HybridZ

Looking for Engine Advice PLEAAAAASE!

jl87ma

of course it would be funny to see the junkyards in 100 years when all the junkyards are a nuclear hazardious waste aeras

If it weren't for people being afraid of nuclear energy (and probably the damn environmentalists) then we would probably have some pretty safe nuclear energy even today. I would think a nuclear battery could be made pretty safe, but who knows.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like you want to much and not want to spend much money.

a built high reving engine will cost prob the same amount of cash as a RB26DETT and so on.

i think the F20C is a good idea as ill be doing one in a Z but it will be FI'ed.

but it will cost you a big chuck of money.

the only engine that can do that kind of rpm range with slight mods and still some what reliable. AS LONG AS YOU TREAT THE ENGINE RIGHT!!! is a rotary.

atleast here in the states.

also the 3S motor from toyota.. the beams engine found in the Altezza over there.

6-speed, badass 4cyl engine that revs very very high... i can get them too for a nice price.

1JZ-GTE can also but its turbo but its one of the best engines that came from toyota.

CA18DET.. its turbo but revs very high and very strong.

you can get a SR to rev that high but its pricey....

also why do you want to have a engine that revs that high? low end powerband is better for a street car and even a track car.

also you can get ITB's on a turbo engine too.

sounds like you just want something to have it cuz its the in thing to have.. atleast in the honda crowd... this is hybridz not honda-tech.com

mike

mike

No i definitely do not follow the crowd or else why would i have a 72 240z. No one i know around here has a 240z i have seen some but only like 2. I thought the F20c would be a good choice because it is a reliable high revving engine and one of our HybridZ members recommended it. WHy are you saying i do what is in im just thinking about the possibility of this swap it is only an option. I accept i do not know a lot about engines but thats why this forum was created so we could all try to help each other. I am only here to garner knowledge and share it like many of our memebers do.

I just wanted to see what engine choices i might have.

I thank all of you who are responding and i hope you continue but please remember no one is perfect and no one knows everything.

ON3GO i appreciate your help and it seems one day we might be able to do business all i ask is that you do not insult me. I respect to be respected.

you said you would be able to get me the beams engine from the altezza how much would that run me?

What about a 3s from the states, which 3s would yu recommend for my intentions, ?

Thanks once again and keep that knowledge coming.

No i definitely do not follow the crowd or else why would i have a 72 240z. No one i know around here has a 240z i have seen some but only like 2.

FYI we all have Z's...

and on the topic of being different, No one has ever done a hyabussa engine into a z before, maybe you should try it? ON3GO is planning on doing a S2000 swap, and others have talked about it so I would say that in a few years there will be someone with an S2000 powered z. No one has done a rotary into a Z, except for Auxiliary, and even he has not completed the project. From what I know no one has done a CA18DE(T) swap into a z... so theres some uncharted territory for ya.

Whats wrong with the engine in the car now? You should really drive the Z around and enjoy the L engine before you go ripping up a car you've never driven. At least then you will have something to compare your swap to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

-Oliver

Back when I was a motorcyclist, I remember reading an article about a company that was making a siamesed Hayabusa engine. It was two Hayabusa joined. It was something like a 200 lb V-8 that put out some decent numbers even in torque. It also would fit in a 2'x2' box. Maybe a couple of those in a Z. One in the trunk and one under the hood would give you the acceleration you desire. I think the engine was supposed to retail around $13,000.00.

Guest nick_25

i at least totaally agree with you on that, it will probably be 4 months or more before i get to start on mine, but have been doing research everyday for like 2 months and have pretty much got what all i want to do and how i'm going to do it already figured out so that when i comes times to put her on the chopping block, i won't be like "uhhhh....what is this or what iam i supposed to do next"

Guest nick_25
Back when I was a motorcyclist, I remember reading an article about a company that was making a siamesed Hayabusa engine. It was two Hayabusa joined. It was something like a 200 lb V-8 that put out some decent numbers even in torque. It also would fit in a 2'x2' box. Maybe a couple of those in a Z. One in the trunk and one under the hood would give you the acceleration you desire. I think the engine was supposed to retail around $13,000.00.

this is really intresting, cause i have seen a 700HP busa before, so if you put 2 of those togather, you would have a 1400 HP HIGH REVVING V-8

this is really intresting, cause i have seen a 700HP busa before, so if you put 2 of those togather, you would have a 1400 HP HIGH REVVING V-8

Sure..... for $26000.00 BEFORE installation. :wink: That car could easily end up being a $100,000.00 investment before ever seeing a mile of the road. I can think of other things to spend that kind of money on. Not to mention that the $13,000.00 Busa was already two engines mated, so that would end up being 4 engines. With that kind of budget, just go for a 4-rotor and be done already, lol.

jl87na: I think the reason so many of us here have accused you of "fallowing the crowd" is becase many of your wants/needs don't add up. Wich is a tendency of people that only know what they've read from the major mags. This doesn't mean those are the only people that have convoluted wants, just the main type.

