HybridZ

Newb w/ questions about turbo 400 to T5 swap

Guest analog74

Guest analog74

I have a turbo 400 in my 240Z and want to install a T5. I'd guess I'm putting out less than 250 hp, and will not be drag racing the car (autocrosser). Have searched forum and found a great anonymous post from someone who swapped a T5 in place of a turbo 350 and used a Ford F-150 clutch master cylinder and hose to connect to the Camaro slave cylinder. Said he was even able to use the same crossmember, but reversed it to mate up to the longer T5. Wrecked Camaros and Trans Ams come up with some frequency at the police auction here and can be had for $200-$400. I thought I'd buy a whole car and pull what I need. Have never done a job like this before and thought taking everything apart might help me get it back together in my car, as well as maybe getting some extras I could use. But I have a few questions still: I want to know what years Camaro and Trans Am should I be looking for so that the bell housing will bolt up to my 350 (it's from a '73 Corvette). Can I use the Camaro/TA clutch, pressure plate and flywheel if they are in good shape? Also, is the Turbo 400 tranny the same length as the Turbo 350? I've been told the crank is the same in a sbc 350 whether it's an automatic or manual, is that correct? Also, would the output shaft on the turbo 400 and the T5 also be the same? Any other pitfalls I should be aware of? I'm a newbie to both the Z and small block chevys, so assume I know nothing as you consider that question! Thanks in advance if you got this far.

I installed a T5 in my Z behind an LT1 from a 1995 Cop car. I used the Datsun crosmember instead of the item sold by JTR and had to move it about 5 inches to the rear to line it up with the mount point on the T5. Don't know how a TH350 compares to a T5 but I'm pretty sure a TH350 and TH400 are the same length. The mount location is also dependant on how the engine is mounted, JTR set back style or Scarab style. Do a search if these terms don't mean anything to you.

Look for an 83-89 V8 Camaro/TransAm, preferably 86-89 as the T5s are stronger in these.

Can you use the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch from the Camaro/Firebird? Depends on what year the tranny comes out of. Later 305 SBCs (86 and later) were externally balanced and had 1 piece rear main seals. The flywheel from these will not work with your engine so find a flywheel from an internally balanced SBC and the rest of the parts will bolt right to it. The cranks are not dependant on the transmission.

The Ford master cylinder has been made to work but not by me so search for that thread and then PM the guy to find out what all he did to make it work. I used a Wilwood 3/4" master cylinder and a stock Camaro slave cylinder for my setup.

You will need a clutch pedal if yours was removed.

You'll probably need to shorten the driveshaft. Find a local drivetrain shop that can do it, shouldn't cost to much.

The input shaft differences between the TH400 and T5 are totally irrelevant due to the very different natures of the manual T5 and the automatic TH400.

One last word, learn to use the search function on this site and the internet as a whole, there is a ton of information available if you just take the time and effort to look for it. Get the JTR (Jagsthatrun.com) manual if you don't already have it.

Wheelman