnect the heater or A/C hoses, you could do it in the engine compartment and not get fluid all over the interior.

Bartman. I'll have to dig up the invoices. I didn't buy the kit at once,I purchased the kit in 2 parts, the inside evaporator and then the other pieces. How fast do you need the part numbers? I think I bought the smallest high eff. condensor. As far as your compressor bracket, call VA. they have like 20 to 30 differnt brackets on there website. In fact, they were the one's that recommend the condenser sizeI needed. I gave them the measurement of the radiater opening and they did the rest. I would also recommend to use there 4 hose coulper plate that mounts on the firewall. You see that way if I needed to disconnect the heater or A/C hoses, you could do it in the engine compartment and not get fluid all over the interior.
So you purchased directly from VA?

This is great information, it looks like you're a perfect resource to help me determine what parts I need:D. I talked with VA today and ordered their catalog and talked with them in general about my install. They thought that my best bet for the compressor bracket was to start with their universal bracket (I will use that as a starting point to fabricate something like the Bower's Low Hood Style LT1 A/C Compressor Relocation bracket or the bracket that love-my-V8-280Z made). I'm not in a big rush, but as soon as I determine everything I need I'll place my order.

Excellent idea, a properly photo documented write up is bound to help countless members as well as answer the same A/C questions which are posted every few weeks.

fastzcars, do you have a photo of the bulkheads used, these are what I seem to find on the VA website. Did you have to drill additional holes in your firewall to use?

image005.jpg

Nice looking setup Mike kZ.

I talked with my local Hot Rod Shop (a VA dealer), and I'm going to meet with him next Saturday. Hopefully I will be ready to place an order with him then.

fastzcars,

Thanks for the info on the proline bulkhead plates, that sounds like a good addition. My local dealer is recommending upgraded hoses as well, so I'll find out more about that when I see him.

• 2 weeks later...

I met with the owner of a local hot rod shop late last week. He seemed interested in helping me out, but he's supposed to call me this week. If I don't here from him soon, I'll just assume he's not really interested. He suggested using steel braided lines, which I may wind up doing.

I'm still planning on using the Gen II mini, the stock vents, the proline bulkhead plate, and probably the same upgraded oval control panel that fastzcars used.

This might be a little expensive, but this March LT-1 serpentine kit may just be the way to go for me.

http://www.marchperf.com/pg18.html

Summit Racing carries their parts, so I'm sure I can get one for at least a little bit less than the price listed at March (Summit's web site has the #20921 unit for $831.69 which lists at March for $979.42). I'm going to measure tonight and see if it will work for my install. The guy at the hot rod shop already suggested changing the alternator to the driver's side and the A/C Compressor on the passenger's side. This should make it easier to route the lines into the evaporator.

Any comments or suggestions?