HybridZ

5.0 FI in a 240sx

roastin300

I posted earlier in the "other engines" section about using a 1UZFE 4.0 V8 Toyota engine from a Lexus. I already have acquired one from a junkyard for only $150 complete. The only problem is it needs a custom bell housing and flywheel to adapt a R154 tranny or other transmission to the engine as the 1UZFE only came in auto's from the factory. Not only that but the engine in stock form is only good for about 500-550rwhp.

I am considering the 5.0 instead and selling the 1UZFE. The 5.0 motors are readily available at my local u pull it yards for $150 or less, and the aftermarket support is HUGE and cheap. I am shooting for about 600-650rwhp out of this next project. My current ongoing project is my Z31 running SDS and a Holset putting out upwards of 450-500rwhp, i should be breaking into the 11's this year at 6K elevation. My questions for this project are:

Has anyone done the swap yet, 5.0 into a S13 240sx?

Should i be worried about the chassis being weak and possibly "twisting"?

What power can a BONE stock block take tuned good with boost?

What kind of transmission will take this power besides an expensive *** T56?

Is the output shaft on the tranny the same on the T56 as it is on the T5?

I will be doing the classic flip the manifolds and twin turboing it with 2 GN turbos or HY35's, or possibly making a crossover and one huge turbo like a Holset HX50. Another option is to remote turbo it, or remote twin turbo it.... Megasquirt will be the fuel control, i have spent alot of time with it on my buddies car and love the system. Any suggestions or insight is appreciated, thanks

• 7 months later...

I'm no mustang expert, but I know a little. Here are a few answers. I hope they help.

Has anyone done the swap yet' date=' 5.0 into a S13 240sx?

[b']I have seen a few 302 S13s, but I have not seen an EFI 5.0 yet.[/b]

Should i be worried about the chassis being weak and possibly "twisting"?

If you want to drag it, and still have windows and doors that open propely, you will probly want to put a cage in it.

What power can a BONE stock block take tuned good with boost?

Anything over 450hp and you are pushing it. With your goals, you will need to go with an aftermarket block.

What kind of transmission will take this power besides an expensive *** T56?

g-force t5, trecmec 600?

Is the output shaft on the tranny the same on the T56 as it is on the T5?

Nope.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Diamond_Snyper

hey its been awhile since i last posted, but yes a ford 302 fits into an s13 chassis. i swapped an 85 ho motor into my 89 coupe. i had to make my own headers, though im not sure you would have to for sure maybe block huggers could work possibly but thats definately a long shot with where the steering linkage sits in the space occupied by any normal manny, or header. i even tried stock like early 70s log manifolds and the driver side still wasnt close to squeezing around the steering linkage. I also modified the oil pan because out of four that i tried the closest was a front sump variety from an early mustang. that one barely hit the crossmember so i notched it a bit to fit it. the headers were by far the biggest thing, space is not your friend in this situation. i am going to do the swap again as soon as i can find a rust free coupe, cuz the body on mines shot. overall its not that difficult there are a couple pics up somewhere on this forum you can prolly search em.