HybridZ

Learning to Mig Weld

Guest Mateo

Why do you want a MM135? Inifinite voltage control is (in my opinion) an extra hassle for a novice...

If you practice, you won't be a novice for long. And when welding on the nice thin metal of a Z, the extra control/adjustability is definitely in your favor and worth the expense. I think you'll be much better-off with the 135 in the long run than with some of the cheaper, less adjustable models. Just my humble opinion.

A hands-on class at your local community college is best. You get the benefit of a knowledgable instructor giving you immediate feedback. I bought a good MIG welding instructional video from Eastwood Company and the Miller book and started practicing. I bought a bunch of scrap metal in various thicknesses from a local steel yard and began welding after/while watching the video several times. Make some welds, cut them apart, inspect your weld depth/penetration and repeat the process until you are confident in what you are doing.

The Millermatic 135 is a good welder, even for a novice.

Why do you want a MM135? Inifinite voltage control is (in my opinion) an extra hassle for a novice- not an aide. HH140 or Lincoln SP-135T.

You can be self-taught. Read the manual and practice practice practice.

The SP-135T is a great machine. i love mine. not to crazy about the gun, but it works great, very reliable and durable.

i have a miller 135 that i pretty much learned on (had a few quickies in hs but nothing in depth) i love the miller over the lincoln (i use a lincoln at work) its quicker to change spools, the construction seems a little bit better (larger electrodes in the box and such) ive run probably 35 lbs of wire through my miller in the last 4 years with no problems. when you start off start with .023 wire in a 3lb roll also pickup a .025 and a .030 roll with the appropriate tips, using the different wires will help you understand the heat transfer between the different sizes of wire, the speed in which to move (puddle size/speed relationship) also go pick up a book at your local bookstore, it will help more than you think. if you ever need advice or have a problem, pm me. oooh and your local welding shop will probably teach you how to weld free of charge if you buy the machine from them. (mine offered me that) goodluck! -pete

I also have a MM135 that I'm still learning on. I think the variable voltage is DEFINITELY a plus for sheet metal welding, which is pretty much all I've done. I don't think it's nearly as critical for welding 1/8" plate, but when you're working with the really thin stuff it sure comes in handy.

Take a welding class. Often, these classes are available at a local junior college.

The cost is low, plus, you will get plenty of "free" steel to practice on and different equipment to practice with.

The instructor will look at your welds, and tell you what you are doing wrong.

There is more to welding than having a welder -- you will need eye protection, gloves, a jacket, and possibly, breathing equipment.

Most importantly, the instructor will teach you about safety.

I agree about the infinite voltage control, or better the lack thereof. I don't think it is necessary, and actually is probably more complexity than is needed. I have a Lincoln HD3200 (110V version like a 135T) with tapped outputs and it is awesome with C25 and .023 wire. The tapped output is easy to adjust and learn, and will weld just as good as an infinite control, maybe even better with a novice at the gun.

There are tons of variables in welding, from material type and thickness, wire stickout, gun angle, wire speed (a BIG DEAL, controls the amps on MIG), etc. There are even subtle differences such as wire BRAND, yes it does make a difference!

I was hung up on getting an infinite voltage machine as my second machine, but was convinced differently from expert welders. I ended up going with a MM210 (a tapped machine). I have used this machine on body panels to multi-pass 1/2" plate. It has shined with everything so far. The wire speed is very important regardless of voltage (within reason).

The thing that I have read about and have seen people not like about some of the Miller's smaller MIG's is the WST (Wire Speed Tracking). A lot of people don't like that. I don't know whether the MM135 has this, but if it does, I would look elsewhere. I think it might, and that is probably why many people really like the HH135 (Hobart tapped unit). The HH units get great reviews as well.

I know this did not answer your question, but I hope maybe it helps in understanding the machines a little. I do not claim to be an expert welder, but I certainly can lay some quality welds.

Joshua

I have a video that came with my lincoln welder that I have no use for. PM me if you want it. It had some general theory and pointers. You can learn on your own, but I think I would take a short class at community college. Actually I still may do this. I'd like to get more consistency in my welds.

I personally find the infinite voltage control to be a wonderful thing... particularly with thinner metals.

I have a MM 175. I did a little welding with some lower end welders in the past, and was still a novice when I bought the MM 175. It is a wonderful machine. The infinite adjustability didn't make welding any more difficult, and this machine welds so much better than those machines I've used without infinite adjustability (Lincoln Weld Pak 100, and another little Lincoln without infinite voltage adjustability).

As for learning, just practice! Really, get some scraps and start sticking them together. If you find yourself having trouble, then try the local community college or find someone with experience who can give you some pointers.

Good luck with the purchase.