HybridZ

Can you name this Z Engine?

240ZR

So I would be Putting down 5k for another clean body, 15k for the engine... so another 20k car...... that dose seem a little steep.... But my goal has ALWAYS been to guild the badest *** one of a kind Z, Ideas where Wankle (its been done), Steam piston kit (too much Z cutting), Electric Drag car (Cant drive it daily), AWD Mudding toy (been done)..... ::sigh:: this is my last shot at a one of a kind Z, unless you think i can shove a Viper V-10 in there......

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

You could always drill the carb manifold for injector bosses with one of these:

cutting_tool.jpg

available from MSD: http://www.msdignition.com/fuel_10.htm

or you could cut a larger hole, and epoxy/weld in some of these:

2120.jpg

Also from MSD: http://www.msdignition.com/fuel_9.htm

Do you actually HAVE one of these motors? That would make for a cool project.

Deleted a bunch of posts that MAY have had incorrect info. Basically if the thread started of with the words "I think maybe..." it got deleted. Just trying to keep things tidy a bit, hope no one takes offense.

Thank The Moderation Gawds, it HAD to be done!

Alan can post more information on the S20 (which was the original post topic) but suffice to say they were making well over 300HP on those engines in race prep with Mechanical FI. I wish another 87 432's were produced so that the S20 engine was legal for Bonneville Competition. I need a production run of 500 vehicles (to the general public) to homogolate the engine in the chassis, and using an injected S20 with the Mechanical Injection cam sets would give us about 100 more HP than we are currently making from the L20A in the Land Speed Car.

That would make a significant difference in the top speed!

I always wanted to produce a T-Shirt with a "No Honda" logo over the pocket, with the technical cutaway of the S20 Cam Drive and Head Setup on the back with the specifications of the Mechanical Fuel Injection engines. Something along the line of "The Real Type-R, GT-R 345HP, 10,500rpm, Fuel Injected, No Variable Valve Timing, 1972"

Kinda puts the Honda Boys in their place with their "Latest And Greatest Technology" boast, eh?

I love the search function, there is some classic stuff hiding in the Hybridz archives. I ran a search for S20 just to see what came up, and got to read a great back and forth about the usefulness of the Kameari belt tensioner and whether or not it works better than a motorcycle tensioner. Also there is a ton of stuff on here about the OS Giken head. I guess when your car has been around as long as the Z, EVERYTHING is old news to SOMEBODY.

Hmm Tony D, I believe Veritech and I would both love to hear your experiences with the "other" Z engines... Maybe something of a blow-by blow comparison?

I've followed your posts across the various Datsun sites, and haven't seen you mention the DOHC's or crossflow much. Please tell more.

I liked the TC24B-1 mostly becasue it was in a killer 3.3+L conversion and wasn't the "slow revving" engine that most of the boards comment about.

This guy had well over 1 million yen in the stereo alone, I don't even want to fathom what he had in the car totally: TC24B-1 head, 50MM Solexes, HKS Triple Power CDI units, FRP hood, G-Nose, FRP Doors with Perplex Windows in everything but the front, FRP Hatch..... Where did it end? I have photos of this car in my old photo album form Japan Days...

It was a hoot to be sure. I don't know that I liked it "the best" simply because of the 432 That I got to drive during the same time period.

That was an original 432, with a Grand Slam GTR 2.2 Kit, and needed all of it's stock 10K RPM Tach! It was like running a Honduh, with it's mechanical injection cams and refitted Mikuini 44phh's (owner said the mechanical slide valve setup---which he had stored in old US Army Rocket Boxes---was to difficult to keep running on the street.

For the "small displacement revving rush" that car was probably the best all around fun car to drive. It revved and liked it. 4.44 Gearing and positraction, it really wasn't much different than what came from the factory. I don't know the 200CC's from the grand slam kit was worth all that much.

it was almost 20 years later when I got a drive in the 3.0L LY car. It's the one posted on my cardomain page. It was a strong runner, but not unlike the better built Non-Crossflow L28's I have been around.

The OS Engine was a "gee whiz" kind of addition, I think the breathing helped a massively stroked engine rev much more eagerly.

For a street car the 432 with the cams was simply just fun to drive and different than the others which were much more low end grunt due to the displacement difference.

I only wish the 432 was allowed for Bonneville Competition. I understand the 432 setup in proper tune was capable of over 300HP, which is stout by any measure for a 2L N/A Anything! And it would take the class record hands down. It would probably run close to the current 3l Class record holder (er, that's us, LOL!)

Thanks Tony, awesome post! Specs are specs, but real experience and "how it felt", are something that you just don't find much. Thanks for giving us a taste of what driving the unobtainable engines would be like. I'm working through my jealousy issues...