HybridZ

VG30ET vs. L28ET

Guest RaiZed

I did a search but came up with answers related to non turbo comparisons...

OK...

I have a VG30ET and a L28ET both on engine stands sitting next to each other. they both need to be rebuilt, the VG30 is less complete than the L28 is..

(just minor stuff)

The VG30ET is out of a 84 300Z 50th AE.... and the L28 is the stocker out of the 82 ZXT.

I am needing to chose 1 to drop in my 82 ZXT..

The Jeep 4.0 swap idea is gone, (it got sold before I could decide)

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Fire away...

I would go with the L28et stroker and swap the elctronics from the VG over. Then can use the MAF sensor instead of the AFM, plus the z31 ecu is upgradable. There is a thread on how to do this somewhere but I forgot what section its in. Now that you know that there is a thread about doing such a thing, you can search for it.

Geez! How did I know someone was gonna tell me to search.

I DID DO A SEARCH!!!!

Ive been scrolling and reading for 2 hours!!!!!!!

Whata frickin broken record.....

If everyone just did a search, then WHY do you need any new members?

Im about to never post ANYTHING here EVER AGAIN!

Uhhhhhh Thanks...

Sooooooo.. I guess I'll just go search for about 5 hours and still not get the specific answer Im lookin for......

sorry for my rant, but dammit I had a question....

The only parts I have for the VG is the block,heads,intake,and turbo on the exaust manifold. no electronics,injectors etc etc ........

The VG would be a more extensive build, just wondering if it would be better.....

I can't find a darn thing on this specific subject in the search

SORRY GUYS!

dont worry about the search thingie.. i know exectly how you feel as i have searched for longer then 3 hours and stilll come up short of my answer...

anyways if i were you i would stick to a l28et... thay are easier to play with, cheaper, more reliable from past experiences... i could be wrong...i know the vg has electrical problems/glitches if not done right....plus the power potential of the l28et is more then you would need...300 ponies no problems...if you were going with a vg you must as well do a v8 conversion... just my two cent.. if youare set on the vg conversion then all the best and do it once do it right... dont cheap out on anything especially on new wires...:) there will be lots of them....

Hey RaiZed, I feel your pain! There are some guys on this site that think every question should be searched and if you don't find what your looking for then you must have done something "wrong" in your searching. I tore into some dude once for giving me the "you need to search" line.

Keep the faith though, for every a$$hole that tells you to search, there are hundreds of very helpfull people.

I don't know much about the VG engine but I agree with vashonZ for what you would spend putting in the VG you could build a 300+ RWHP L28 turbo. Just grab some of the stuff off the VG and rock and roll.

If I were you I would rebuild the L28T short block with flat top pistons (instead of dished) with a 20thou over bore, and a 1mm felpro head gasket gives you a CR of 8.8:1. That should make it really quick off the line and once the T-3 kicks in ... watchout! ... Get yourself a nice IC and some bigger injectors along with megasquirt, oh yeah and lets not forget the 60mm throttle body and you'll still spend less than you would with a VG swap. does 0-60 times of around 4 sec. sound fast enough to you? So I guess you need to weigh cash vs. HP.

This is all just my 2 cents and it's probably worth that much, but I hope it gave you enough info to help you make a choice.

let us know what you decided to do and don't sweat the "just search" jerks there's more of us than there are of them.

Rock on Z people :rockon:

Geez! How did I know someone was gonna tell me to search.

I DID DO A SEARCH!!!!

Ive been scrolling and reading for 2 hours!!!!!!!

Whata frickin broken record.....

If everyone just did a search' date=' then WHY do you need any new members?

Im about to never post ANYTHING here EVER AGAIN!

Uhhhhhh Thanks...

Sooooooo.. I guess I'll just go search for about 5 hours and still not get the specific answer Im lookin for......

sorry for my rant, but dammit I had a question....[/quote']

I think you've mistook AK-Z's response, he was saying there is a specific thread for you to convert your L28ET to use the Z31 ECU and MAF, he also stated he like the L28ET. I think everyone is to quick to jump out and say they searched (NOT SAYING YOU DIDN'T), but sometimes it takes 5 hrs of searching to find the right thread, I know I've done it.

