HybridZ

Welding with gas

Bartman

I purchased a Lincoln Electric Weldpak 100hd a while back and I''ve done some welding with flux core wire. I finally decided to upgrade to gas and I've already purchased a kit to convert my welder to use gas.

My question is what gas or combination of gases should I use and where should I get it from? I don't weld that much, so a small container would probably suffice. Should I buy or rent? I see some on eBay that sell for around $63 empty or so including shipping, is that a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-CF-welding-cylinder-tank-bottle-argon-helium-nitr_W0QQitemZ7581615838QQcategoryZ67058QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Harbor Freight has an Argon cylinder for $75, but I think it's empty as well (at least it ships that way, maybe it's full if you buy it in the store?) http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92807

I searched, but I coulldn't find an answer to this question.

The harbor freight ad says right on it shipped empty. I think it becomes a hazmat if shipped full. Can get it filled at any welding supply place. You need a local place for refills anyway. The welding place will probably talk you into an Argon-CO2 mix. That is what I use for mild and stainless steel. If you are like me and don't do a lot of welding, the added cost of the mix over just straight CO2 is negligible.

Bart,

I bought one of those Harbor Freight bottles and they are indeed empty when purchased. I ended up trading it in for a 100cf bottle at my local welding store because I used alot more gas than I anticipated and the refill price difference between the small and large bottle was only $12.00.

My recommendation is to get the larger bottle and refill it much less often, it really saves you in the long run if you do much welding at all. Another thing to keep in mind is that as the pressure in the bottle drops the flow regulator will need to be tweeked to keep the flow rate you set (at least mine did, cheap regulator I guess), the larger bottle delays this as well.

Wheelman

Bartman, That's in the ballpark for a filled bottle from a welding shop. I've got two of the smaller bottles and I use 75/25 Argon/C02 and I generally spend about $20 per bottle when I refill, which is about once per year per bottle.

Mike

I think I'm going to go with my local welding suppy store. Since I need someone local to fill it up for me, it makes sense to get the cylinder from him as well. I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow along with a flip type welding mask (my welder came with a hand held).

Now that I've got just about everything (including a book), I'm going to see if I can improve my welding skills. Everything really added up...so I hope it was all worth it.

Everything really added up...so I hope it was all worth it.

It is well worth it, although you will need to resist the temptation to solve every fastening problem with welding. The first time you weld something in the house and end up burning a hole in the carpet will be the last time your wife lets you buy any more tools.

I think I'm going to go with my local welding suppy store. Since I need someone local to fill it up for me, it makes sense to get the cylinder from him as well.

Bartman: excellent choice. That is what I was going to suggest. some supply shops lease you a bottle, but generally you pay for the first cylinder, then they exchange them from then on. If you purchase the cylinder from another source, sometimes they can get funny about exchanging it.

As John says, it's well worth it. As a automotive professional, I purchased thousands of dollars worth of tools over the years. My old mig welder was the best money I ever spent. It paid for itself many times over the years.

Guest dirtbike daron

anyone used a Hobart Tigmate and like the results? i got one for x-mas and am about to try it for its first time on a frame fab on my 240.

It is well worth it, although you will need to resist the temptation to solve every fastening problem with welding. The first time you weld something in the house and end up burning a hole in the carpet will be the last time your wife lets you buy any more tools.

Now come John, you should know the TIG is for the house :-)

Cary

I think I'm going to go with my local welding suppy store. Since I need someone local to fill it up for me' date=' it makes sense to get the cylinder from him as well. I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow along with a flip type welding mask (my welder came with a hand held).

Now that I've got just about everything (including a book), I'm going to see if I can improve my welding skills. Everything really added up...so I hope it was all worth it.[/quote']

Do yourself a favor and think about an auto-darkening mark.....I bought one a few years after my welder and wished and wished I had bought it earlier....makes welding so much easier!!!

I wound up getting the 50 cf cylinder filled with Argon-CO2 from my local welding supply store and I changed my welder over to use gas. The results are amazing, there's really no comparison. Even though my welds still need work, they are much better than before. With the flux cored wire I couldn't weld sheet metal without burning holes, with gas it works fine.

I started without an auto-darkening mask, and it didn't work out so well for me. By the time I got the mask flipped I invariably had moved the tip and started welding in the wrong spot. So I went back to Harbor Freight and picked one up for $50. Now it's so much easier. You can keep the mask down the whole time...and the welds are just where you want them to be.

So you guys that haven't switched to gas...just do it. And take Tim's advice and get an auto darkening mask as well.