HybridZ

Q's Mounts (I guess that's what I'll call them)

240Z_Master

Looks like a well sorted kit' date=' very interested to see how the 260Z trans mount works, is there a time frame on that?

Also a question to the above, are you worried that lifting the gearbox might affect the tail shaft angle? I know it is a bit forgiving with angles, but I am not sure how much you have to play with.[/quote']

Actually the angle sits a little low right now, I looked at it again and by lifting it up, it would line up better than before.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get away without the bend in the flat stock all the better' date=' I was just concerned about the leverage created by the length of the spacers, and at the very least it probably would have allowed the G/box to "bounce/flex" up and down, but eliminating them will allow a bigger contact area between the Sq tubes and the floor-pan area.

Colin:twisted:[/quote']

Yeah, I definately think that removing the square spacer would do wonders overall.

1) More contact area

2) Less stress on longer bolt

3) Places shifter in better position

4) Aligns the tailshaft in a straigter angle

5) Clears more room for exhaust

This is all great news for me.

I would like to thank you all for all the work you are doing for future RB Z's. I'm just getting started on my conversion, I have just recieved my rb mounts from Rick and am now looking for a gearbox mount.

I have a UK 240z 1973, would your g/box mount fit my car? If it does, can I order just that mount from you once you have perfected your new design?

If you can let me know the cost, I am not in a great rush for this yet. I am hoping to be needing this at the start of the new year.

Thank you Guy,

Erol

This is all great news for me.

I would like to thank you all for all the work you are doing for future RB Z's. I'm just getting started on my conversion' date=' I have just recieved my rb mounts from Rick and am now looking for a gearbox mount.

I have a UK 240z 1973, would your g/box mount fit my car? If it does, can I order just that mount from you once you have perfected your new design?

If you can let me know the cost, I am not in a great rush for this yet. I am hoping to be needing this at the start of the new year.

Thank you Guy,

Erol[/quote']

It should fit he 1973 Z, just to make sure, what is the production date of your car? The Gearbox Mount should be about $150 USD with hardware, and the motormounts should be $250 (with insulators and hardware).

It should fit he 1973 Z, just to make sure, what is the production date of your car? The Gearbox Mount should be about $150 USD with hardware, and the motormounts should be $250 (with insulators and hardware).

If you have the round insulator mounts with the bolts that are horizontal, then his mount will not work. If you have the earlier style mount where the bolts are vertical, then his will work. While those mounts is great,(and the welding is fantastic!) it only covers a small swath of years,(through '72). The 73 through the ZX all have the later style mounts.

-Bob

how low does the mounts put the motor?

Ill be using a RB30 motor witch sits a bit higher then the 25 and 26 motor' date=' so Im interested in clearance..[/quote']

I am out of town right now, and will have pictures of this up on Friday. Hood clearance is excelent! When I modify the tranny mount, it will raise the back up a tiny bit, and make the motor more level.

Good news and bad news everyone.

I have decided not to continue with the transmission mounts. There are a few reasons and I will list them below. However, I will still continue to make motor mounts so that's part of the good news.

#1) I realized there are about three different transmission mount styles. There is the 260/280/280ZX style, and the 240Z style. Within the 240Z, there is the early style and the late 240Z style. I have been designing the stuff on a 1972 240Z, and when I put the transmission mount into the 1970 240Z, things just didnt seem to fit right on the transmission.

#2) A lot of members have brought up very good points about the sag of the transmission, or things along those lines. I don't feel safe after all the testing and fitment, that I should release the transmission mount on behalf of your safety, and any liability issues that may arise from this product. I would rather see another Hyrbid RB guy alive, than one whose transmission dropped out and caused some major accident. You guys are too valuble as friends for me to screw over for $$$.

So to make a long story short, I will only be making the motormounts like Rick and everyone else. I believe I will price them at $250 for the mounts + insulator + hardware.

I hope my honesty plays a role here, because I am concerned about your safety and your well being.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant $250.

• 2 months later...

are these mounts still available? Has the price gone up or down lately, or is it the same. I'm starting to get interested in the RB swap again, and work has been good and now i'm finnally starting to make some money again, and I have a bit saved up-I'm looking for an S30 still, but i may just drop an RB into an S130, because I found a great one. And has there been any changes with the tranny mount, or your still not gonna make anymore for safety reasons.

When do you think we will see the new and improved tranny mount? How do I order a set of motor mounts? Thanks.

Most likely due to my thoughts and feelings of producing a good enough product, I will not be making the transmission mounts.

The motor mounts should be finished soon which I will let everyone know when those are ready again. The sets that I did have sold already.

Hey Master, do your mounts place the engine lower and further back than the Z31 ones, cause I'm fitting some right now and while corner weighting the car I noticed that the engine is'nt in the optimal position for weight distribution.

I had found, a while ago, a set of mounts from an Aussie company that made mounts to put an RB in just about avery rollling thing made by men, short of a 32 deuce coupe and these mounts for the Z put the engine just in the right place so, if your mounts are of the latter design, I would happily order a set from you. Better encourage a fellow Z nut than any stranger from an other continent.

Hey Master' date=' do your mounts place the engine lower and further back than the Z31 ones, cause I'm fitting some right now and while corner weighting the car I noticed that the engine is'nt in the optimal position for weight distribution.

I had found, a while ago, a set of mounts from an Aussie company that made mounts to put an RB in just about avery rollling thing made by men, short of a 32 deuce coupe and these mounts for the Z put the engine just in the right place so, if your mounts are of the latter design, I would happily order a set from you. Better encourage a fellow Z nut than any stranger from an other continent.[/quote']

Yup, a little better positioning, I have pictures on my site of where the motor is relocated to.