• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

i started the wet sanding, honestly, the amount of work + $40 of rustoleum paint and thinner = shouldve bought actual car paint..... let me tell anyone thinking of doing this, looks better than 30yr old paint for sure, looks okay to drive around, but im not even in to shows or getting into magazines, and i really cn tell the difference. you can get a whole gallon of car paint on ebay in almost every color for under $50, do it. the rustoleum shows where it is sprayed more and not, car paint comes out even, even when its thicker in spots. i am glad i tried it, and would do it to an old car i didnt care about, but not a 240z again, im still going to get a new paint job within a month or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got some pics of my roller jobs lol, been a while since i started this thread. glad to see everyone's using it to their advantage! some nice looking roller jobs here

IMG_7963.jpg

quarter sanded with 1500grit. WAY less scratches than the roof.

IMG_7964.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

roof was sanded with 800 grit only and polished, under sunlight u can see the scratches from the coarser sandpaper, i was too lazy to use higher grit sandpaper lol. i tried to catch the sunlight to show the spider webbing.

IMG_7962.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

all in all, this paint dries HARD, its not as easy to polish as normal clearcoat or even rattle can spray paint, so the sanding marks are a bit harder to polish out, however i imagine if u go with 2000+ grit sandpaper to finish, results can be very desirable

roof was sanded with 800 grit only and polished, under sunlight u can see the scratches from the coarser sandpaper, i was too lazy to use higher grit sandpaper lol. i tried to catch the sunlight to show the spider webbing.

all in all, this paint dries HARD, its not as easy to polish as normal clearcoat or even rattle can spray paint, so the sanding marks are a bit harder to polish out, however i imagine if u go with 2000+ grit sandpaper to finish, results can be very desirable

Hey,

Saw your car on Sunday at the Datsun show, looked pretty good.

I started painting mine about a week ago. Still 2 coats left to apply. This method is cheap but be prepared to spend A LOT of time on sanding!!!!!

Hey,

Saw your car on Sunday at the Datsun show, looked pretty good.

I started painting mine about a week ago. Still 2 coats left to apply. This method is cheap but be prepared to spend A LOT of time on sanding!!!!!

haha yea u need to do alot of sanding, but at least its fairly easy to sand AND the paint is alot more durable/scratch resistent to scuffs and marks than auto paint/clearcoat

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bulldugg

I'm going to paint my Jeep Cherokee this way. I have a couple of questions, though.

1. Since I'm painting it the same color (almond rustoleum is an exact match(?)) and the current paint is in ok shape, how many coats do you recommend. I'm just trying to clean up chips and stuff.

2. How warm should it be to get good adhesion and drying. This will be done in a garage. I'm in the bay area and it's still fairly warm for the next couple of months.

• 2 years later...

41515141894151514189I don't own a Hybrid but I have done the $50 Rustoleum Paint Job. While browsing the web I came across this thread. I figured I'd show my results as I took many pics throughout the process. This was my first time ever trying this paint method. I am sold on it.

Heres a quick link to all my photos. It's worth checkin out.

4151514189a%3Ehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/widebodyaccord/

4151514189_a5c68f1575.jpg">3921365840_c3179fe9b4.jpg">My 1996 Honda Accord with a custom wide body before the Rustoleum Gloss white painted was rolled on. I did all the work myself.

3920579783_4c73cc5ddb.jpg">">3869189776_c99a1044f6.jpg

Heres a pic with about 3 coats rolled on. I mixed Rustoleum Gloss white with mineral spirits.">4040543053_049f47d801.jpg

">">4041292586_981f4b54fe.jpg