Now back to the topic, as everyone else has said a VG30 does have more power potential for less in most cases, however the upfront cost and cost to get it to fit, not to mention the amount of fabrication required to get it to fit/work right. I'd say L28ET, I like the sound, and look in the engine bay, they can also make some pretty nice HP numbers.

Tyson

OMG! Thank you for being so civil about my question!

By better, yes I ment bang for my buck....

I have been researching the VG so much I think Im gonna have nightmares about it and this forum tonight! LOL

I have decided to build the L28et.

Bottom line= I'm just not a big fan of V6's.

I am acquanted with the L28 and feel way more confident of the build up and staying within "Z" budget........ LOL Budget...........

My plans however for the VG30ET is to prep and store it in the corner of the garage and later on try to stuff it into a old classic Datsun Pickup...

Now theres a bitchin hybrid for ya, eh?

I think you've mistook AK-Z's response' date=' he was saying there is a specific thread for you to convert your L28ET to use the Z31 ECU and MAF, he also stated he like the L28ET. I think everyone is to quick to jump out and say they searched (NOT SAYING YOU DIDN'T), but sometimes it takes 5 hrs of searching to find the right thread, I know I've done it.

Tyson[/quote']

I was not in any way pointing my frustrations towards AK-Z, or this particular thread, it has happened to damn near all of my posts...

I appologize for any WRONG directions my rant may have been pointed.

It was pointed at HybridZ as a WHOLE......

I absolutely refuse to search again for 5+ hours... Search? Yes Deffinately! but not for 5 hours.....

Its like walking up to a group of Nissan people standing in a library full of books talking about THEIR cars and issues and little ol dumb newbie me going up to them and asking what the heck is the stock Boost PSI on a L28ET?

All of them know damn well what the answer is, and they just point at all the books and say Just search dude thats what all these books are for, Duh!

anyways, Thank you!

and all I can say is if it werent for me stumbling onto this GREAT site, I wouldnt be as far as I am on my Project..... I would still be scratching my head saying what the hell am I getting myself into!

Take that how you want to , and Let the build up commense.

Just some pros for the VG are they are very strong, very reliable, and the VG30E(T)'s are quite light weight for an iron block V6. I don't know how often it holds true but it seems like Nissan V6's tend to make much more low end torque than their inline 6's. It would require a lot of fabrication though which means a lot of time and potentially a lot of money.

I would go with the L28et stroker and swap the elctronics from the VG over. Then can use the MAF sensor instead of the AFM, plus the z31 ecu is upgradable. There is a thread on how to do this somewhere but I forgot what section its in. Now that you know that there is a thread about doing such a thing, you can search for it.

MAF and AFM are the same thing...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason84NA-T

There is info on my web site on editing the 88-89 Z31 ECU. Not only is it better than all previous nissan ecu's to begin with, but has unlimited potential with the right sensors and tuning.

http://www.redz31.com

click on the romulator page.

Well!

Its a done deal!

Im building the L28, I played Santa and just gave the VG to a buddy here in Datsun Nissan Drivers club. for FREE!

Thanks fer all the input guys

I do belive that the VG30 is a "better" motor. but ohh well, The guy I gave it to was soo stoked! hes gonna stuff it into an old Datsun 510! that should be interesting..

Thanks again!

MAF and AFM are the same thing...

AFM = Air Flow Meter

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor

They perform the same function, but are of completely different implementations.

The AFM from the '75 to '83 280Z(x) uses a flapper door to restrict incoming air prior to the throttle body so the primitive ECU can pump the fuel using a fixed matrix based on the position of the AFM 'flapper'.

The MAF from the 300zx uses a heated wire element to MEASURE the amount of air coming into the throttle body and uses it's more sophisticated ECU to meter the amount of fuel being injected based on the MAF sensor reading + throttle position sensor + O2 sensor to make the air / fuel ratio match whatever is programmed into the computer.

All of these combined with the elimination of the restrictive flapper door make for a much more accurate and free flowing air fuel mixture.

Cheers,

WW

• 2 years later...

Idk about u all u guys with ur l28ets but i for one say the v30et makes GOOD power.. and a lot easier than the l series motors.

Not only that but u can find th vg30 in just about any junkyard you go to.

Im plannin on starting to build and rebuild by vg30et to make at least 300hp. In order to do that you need to really look into these motors and see what their capable of.

The fastest street legal 300zx z31, with that much more wieght than our cars ran a 9.32.

Which just proves my point.