HybridZ

Hobart vs. Miller vs. Lincoln

JaysZ

I have the MM175 with the Miller cart and mine sits loose too. I used one of those rubber mats for tool box shelves so it will stay put. A friend of mine has the harbor freight cart and I think it's much nicer. It places the welder closer to arms reach, which is a great feature right off the bat. Also, it comes in blue that's very close to the welder's color. One thing however, with the HF cart, IIRC you need to "notch" the table so the welder's door can open. Not a big deal.....

As for the original topic: Miller:Hobart:Lincoln...? As others have already stated, on the 110v and even the 220v units all three make good models. You really can't go wrong with either.

this might of been menchioned but the Miller has a all steel wiring feeding mechanism, the Lincoln's is plastic. Another than that, the Miller 135 and Lincoln 135 are about the same, exept the 135T doesnt have the infinite voltage control...personally, i love my 135T, and i think the IVC is not really necessary, unless you are going into a welding proffession, for a hobby, i think the 4 setting they have is sufficient... Might want to save up and get something in 220v.

I have a miller 175 which has WST. I've had it for 4 years, and for a while, couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I tested it side by side with a Lincoln 175 SP without WST, discovered that was the issue. I would recommend the Lincoln, until Miller includes a switch to shut off the WST. Doing fine work with body steel is easier, and the Lincoln handles the .023 wire better. I wish I had tested them side by side before purchase. Welding the heavier stuff with .030 wire, there is less of a difference. My next welder will be a Miller 210.

Conversely, I have a Miller 180SD TIG, which is head and shoulders better than the Lincoln 175 TIG.

Doug

Personally I have never had a problem with the wire speed sensing on my MM175 - I set my voltage and then adjust the wire speed to suit the situation.

I trained on Lincoln stuff when I took classes at the local VoTech, but after researching on the internet, I went with BLUE, because they are much nicer to the "little guys" and provide forums to learn and ask questions on.

Haven't regretted the decision at all.

I've got an MM175 too. I think it is a wonderful machine. I "test drove" quite a few welders before ponying up the cash to buy one. Of all of them, I liked the Miller the best... and the higher voltage welders really do make a nicer weld from my (limited) experience.

I have always been around welders in freinds auto body and restoration shops but I am no pro. When I came to buy my own I had used many welders and I did a night school class to make sure I knew what I was talking about, this also let me try top shelf welders.

I bought the Lincon 135 continiusly variable wire and amps.

My experience over the years leads me to recomend.

1. get at least continiusly variable wire and amps

2. get an auto darkening visor

3. practice like crazy on scrap

Only very rarely do I wish I had a bigger machine, for example when welding the arm on the tractor I had to do multiple passes with the flux cored wire.

Mike