HybridZ

6speed trans?

ZXR_KiD

ya EvilDky is running an S-13 5spd only had to shorten the driveshaft to put it in his '71

I would imagine an s-15s 6speed would have more useable ratios but I could be wrong.... guess I'll do more research.

I think there is something that is being overlooked. Th S-15 had the speedo send/cable (don't remember which) comes from the differencial while the ZX had it coming from the tranny.

Another thing; Didn't the skyline 6-speed only come in a AWD version? I think a z33 (350z) tranny would be a better swap. I believe the skyline r35 (inifinity G35) had a modified tranny off of the z33 to take the transfer case, I could be wrong.

from what I understand it is the same but with a transfercase where a shifter would be.

odly enough a tranny guy localy talked with me about using a Z33 tranny.

i dont see it being a option untill someone wants to front getting a new case prototyped.

I thought it would be just a bell housing but the entire case is together.

second the shifter is the old supra style(long behind) and the cover is NOT for a toploader.

So inless you want to have a 2+2 and use and adapter and shift from the back seat, I dont see the Z33 as a vaible option.

but if anyone is interested, he has 2 just sitting in a corner.

There was another thread about the Z33 6 speed. It looked as if there was an extension on the back of the trans. It appeared as though you could unbolt it and move the shifter forward ~9" IIRC. The problem was the tranny was readily available because the 3rd gear synchro would go bad on them. I wouldn't put that transmission in my car until they fixed the synchro problem.

• 3 years later...
Guest ZX 10th Anniversary Owner
ya EvilDky is running an S-13 5spd only had to shorten the driveshaft to put it in his '71

I would imagine an s-15s 6speed would have more useable ratios but I could be wrong.... guess I'll do more research.

ZXR Kid

Are you still looking for the stripes for your ZXR.???????