I personally think you should be looking for a motor that can make it into the 300hp range easily and then go beyond that if needed later on. You'll end up with lots of options, as opposed to NO options for 500hp/high rev/cheep. Frankly, any 500hp motor isn't gonna be "cheep" to my definition. Maybe "value practicality", but not cheep still. A cheep motor is one that costs less than 1/4th the car's value. My car is probly worth around 3-4k (low miles 37k) and thus anything below 1k I would call cheep. There aren't tons of motors that fall into this catagory. Junkyard maybe, but no money for mods. Now, this rule changes if you look at "invested dollors." In this case you might end up having a 20k budget for a rebuild. In this senario I'd budget 3k for motor/tranny, 2k for needed parts/fabrication, 5k for suspension, 4k for body work, remainder for tools/small parts required. I think that would be a realistic budget break down.

Now, on HZ we get tons of people that say "i've got XX budget" and it's usually far less money than what they'll need for thier ideas/dreams. If you've got 5k don't expect much. You might be able to get a nice motor in, but the car is gonna handle like crap still and it's going to be all the more noticable because now you've got a motor that pushes the car harder.

A truly fast car is about balance. If you wanted a balance Z with a 500hp/high reving/reliable car I think you'd end up spending well into the 30k range. Even if you did 100% work/fabrication youself I'd guess around 25k. If you had a buisness license and got wholesale on everything you might be able to knock a good 4-5k off that. But even that would be optimistic.

Johnc is probly one of the most knoledgable people I've met here. I'd kinda like to here a price quote from him for a suspention that could match and keep up with a 500hp Z.

i would love to see and hear a z thats got a 10000+ rpm range, but i think someone in the area with a turbo, or a sbc z should show him what their relatively low revving beast can do and we might have a convert on our hands.

edit: (damn that's a run on sentence)

Johnc is probly one of the most knoledgable people I've met here. I'd kinda like to here a price quote from him for a suspention that could match and keep up with a 500hp Z.

Funny, I'm starting work next month on a SCCA SM2 autocross 240Z that will be making about 425hp, running 285 width tires, and will weigh around 2,300 lbs. Chassis and suspension setup will be around $15,000.00 to make that car handle and put power down. Its competition inclides 2 FD RX7s making 450+ horsepower and Gary Thomason's 500+ hp C5 Z06 Corvette that stomped a number of other cars in a recent magazine test.

Thanks for the advice on all the engines. For sure i dont have 26g's to spend on engines alone. well as i keep reading im convinced that the knowlegeable ones are right. My Goals are possible but not for my budget.

OK let me redo my wants

ok well i want an engine that revs high, preferably toyota or nissan and a four cylinder. I want it to be N/A and i want it to have enough horsepower so that it will be a fast and fun car for the street, i am not into drag racing so i want my car to be a good balance between suspension and motor.

Now that i am not specifying horsepower i think my options would be greater. Remember i want it to be a street car and a reliable daily driver.

Tp those that said stop watching initaial D i will say that i do watch it and i enjoy the cartoon but i do know reality from fiction.

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WITH ADVICE KEPP THAT KNOWLEDGE POURING.

There have been several threads like this. The only reason why people actually responded the first time around was because the question was about an engine that would rev to 11000rpms!!!

Ok now for the "revised" question, You can get a sr20de, ka24de, ca18de, even a 13b rotary that will all make good power in N/A trim, and will make the Z a fun (lighter) car. All of those IMHO would only be worth it (compared to the stock engine or a fuel injected L6 N/A engine) if you turbocharged them, because the stock engine will usually exceed the output of those. (N/A of course)

Oh yeah, I guess you should take the 13b off that list if you want reliability.

-Oliver

Now that the definition has be refined a little I would go either SR20DE or 3RZ-FE. I would lean towards the 3RZ just for the fact that it is pretty bullet-proof, but certainly there is a larger knowledge base and A/M parts availability for the SR. I will be doing one of these two in my 240Z.... leaning towards SR, but would switch to the 3RZ in a heartbeat if I could hook up with someone that knew the engine much, as well as being able to source performance parts for it.

Just out of curiosity, why a 4cylinder and why high rpms? High rev's are kind of opposite to street use... Ya the F20C is a great engine even on the street, but it is borderline with such a deficit in torque. Also peak torque comes at what 6 or 7k. If that is what your into though, thats cool. It just seems that you want 11,000 rpms because Takumi had it on his 5 valve. I think before you do a swap like this, it would be wise to buy an automotive encyclopedia (like they use to teach mechanics in college) or read up about modern car engines. BTW the tachometor for an 11,000+ rpm engine would probably cost more then my 302 swap (exaggeration). Don't take any of my replies or anyone elses as insults, just trying to see where you are coming from. If there is one piece of advise I can give you about this swap, drive whatever car has the engine you are thinking of BEFORE you swap it. That way, you will have a much better idea of what you are gettting yourself into.