HybridZ

MIG vs. TIG

johnc

Correct me if I'm wrong, both MIG & TIG welding can be used on aluminum and steel and stainless steel...You simply change the electrode to match what you are welding.

Yes, they can both be used to weld AL and stainless but no, with MIG its not just changing an electrode. You need to change out the gun and rollers to either one dedicated to AL only or use a spool gun.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not quite that simple

both welding types (MIG/TIG) SHOULD be used with a different shield gas for the differant metals, (STAINLESS vs ALUMINUM)

MIG obviously requires a different wire, and in most cases a different mig spool gun for aluminum, those are usually small 5 lb rolls the stainless feeds from the welder in 30-40 lb rolls that cost nearly $200

tig requires a different filler rod (10 lb packs about $60)and electrode and shield gas .($240 or so to own) cheaper to rent but theres a deposit required

your local miller welder supply will be THRILLED to point out the EXTRA stuff you'll need, example on my miller 252 it requires a different spool gun for aluminum and that alone is $1000, add the wire and ideally a different tank of shield gas adds an additional $340 or so

keep in mind mig basically squirts wire that melts as it grounds to the project, you don,t get heat or an arc without metal wire also

TIG is basically an electric arc you control with filler rods you dab and melt as you control both the feed of the fill rod rate and the heat of the arc and the duration the heat stays at any one point, migs generally faster once you get the settings correct and the skill to use it, tigs generally more precise and easier to hide or correct mistakes made on the first pass but it takes more skill to master and the equipments more expensive

Edited by grumpyvette

I learned how to weld on a TIG. I also tried MIG'ing at about the same time. I couldn't stand the MIG welder, because I like to stop and think for a short moment every once in a while. This led to large blobs of metal.

I'm not very good with TIG, but at least the controls I am used to. Just takes practice. I have learned that a lot of good prep. work goes a long way to help make your welds come out good.

• 4 months later...

sorry for pulling up an old thread but reading through this kinda confused me.

what would be more for me? a mig or tig?

i plan to do some reinforcing to the s30, fabricating exhaust systems, and welding misc things. would the mig be enough for me?

yhlz: MIG is what you want. You can start with a 110v input home welder with shielding gas and get good welds fairly easily. Going greater than 1/8" or 3/16" will require a MIG with 220v input and will provide much more current for thicker metals.

ok thanks. so if i want to weld on frame rails and weld in the camber kit later on, will the 110 be enough? also, i am planing to fab up an engine mount and trans mount for a swap. thanks.

how will i know if it has shielding gas? why is that needed? sorry, noob to welding machines.