HybridZ

1971 Datsun 240z resto.project [vids/pics]

mull

Screen cap from upcoming video' date=' some paint and clear coat being added to

the dash in order to make the mold for the carbon fiber dash. Dash will most

likely be messed up when removing the mold (since the vinyl isn't attached

that good in some places, etc) so don't get too angry or attached to the

color of choice :)[/quote']

I can personally attest to the strength of epoxy resin when trying to release it fom a mold, I went through this recently on my own dash: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98077 You guys seem to be much more competant with composites than me though :) so I'm sure your will turn out better than mine did. Looking forward to the video of this one. This is destined to be one of the most educational threads ever posted on HybridZ, keep up the good work!

Mike

I can personally attest to the strength of epoxy resin when trying to release it fom a mold' date=' I went through this recently on my own dash: [url']http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98077[/url] You guys seem to be much more competant with composites than me though :) so I'm sure your will turn out better than mine did. Looking forward to the video of this one. This is destined to be one of the most educational threads ever posted on HybridZ, keep up the good work!

Mike

Sweet dash! :)

I guess it comes down to how many layers of wax you add before you

start applying whatever you choose make the mold from. I'm not the

expert, I don't work with molds and release agents and whatever.. :)

I'll just shut up and let the video do the talking when we've come

that far in the process =)

Cheers!

i did a quick search and came up with this [i'm sure there are more].

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=302304

most of the pics are unavailable but i'm sure blueovalz has pics on the process in his gallery and that, consistent with his enviable z madness, is also well documented [terry is always a great reference!]

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={7DC317B0-8EDB-4B2E-A837-F708D07C9769}&inv=9C67398D46D99D9&userid={7DC317B0-8EDB-4B2E-A837-F708D07C9769}&AlbumId={58D0E16C-17AA-4A01-9908-4535ADE54EFC}&inv=9C67398D46D99D9&GroupId={75FF3451-95EB-4D59-974B-686622B9408B}

as i looked at all the 'mods' the guys are making to your z [antenna, marker lights, fuel door] the drip rails just make sense to continue with the 'clean hugo' look.

Just amasing. While your are in there, why not make the room for much more tire in the rear all within the tubs and maybe even a much stronger diff so that you do not have to go back there to fix anything. My .02 cents.

Good luck.

Ken C.

Wow, you guys got me thinking. But I think I'll pass on shaving the drip rails

for now and leave it for a rainy day (ha-ha, errr :)) ....

The roof might just get a make-over later on *caugh* carbon *caugh* =)

- - - - - - - - - -

Just amasing. While your are in there' date=' why not make the room for much more tire in the rear all within the tubs and maybe even a much stronger diff so that you do not have to go back there to fix anything. My .02 cents.

Good luck.

Ken C.[/quote']

I wasn't planning on fitting rims wider than 12" in the rear anyway so it's

pretty unnecessary to fit wider tubs. Flares will be added later on : )

- - - - - - - - - -

I ordered some goodies today, N1 water pump and N1 oil pump. Yummie : )

pumpar.jpg

Guest nick_25

like everyone else has said, another truly amazing video, but just a question that i am not sure if anyone has asked, but how much is all this metal work costing you?

So Mull Has the sce people determined how much weights going to be added with all the new metal.

Btw Ive seen your videos they are excellent.

That much rust is insane. My 280z Has almost no rust becuase the old owner put covers on it etc etc. How do you plan on redoing the rest ala the interior there are some parts that are either extremely hard to find or cost alot of money.

like everyone else has said, another truly amazing video, but just a question that i am not sure if anyone has asked, but how much is all this metal work costing you?

Thanks man =)

I get good value for my money, that's as much as I'd like to share... : )

So Mull Has the sce people determined how much weights going to be added with all the new metal.

Btw Ive seen your videos they are excellent.

That much rust is insane. My 280z Has almost no rust becuase the old owner put covers on it etc etc. How do you plan on redoing the rest ala the interior there are some parts that are either extremely hard to find or cost alot of money.

A couple of kilos perhaps, I dunno. It's still no problem lifting the car if you're

two non-body builder persons, so I hope that it's not that much... The scale will tell once everything's done ; )

Which interior parts are extremely hard to find/very expensive?

Door panels is one iv yet to track down. And theres peices to the inside door system that cant be replaced once broken unless you goto a junkyard.

Ofcourse you can have an interior place probally do the interior door panels.

And are you getting the dsh done at sce also. I personally have been searching for an entire dash replacement not just a cover. I wish someone on the forums could start molding and selling new dashboards.

Door panels is one iv yet to track down. And theres peices to the inside door system that cant be replaced once broken unless you goto a junkyard.

Ofcourse you can have an interior place probally do the interior door panels.

And are you getting the dsh done at sce also. I personally have been searching for an entire dash replacement not just a cover. I wish someone on the forums could start molding and selling new dashboards.

Doors will most likely be custom made from carbon fiber once the roll cage

and new seats are mounted. Door sides will probably need a bit of adjusting

for seat clearance. So no NOS or original door sides are needed.

PDK Fabrications sell fiberglass dashes @ $450.

http://www.pdkfabrication.bravepages.com/Dash.htm

Don't know anything about the build quality though, but they seem ok?

Doors will most likely be custom made from carbon fiber once the roll cage

and new seats are mounted. Door sides will probably need a bit of adjusting

for seat clearance. So no NOS or original door sides are needed.

PDK Fabrications sell fiberglass dashes @ $450.

http://www.pdkfabrication.bravepages.com/Dash.htm

Don't know anything about the build quality though' date=' but they seem ok?[/quote']

Taken off the page "will fit the 280Z but won't fit the 280Z center console"

Thats nice but i have a 280z :(