HybridZ

Maximum width wheels w/o rubbing: 16" and 17" wheels

I'm coming up on a hard deadline to choose new wheels and tires for my 1973 240Z. The car has had a coil-over conversion done at all four corners, and is now lower by about 1"-1.5".

I'm replacing the stock 14" wheels, but don't know what size tires I can fit into the wheel wells without rubbing/bumping.

I'm considering both 16" and 17" wheels. I believe the upper width limit I can mount on a 16"x7" wheel is 225mm (in a pinch, maybe 235). On a 17"x8" wheel I should be able to mount a 265mm.

But just because I can mount it doesn't mean it will fit and work in the 240Z wheel wells.

So can anyone please tell me the widest tires I can mount in the front wheel wells, and the largest I can mount in the rear (I may go wider in the rear if possible).

If this information is already available somewhere for the 240Z can someone just direct me to it? I didn't think it would be hard to find, since so many 240/60/80-Z owners have already dealt with this issue.

Thanks very much for any and all help. I NEED IT.

You can post to this thread, and/or reply directly to me at:

mcmahon@hmss.com

Thanks a lot, guys!

Jim

I'm coming up on a hard deadline to choose new wheels and tires for my 1973 240Z. The car has had a coil-over conversion done at all four corners' date=' and is now lower by about 1"-1.5".

I'm replacing the stock 14" wheels, but don't know what size tires I can fit into the wheel wells without rubbing/bumping.

I'm considering both 16" and 17" wheels. I believe the upper width limit I can mount on a 16"x7" wheel is 225mm (in a pinch, maybe 235). On a 17"x8" wheel I should be able to mount a 265mm.

But just because I can mount it doesn't mean it will fit and work in the 240Z wheel wells.

So can anyone please tell me the widest tires I can mount in the front wheel wells, and the largest I can mount in the rear (I may go wider in the rear if possible).

If this information is already available somewhere for the 240Z can someone just direct me to it? I didn't think it would be hard to find, since so many 240/60/80-Z owners have already dealt with this issue.

Thanks very much for any and all help. I NEED IT.

You can post to this thread, and/or reply directly to me at:

mcmahon@hmss.com

Thanks a lot, guys!

Jim

I have coilovers on my 240Z and I am running 16" Panasports with 225-50-16 Pirelli tires. My car has been lowered about 2" and I am not having any rubbing issues at all.

I think it will depend on the wheel you choose and the offset and backspacing.

There has been a few posts on this subject in the past. With 2.5" coil overs the max size tire would be 285 in the stock wheel wells. I don't know what the off set would have to be, since every time I've asked I was told to search. But there is not much current info on the subject. Old news I guess, even if it's new to me.

Well,All I can tell you is from my car, I have 17x7 fronts with 4 inch back space, and 17x8 in the rear with 5 inch back space. I have run the 17x8's in front, but I lost my turning radius, because the inner part of the tires hit the frame rails and the T/C rods. I have heard people being able to get a 9 inch rim on our cars. but you have to run a very short and stiff 8 inch spring, to get the lower spring perch above the tire.

Tengu3,

I know it must be possible because I have read it here, but I currently have only a 17" by 9.5 rim with a 255 40 tire mounted that I borrowed from a friend whilst I attach my flares. I have MMS coil overs.

Anyway if I hold the wheel in place (wrong bolt pattern) it appears that this combo is almost to big even when the flares are on.

I can only assume that my previous ride height will have to be raised a lot to fit this combo, so when you are asking make sure you see pictures so that you can figure out if you like how high the car has to be.

I am hoping that the camber change will tuck the top of the wheel in more than when I just place it in the arch, or maybe I like my cars low! :-)

Mike

I'm with Jon.

225 is about right for an 8" while 205 or so for a 7". You don't want bulging of the tyre around the rim because it'll just slop around all over the place.

Now given an 8" rim is actually 9" wide: (8+1)*25.4 = 228.6mm

FWIW I have fit 8" rims on the front of my zed with std coils and guards. As fastzcar said the trick with a coil over is not only to reduce the size of the coil, but to get the lower perch above the tyre. Doing some rough measurements on this I think it'll be possible to squeeze 9.5-10s on the front, with the same on the rear.

Going to take a hit in droop because of the reduced spring length, especially for the rate that I want to run, but its mostly for the track, so I don't mind.

Dave

• 9 months later...

i dont know if it will help but i got a 280z lowered and im running 225/45/17 on a 17x7.5 rim. No rubbing at all.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/bemmerguy714/IMG_0096.jpg?t=1164614510

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/bemmerguy714/IMG_0091-1.jpg?t=1164614579

I know i know the car needs paint. Im working on it as we speak but thats the wheels right there.

• 5 months later...

Sounds like a 17x7 on the front with 4 inch backspace which is how many milli-meters of positive offset? And maybe a 17x8 on the rear with what offset?

I am thinking 215-40 rubber for the front and 245-40 on the rear. Does that work?

Thanks from the wheel questor!

i'm running 16x8 0ET, 225/50/16, 12" coilovers, stock length struts on a '72 240z... no problems up front, hits fender lip in back. there is 3/4" clearance between rear coilover and wheel/tire. there is more than 3/4 up front. with this combo, forget about lowering.... ain't gonna happen unless you cut out the fender arch...

ideal would be a +12 offset (or +15 but i've never seen a +15 wheel) with a 16x8" wheel. 17's should behave the same so long as you maintain tire diameter of 24.8"...

[imgl]http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=15011&cat=500[/img]

I have my struts shortened 1,5â€, Modern Motorsports coilovers with 8†springs and Panasport FS 16†x 8†with 20 mm + offset. They are not in their catalogue, have to be special ordered. ($ 305 each 2006). Tires are 225 x 50 -16. I have no problem with rubbing.

Dan,

are you refering to relocating the rear stock spring perch. I was wandering how many people have actually have done that with success. I don't want to invest in coil overs when i have good shocks and newer technique springs. My springs lowered my car one inch so they are considerbly shorter, so I am afraid to cut them anymore to accomidate raising the spring perch for wider tires.I would think this would dramatically shorten my travel-anyone with an opinion on this.

• 9 months later...