HybridZ

Stiffen and strengthen! HOW?

Ok so my cousin got back from boot camp, the one who went to wyo tech for high performace engines and turbo deisels. Sounds like on my '72 240z that we are doing a 350sbc swap with a turbo or maybe even twin turbos. My question is where would you guys strengthen the car and how? I'm having an 8 point rolecage put in along with front and rear sway bars with v links on the front bar, but with around 500 hp I'm not sure thats enough?! Just thinking of adding some support bars, to hold her together, if you have any suggestions where to put them please let me know. I'm not real sure where the weakest portions of the z's are. Thanks alot guys

Before someone else tells you in a meaner way... Please use the search function olong the top. Search from sub frame connectors' date=' frame reinforcement, etc.

Good Luck,

Joshua[/quote']

Ya I looked at the search list and so on, but still wondering where the weakest links are?

Search for the article about ITS cages. Katman talked alot about it, then someone hosted it online. I don't have the link anymore. You don't want an ITS cage (since I belive they are for saftey and specifically preclude chassis stiffening), but the article did a very good job talking about the Z's weak points.

What do you plan on doing with the car and how often. Drag racing frequently seems to pretty hard on a lot of parts. There was an article in z car mag a while bag with a guy to was more in to road racing with just the front and back tied together.

It seems a lot of guys just do what you just mentioned and are fine. I remember one of the turbo guys mentioning seeing cracks in the floor starting to appear, but I don't remember exactly who it was, but if memory serves me correct it was a completely unmodified frame.

A lot of guys have beefed up or replaced the frame rails. I plan on adding a heavier cap to my frame rails and connecting them to the rear rails along with a 6pt roll bar. I don't plan on waiting to see what will crack first.

I plan on just mainly an occational driver, you know the kind you take out and if some corvette pulls up to you at the light you can toast him!! no drag racing really, i think it would be hard to get the tires to bite real good.. I want to try some autocross, and maybe some racing on the track. But i don't want to make like a zillion ponies so that its not reliable enough to drive, you know what i mean. I forget to mention I have replaced the rockers, floors, floor supports, and front frame rails, the frame rails were not bad but i figured might as well get her done to while the engine is out and i'm doing things!

One more thing, i watch speed channel like 24/7 and I don't know if you guys have watched the show where the skyline, VW, and cobalt are going up against each other, but anyway on the skyline they went and spot welded more where the body panels meet. You know how there are the factory spot welds every inch or so, well they made a ton more welds and said that would help alot! wonder if it really would be that big of a deal and if it would help me?