HybridZ

1971 Datsun 240z resto.project [vids/pics]

mull

Keep up the great work. Your videos are excellent and show how to make the best of a bad situation. Too bad patience is something you either have or don't, but glad you do. I'm sure your car will come out as a superior representation of what can be done, if done right. Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris

Guest SC457A

Very nice videos. I admire your dedication.

Seeing that amount of rust really makes me happy I have a basically intact car (well before the "racing additions" IE roll cage/9-inch/tin work.) with only having some mild rust in rockers and quarters.

Once again, thank you so much for all the kind/uplifting/cheerful comments!! :) :)

Here are some pics of the latest and greatest. Video is en route during the week hopefully :)

01_G.jpg

Last picture showing the original... Crap :)

02_G.jpg

...Chop chop...

03_G.jpg

...Buh'bye now :)

04_G.jpg

Mounts stripped from the original frame rails

05_G.jpg

Welded to the passenger side fire wall!

06_G.jpg

Inside/front (passenger side) - sweet stuff :)

07_G.jpg

Johan - guilty - welding deluxe :) He holds a license.

08_G.jpg

Sewing it together...

09_G.jpg

...Subframe's shaping up :)

10_G.jpg

...inside...

Awesome work! I've learned more about Datsun unibody structure in the last few day by reading your posts than I have over the last 5 years of having my own 240z in various stages of deconstruction. It has been pretty inspirational as well, I spent the entire day in the garage today, for the first time in at least a few months. Keep up the good work!

Mike

holy crap philip, this is an amazing undertaking! [i'm also] interested in a mull-hugo compilation dvd when it's all done. i'm always amazed when i see the work of true craftsmen, such as who you have helping hugo working their magic. love the video's also, sure wish i had the creative talent to do something on the same level for my z...

keep us updated as we're all enjoying the great progress!

Hey, the videos are really great and I'm looking forward to more. I have spent countless hours doing the exact same thing on my friend's rotisserie car.

My biggest question is this: how much is that guy charging you an hour? Are you on some kind of sponsorship? Because although I know shipping a car over there isn't cheap, I would think you could have bought and shipped 5 or 6 more cars that really were pretty rust free for the normal price of the shop time that's been spent so far.

In any case, good luck and keep them coming!

00_G.jpg

WTF is Pimp My Ride?

01_G.jpg

POR-15 + dust = true. LOL :)

02_G.jpg

18"? Chrome? Bling? Is that something you eat?

03_G.jpg

Subframe connects to the rear

04_G.jpg

More rust fixed, yey!

05_G.jpg

Handsome!

06_G.jpg

Floor fixed

07_G.jpg

Closing time =)

08_G.jpg

Richard, welding!

09_G.jpg

So pretty :)

10_G.jpg

Charming :)

11_G.jpg

Hugo thought the plastic made him look younger.

I've been following this because I scraped a 240 with less rust than you're dealing with and found a 260 that was much cleaner. I still had to do quite a bit of work to it but nothing like what you have been through. Our front frame rails and subframes are very similar though. Here is a pic before gusseting the TC buckets.

subframes.jpg

I went with 1/4" plate instead of tubing but I still think it will be very strong.

TC%20Tie%20In.jpg

Your work is an inspiration and I live to see the videos of progress you are showing, its amazing the work those guys do over there.

If anyone isnt using them now for metal fabrication, I cannot see why they are just incredible.

Your Z will be awesome to say the least.

Awesome work! I've learned more about Datsun unibody structure in the last few day by reading your posts than I have over the last 5 years of having my own 240z in various stages of deconstruction. It has been pretty inspirational as well' date=' I spent the entire day in the garage today, for the first time in at least a few months. Keep up the good work!

Mike[/quote']

Good on ya :) If you have a thread on the car anywhere on this wonderful

forum - please let me know. Keep hammering/welding/etc - your Z loves you ;)

holy crap philip' date=' this is an amazing undertaking! [i'm also'] interested in a mull-hugo compilation dvd when it's all done. i'm always amazed when i see the work of true craftsmen, such as who you have helping hugo working their magic. love the video's also, sure wish i had the creative talent to do something on the same level for my z...

keep us updated as we're all enjoying the great progress!

Not sure there will be a DVD for sale when I'm done. Why? Because of the

songs I'm using. Copyrights/royalties would put me back 200 years financially :)

Are you on some kind of sponsorship?

Yeah, I am. I suppose I could've had a couple of more 240z brought in, but

Hugo is my first born you know - can't just get rid of it ;):D

nice! very well done yet again. im really impressed with the project pace and must say I look forward to each update/installment!

Thanks mate :)

I've been following this because I scraped a 240 with less rust than you're dealing with and found a 260 that was much cleaner. I still had to do quite a bit of work to it but nothing like what you have been through. Our front frame rails and subframes are very similar though. Here is a pic before gusseting the TC buckets.

http://www.musclecarsoforlando.100megs25.com/jeff/zcar/subframes.jpg

I went with 1/4" plate instead of tubing but I still think it will be very strong.

http://www.musclecarsoforlando.100megs25.com/jeff/zcar/TC%20Tie%20In.jpg

Haha' date=' I had a friend look at your rotisserie while he was doing the drawings

for mine. It was a great help, thanks for "the plans" over at Z-parts.com =)

Personally, I friggin' hate 1/4" plates - since that's what we had to remove

from therails, revealing the hinge, etc. Looks like a good fit on your car, lets

just hope there aren't any surprises behind it ;)

Thanks for the pictures! Best of luck to you as well, keep up the good work!

Your work is an inspiration and I live to see the videos of progress you are showing, its amazing the work those guys do over there.

If anyone isnt using them now for metal fabrication, I cannot see why they are just incredible.

Your Z will be awesome to say the least.

Thanks man! Reasons for the step up in pace are mainly:

1: SCE had to clear out some space to make way for new projects, among

others: Building a BMW Z3 M-GTR (thread in swedish here), making carbon fiber

roofs for a wicked custom Porsche (one that hopefully will run 7's on The Ring),

a couple of BMW's, Audi S2's, Saab 93, and loads of other custom carbon stuff.

Also, summer's here in less than 5 months - depending on what you call summer :)

Wow Philip, What do you guys drink? This is absolutely breathtaking; I just love the total commitment to the restoration it reminded me of the pain I went through during my rebuild when I had to replace both sills, make up repair panels for the rear ¼ and dogleg but I didn’t need to touch the chassis/frame.

My references to the water there in Sweden take a look at this chop top Z!

645045_2.jpg

Look Here for the full Story it is worth it!

Do you know him?

Chuckie:twisted:

Wow Philip' date=' What do you guys drink? This is absolutely breathtaking; I just love the total commitment to the restoration it reminded me of the pain I went through during my rebuild when I had to replace both sills, make up repair panels for the rear ¼ and dogleg but I didn’t need to touch the chassis/frame.

My references to the water there in Sweden take a look at this chop top Z!

[img']http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/645000-645999/645045_2.jpg[/img]

Look Here for the full Story it is worth it!

Do you know him?

Chuckie:twisted:

Yeah, I know him. Well ... The water. Hmm. I dunno. I was born pretty close

to when Chernobyl blew up. Maybe that has something to do with it? :)

[micro "update"]

spionbild.jpg

Screen cap from upcoming video, some paint and clear coat being added to

the dash in order to make the mold for the carbon fiber dash. Dash will most

likely be messed up when removing the mold (since the vinyl isn't attached

that good in some places, etc) so don't get too angry or attached to the

color of choice :)