HybridZ

Trade my MIG for a TIG?

CruxGNZ

If you need to do a lot of welding, I wouldn't. If you only have small welding projects that are going to need doing later on, then go for it. My friend just called me and said he had loaned his mig to his brother and it took him FOREVER to weld up his exhaust with his new tig.

just do the math. the tig unit is 1500 ish and replacing your wp100 is about 400. I just sold a wp100 with mig kit for 250 and upgraded to a sp175 pro. so don't forget ebay and the like for a replacement mig.

they are two completely different tools, but that sounds like a super sweet deal.

OK yet one more opinion. If you are not doing much welding, stick with the MIG and pay a pro for the few times a year you really need a TIG weld done.

If you are doing a lot of welding such that owning a TIG becomes cost effective, then you probably need both the MIG and the TIG.

If you just have some excess $$ burning a hole in your pocket or want the bragging rights, then trade the MIG for the TIG.

Trade the TIG for sure - Especially if its an even trade.

When you get good with a TIG there really is not reason to have a MIG.

When I use a TIG all the time then use a MIG Im extremely frustraded with the lack of control and quality. Its kind of sloppy Id say.

Personal Opinion of Course.

I'm going to see if I can check it out first hand this weekend. Are there any parts I should look at to make sure it's still in good "2 year old" condition? Mr. Coffee, Grumpy? From the pictures, it looks like a good cleaning is in order, and there might be a dent on the side, but overall decent condition.

One thing nice about having a MIG is it's ease of use. My MIG is acting funny and I had to patch a hole in the trans tunnel. Lying on your back welding overhead with a TIG is a pain, especially if you only have a foot amptrol!

But, I would do the trade and get another cheap MIG down the line if I were in your position.

Owen

One thing nice about having a MIG is it's ease of use. My MIG is acting funny and I had to patch a hole in the trans tunnel. Lying on your back welding overhead with a TIG is a pain' date=' especially if you only have a foot amptrol!

But, I would do the trade and get another cheap MIG down the line if I were in your position.

Owen[/quote']

This is true my previous statement was more about benchwelding. I know a MIG has its place in the shop too. I still need to pick one up one day but the old lady just doesnt understand the need for two welders.

I talked to the guy last night. He wants to trade my MIG plus whatever it costs to buy a cage for his little race car. He said it might be as little as $250. So, My MIG + ~$250 = a TIG for me! I'll see what happens next week :-D

I really like my Lincoln MIG welder and hate to give it up, but this is one heck of a deal.

• 1 month later...

I forgot about this post, untill I saw it in our new Welding/Fabrication forum! May as well update it. The guy at the VERY LAST MINUTE decided to NOT trade :icon56: . He needed the money and wanted $800 cash instead, which I just couldn't give up at the time. So, I didn't get the TIG welder :evil: