HybridZ

Pix of L28 Twin Turbo?

ZetoZeto99

1348094530[/url]' post='1020133']

... We get it man, you invented Devil z and used to drive it on the wangan highway which you built. Good job. :rolleyes: Just let it go man, even though I know you cant do.

Disappointing a simple shot to grow my knowledge doesn't seem to exist.Nothing on Wikipedia shows a shot and the twin turbo references all POSTDATES the original Manga, Anime, and Motion Picture.

I expected better here, but little kids raised on the Internet don't value heritage, so WTF, right?

I didn't invent the Devil Z, I just touched and groped the one used in the Motion Picture. That's all.

Disappointing a simple shot to grow my knowledge doesn't seem to exist.Nothing on Wikipedia shows a shot and the twin turbo references all POSTDATES the original Manga, Anime, and Motion Picture.

I expected better here, but little kids raised on the Internet don't value heritage, so WTF, right?

I didn't invent the Devil Z, I just touched and groped the one used in the Motion Picture. That's all.

Fame is infamy Tony. The unfortunate fame of the Devil Z is in some ways to it's own demise. Most will never really appreciate it for the right reasons, and will just be slaves to something they're completely ignorant about (not jabbing at anyone here, honestly, just speaking generally)

The AE86 has seen the same demise IMO. What WAS a great little budget racer that was "okay" is now the most overhyped chassis in existence costing many times more than it really should. But don't say anything wrong about it, or anything that might conflict with the "facts" given in the anime, or else you might just be a heretic...

If you ever DO pull out those VHS tapes, lemme know. :wink:

I believe this to be the HKS version same as the one in the link from my other post.

[

You are correct, that's the HKS version, how do I know? I am running the same manifold with twins, my car is RHD so I can't comment on whether it will work on a LHD car without modification.

If you go to my thread on AFR graphs, you can see how she's running.

• 9 months later...

"The anime version was a twin." -- Got a link to a page?

I know im digging up an OLD thread- But I know tony is still active and am mostly curious.  Are you under the impression the Devil-Z in the wangan midnight is or isnt twin turbo? 

WHICH VERSION?

Anime

Manga

Original Film

Remake Film?

I have no IMPRESSIONS about what I stated, what I asked about was a shot that proved a Twin Turbo on ANY VERSION as the SSS car was a single, the original film was a single, I forget what the remake film was.... It's 12 time zones away.

I vote for this necroposted thread to go to the Tool Shed, nothing good will come of it, it will rehash the same shite over that has already been covered.

The quote in particular did specifically reference the anime, and i had INTENDED to type "the wangan midnight anime", but must have brain farted (At least its obvious i was referencing ONE of them by calling it THE wangan midnight.. hah!)-

But ya, the anime in specific is what I had intended to ask about :)

It was claimed by the poster that the Anime had it...but not ONE shred of visual evidence was presented to support it.

And as I pointed out, the Anime I saw was a virtual tracing of the original motion picture...which had a single.

What I pointed out then was the typical fanboy teenage penchant for reading a spec somewhere (which also was never cited) and the ascribing those characteristics to a photograph that shows something entirely different. Lets also take into onside ration the Wikipedia page refers to a 260 Z! Uh, ok, and it's twin turbo.... Someone outside Japan obviously wrote the page!

Like the beginning of the thread where someone states with authority the Twin Turbo TC24B1 headed L-Engine is an "S20"!

It's been my experience with Japanime that is generally strives to be very technically correct. Example being eXDriver, where the specs and drawings of the vehicles are painstakingly reproduced correctly. Such was the state of the art when I watched the anime and the Manga.... All single-turbos.

As I stated before, I would defer to Yetterben on this, his obsession with the Devil Z was far greater than mine, and his knowledge dates back to the Manga which originated the Devil Z phenomenon.

I believe the lumping of the Devil Z into a discussion on twin trpurbo L28's is incorrect. It's not a twin from anything I have seen, and which nobody else can cite visual proof. At this point, all that has EVER been proffered to support a TTDZ is talk. Sure there was Wikipedia saying something...about a vehicle I witnessed in being contrary configuration. I trust my own eyes, hands, and Ektachrome FAR better on items of vintage Japanese Performance than a fanboy page on Wikipedia written by a kid in his mother's basement, wearing underwear, who wasn't even born when the items in question were running around!

I gotta ask Wantanabe if he knows where the old SSS car went...why didn't I think of that before? It was near our istributor's factory in Saitiama....

Edited by Tony D

Ah got chya.  Well for what its worth-

About 9 mintues and 20 seconds in-  Youll find the scene where the main characters are seeing/inspecting the Z for the first time in the junkyard-  The more "technical" of the two friends clearly states its Twin-Turbo (and is referred to as such throughout the entire series to the best of my knowledge.  I cant recall any specific scenes where they SHOW that it is twin turbo, but 110% it is SUPPOSED to be and is called such).  You can ignore the english  subs if you choose and merely pay attention to whats spoken- Despite it being in Japanese its pretty clear what he says. 

The officially-licensed Wangan Midnight 1:18 model also has this for the engine in the kit:
3Al9Kdf.jpg
Take it with a grain of salt of course, but again-  Pretty clear its "supposed" to be twin turbo.

I havent read the manga in quite a few years, and even longer since I read through the japanese version (I can keep up, but often have to reference particular words- so its just easier for me to read the english scanlations haha)- But im 110% certain its twin turbo (or at least claimed to be such, ill have to look and see if i can find any pictures that SHOW that it is,  but it is SAID to be in both the english and japanese manga).

Both movies are the same as well (The original one based loosely on the manga, and the more recent reboot). And for what its worth, the manga predates al lthe movies/games (which also refer to it as twin turbo)/anime/etc.  Im glad to provide more detailed sources if you wish-  These ones were just readily easy for me to dig up :)

vlcsnap-2012-10-30-22h15m42s41_zps3e80ee

Twin set up from the anime.

The Sss car had two setups from what I've discovered. The single big turbo setup and the dual tdo6 setup. I have the complete first and second series videos.

All 4 series had cars built by different shops.

The first as we all know was the Sss z the second lesser known z was done by http://www.ms-musashino.co.jp and is still used on the cover page.

I'm not too sure about the other series cars.

The Ms car was a twin turbo efi setup using a Sanyo Kiki Itb system and one off surge tank. I have the same Sk manifold used in the film.

It was used in the 1998 series shin wangan midnight which also had the top secret R33 GTR as the main rival.

20130530_100617_zpsa97728a8.jpg

I will scan through the movies and post some findings. I'm looking for the third series as that devil z is suppose to be a high power N/a car. Those crazy wangans.

Edited by mildsquare

Yes, that was what Yetterben said and it makes perfect sense that the Manga was first. There was a lot of talk, but nobody with access ever bucked up anything to back up the conjecture. All I ever said was what I saw in person, nothing more....just invited those making alternate claims to show us all what it was. Sideways was the first guy that didn't get all pissy and butthurt and shared what he had at his disposal.

I'm sure the Manga has a sketch of the engine somewhere.

• 2 years later...

Yes, that was what Yetterben said and it makes perfect sense that the Manga was first. There was a lot of talk, but nobody with access ever bucked up anything to back up the conjecture. All I ever said was what I saw in person, nothing more....just invited those making alternate claims to show us all what it was. Sideways was the first guy that didn't get all pissy and butthurt and shared what he had at his disposal.

I'm sure the Manga has a sketch of the engine somewhere.

B4ZroEn.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 8/26/2019 at 3:24 AM, Nismospek said:

I believe the SK's were actually capable of of dealing with more boost, correct? 

No-"Boost Tolerance" is solely a function of what size jet you can fit in the main and still run off-boost. Most advanced systems used AIC's for more fuel once that max jet size was reached.

Both the SK and Mikuni used closed-cell foam floats and therefore were not subject to collapse.

Webers, however, at the time used soldered brass floats which would collapse around 10psi. Now on a 'bolt it on' setup that would limit you in terms of horsepower, but if you were building the engine properly as in the JDM, the head would be gas-flowed, the cam aggressive, and 10psi would be well in excess of 450 RWHP. I saw a non-intercooled 8psi setup push out 308KW on a Bosch Dyno there...that's like 400+ RWHP!!!

"Boost is merely an indication of Resistance to Flow!"