HybridZ

z31 swap

Guest tha-Zic

Guest tha-Zic

what would be an simple motor sides the vg30 or vg30, to put in my z31?

does any motor swap out with the z31 stock trans.?

i have heard same thing like ka20 or sr20 motors?

What Stinky said.

The VG30ET is a great engine, in the US there is lots of stuff available to improve performance. My choice would be one with a top end aftermarket ECU and a single GT35R turbo. That would blow most anything away.

• 3 years later...
the japanese z31 came with a rb20det, so im sure any rb is doable.. also ive seen pics of sr20s in there, so even a ka24de would fit the same way. How bout a 13bt rotary engine!?!

200zr came with the RB, all others had the VG. google images pwns you. If i had to choose between a vg30et or the sr20det, SR hands down for me, the aftermarket for the SR is just there and the VG30et's just isnt.

engine.z31.sr20det.1.jpg

i would have to disagree with the above post about it being cheaper to get power out of, now anyone can turn up the boost, but when you start making anything over 300HP you have to start looking at building a motor.

You are kidding right, go to z31performance and see it yourself, the vg30et is know for supporting over 400hp on stock internals, do your a search before you throw something out there.

I just got an 86 Z31 Turbo and have been reading alot about them lately, and the aftermarket isn't there because the stock setup is a great platform for bolt on modifications.

The stock ECU can be modified to run Romulator, just upgrade the turbo, plenum, injectors, etc. and you can make serious power for cheap. There is also plenty of room for an intercooler in the front.

Z31.com is an awesome website.

You are kidding right, go to z31performance and see it yourself, the vg30et is know for supporting over 400hp on stock internals, do your a search before you throw something out there.
supporting 400 and making 400 are vastly different things. and do my research? i have owned 5-6 z31's in the past 5 years, ontop of the fact that i have been around z's my entire life. i KNOW what it takes to get power out of a z31 and take a helluva lot more then you think, like i said, it takes more then a boost and a tune to make power.

lets do a cost estimate for a stock internal'd vg30et this is to say make a low balling 300WHP at 13psi.

1: gutted plenum runs around $300

2: 240sx 60MM TB ran for around $70 last time i checked.

3: nistune, with all the required nistune stuff is $530

4: wideband and gauge innovate motorsports XD-16 retails for $375

5: hotter/colder plugs and bigger wires with a MSD blaster coil, $136

6: cheap-o ebay generic intercooler kit, $300 plus whatever misc elbows and piping you need.

7: turbo, garette GT35R (holset's dont like large boost #'s) around $1100

8: timing belt kit, with new water pump, seals, tensioners,..etc around $400

9: down pipe for the turbo $200

10: wastegate (because boost spikes kill) $300 for a quality used one (TIAL, greddy..etc)

11: cheap BOV around $150

total= $3861 building a fast car or high HP dyno queen never is and never will be cheap, if you want something you can build cheaply go buy a honda.

and that is about what you need to PROPERLY boost it.

supporting 400 and making 400 are vastly different things. and do my research? i have owned 5-6 z31's in the past 5 years, ontop of the fact that i have been around z's my entire life. i KNOW what it takes to get power out of a z31 and take a helluva lot more then you think, like i said, it takes more then a boost and a tune to make power.

lets do a cost estimate for a stock internal'd vg30et this is to say make a low balling 300WHP at 13psi.

1: gutted plenum runs around $300

2: 240sx 60MM TB ran for around $70 last time i checked.

3: nistune, with all the required nistune stuff is $530

4: wideband and gauge innovate motorsports XD-16 retails for $375

5: hotter/colder plugs and bigger wires with a MSD blaster coil, $136

6: cheap-o ebay generic intercooler kit, $300 plus whatever misc elbows and piping you need.

7: turbo, garette GT35R (holset's dont like large boost #'s) around $1100

8: timing belt kit, with new water pump, seals, tensioners,..etc around $400

9: down pipe for the turbo $200

10: wastegate (because boost spikes kill) $300 for a quality used one (TIAL, greddy..etc)

11: cheap BOV around $150

total= $3861 building a fast car or high HP dyno queen never is and never will be cheap, if you want something you can build cheaply go buy a honda.

and that is about what you need to PROPERLY boost it.

Ok, I get your point, I didnt say it was free, $3861 still less than what most swaps cost if you do it right, if he swaps a sr20det in a z31 ins going to cost more than and get less power.

Ok, I get your point, I didnt say it was free, $3861 still less than what most swaps cost if you do it right, if he swaps a sr20det in a z31 ins going to cost more than and get less power.

And most of the things you listed, Hoov, would have to be bought for any swap if the car was N/A.

I also understand you were being liberal, and turbo swaps always end up costing more than initial expectations, but I got my 240sx TB for $15 on ebay.

no, his entire car is built, if memory serves central florida turbo built and tuned that car damn well and he was running high 9's last time i seen his thread.

it is built now. and i built the car, my buddy(owner of CFT) and me tuned it.

i made 280hp 345tq with a stock engine, stock ecu and stock turbo with just a fuel pump, gutted intake, flywheel,exhuast and starion fmic.

Made 450 with same as above just a 60-1 turbo and jwt plugnplay kit

i made 489 on a stock bottom end with the same 60-1 turbo and jwt plugnplay kit with cams

I made 530hp and 501 tq (notice the tq? far above sr territory for that power level) with the same as above just built the motor because i broke it when i didn't know my fpr gauge was bad

All the above we also way before nistune exsited

and i've built numerous sr20 cars. even a 622hp one.. I love the sr motor but there is no comparison the vg owns the SR. Even more so in the z31 frame as you suggested.

How would a SR handle daily, in town driving in a Z31? Would it be enough to move the beast quickly enough, without getting into the boost?

How would a KA-T fit into this debate? If I understand correctly, they produce more torque than a SR, and they are everywhere in junkyards.

• 2 weeks later...

As well stated in this thread already, the VG ownes a lot of engines really hard, hands down. It's got more displacement than any reasonable 4 cylinder, so it has lots of off boost torque, and dropping in a turbo engine, or converting one over to turbo is still cheaper than any engine swap (save maybe the KA if you do every little piece of work yourself, and you still have to turbo it...).

If they fit easier into the S30 I think more people would do it, but maybe that's just my thinking since I find them to be such an amazing little engine.

They're also very light for being a "heavy iron block" and have a lower center of gravity than an inline engine.

• 4 months later...

You dont know nearly as much as you think, and your misinformation hurts the z31 cause. Ill review your mod list here for 300whp

1: gutted plenum runs around $300 not needed

2: 240sx 60MM TB ran for around $70 last time i checked. not needed

3: nistune, with all the required nistune stuff is $530 about 300 USD

4: wideband and gauge innovate motorsports XD-16 retails for $375 not needed

5: hotter/colder plugs and bigger wires with a MSD blaster coil, $136 not needed

7: turbo, Garrett GT35R (holset's dont like large boost #'s)13psi is less than the factory holset wastegate spring around $1100 not needed

8: timing belt kit, with new water pump, seals, tensioners,..etc around $400 not needed

9: down pipe for the turbo $200 100 at a muffler shop

10: wastegate (because boost spikes kill) $300 for a quality used one (TIAL, greddy..etc) factory wastegate works fine... not needed

11: cheap BOV around $150 bov does not make any horsepower. not needed

total= $3861.

Add a $50 boost controller online, DSM injectors from ebay for $130

300whp is easilly acheived for less than 1000 and completely reliable with mostly factory parts.