HybridZ

6speed trans?

ZXR_KiD

I hit the search and it brought up nothing,

my question is if anyone knows of a 6 speed transmission that will bolt up to an L28 or can be realitivly easily modified (swapping bellhousing ect) to fit the L28?

I had thoughts of looking into skyline drivetrains considering they are still inline 6cyls but wasn't sure if it's a 6 spd or not or if it'd bolt up...

Thanks in advance.

Why do you want a 6 speed? What would the purpose be? If you're looking for closer ratios the T56 isn't really going to help that much. Basically just gives you another super overdrive. If you're looking for increased torque capacity then you can justify the T56. Still, it isn't going to be cheap and it is going to add weight.

The only reason I would recomend the T56 is if someone was going to put over 450rwh through a tranny.At the time I did my conversion it was the only practical tranny that could handle the kind of HP I wanted with a OD.It`s a lot of work to put a T56 into a zcar/510.It would be much easier and cheaper to go through the z32 adaptor route.If you have to have a T56 in your z I can put you in touch with the person who built my adaptor-bellhousing.

the purpose is mixed, partially because I'm about to add a t3/t4 hybrid to a combination that already makes 172whp in a full time track car therefore I was hoping it would be advantageous to have a six speed trans. the other reason would simply be JUST to have a six speed in a 280ZX just as a custom thing that almost no one has done...

paul, I'm actually in Nashville for shcool (nashville Auto Diesel college) but I live over in the Highveiw area off smyrna Rd. If ur interested I'm comin home this weekend U can swing by and see the projects, call my cell if ya want (502) 762-5500

Any advantage you get from having more gears to choose from in a track car I think you would loose in a, weight and b, the fact that you have to change gears more often.

I did the sums on the close ratio T56s available here from Ford, even with a 4.4:1 you're still looking at over 300kph 6th and a 1st that you will never see on the track aside from the start, and even then with cold tyres you may well just spin them.

It is cool to be able to say, ``yeah its a 6 speed'', but not when the guy beside you with the 4-speed jerico goes flashing past for the same price. :)

Dave

cool man, dont have a liscence right now. i kind of had to "surrender it to the state of kentucky" i will swing by when the next opportunity arises. i get my license back on the 9th. if you want, you can see my car. i have a 71 240z thats being restored and i am currently in process of putting s13 rear subframe and r200 clutch type lsd in it. my cell is 502-472-0560

im not sure if this is what the guy mentioned above, but the s15 silvia had a six speeder but that was mated to a 4cyl. but it would be significantly lighter than the t56.

i dont think any of the skylines r32 to r34 (bar the gtr) were available with six speeders. another expensive exercise, but could u modify a gtr gearbox????

well if the S15 had a 6speed. im sure it could be modified to fit our cars. anyone know how much different it would be from the ka bellhousing? because if im not mistaken. normal 240sx trannys bolt right up.

I always hear those S15 6-speeds weren't as sturdy as the other Silvia 5-speed trannies. So I'm sure putting the torque of the bigger 6-cylinder motor through it would hasten wear on it.

HeatRaveR, That has been going around for a while now, but the only people you hear of braking them are drifters, who destroy S13s as well.. do these people know the function of a clutch I wonder? j/k. Anyway performanceforums.com had an intersting discussion about this but the basic outcome was that the gearsets themselves are no weaker, but apparently a circlip which has something to do with #4 is relatively close to a selector fork and with a little abuse can get knocked off, stuck between gears, and thats the end of that gearbox. Relatively easy solution. I have a S15 6-speed (and engine) sitting in my shed for my 510, really should go have a look and see if the conversion to a L6 bell housing would be the same as earlier S13 boxes. Will let you konw, Dave

thanks man, keep us updated. this would be a great thing for us. not only the "cool" factor of having a 6 speed, but better gas mileage and if the gearing is right, 5 gears to throw around on the track instead of just four. (?dont think you would ever need 6th on track?)