HybridZ

I got a '87 z31 LSD (w/ some questions)

Phyxius

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a picture of a clutch that we cut from a scrap piece of stainless. Don't pay any attention to the spot around the outside edge...that was there before we started cutting.

ssclutch.jpg

I'll keep you updated on further progress.

I'm having some trouble with breaking tools. This material is harder to machine than I anticipated. The inner part cuts okay with the smaller end mill, but when I try to cut the outer with a larger one, the end mill wants to break. I've considered cutting the outside with the small end mill, but I'll have to change the way I'm mounting the metal to do that.

Again, I'll keep you updated

I managed to get two clutches cut from the steel that I ordered before I decided to be a dumb*** and slow the tool down to 2000rpm and it broke. I ordered a new end mill and it should be here Monday or Tuesday.

The blue temper on the spring steel looks awesome. It's almost a shame the clutches will be hidden from view.

Wow that sounds like a real PITA.

It is to some extent, but it's a price I'm willing to pay to learn how to use this CNC and get my LSD together. The two clutches that were sucessfully cut (there were 2 failed attempts before), I did completely on my own. I had another guy showing me the ropes before, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I think my next project will be some wheel adapters :)