HybridZ
HarrisonTX

Talkin the talk... q45 r230 r200 z30 & so on & so on

pallnet    1

I don't know if this was noted already but the long nose R200 and the short nose R200 share the same 8 bolt diffy cover bolt pattern. This means the covers should swap over. This also means you should not need to redrill your mustache bar.

marcg    0

Now that I have the 450Z running, I find that it's "one wheeling" around most of the corners. If you look at the first vid here you'll see what I mean: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/563982

Has anybody had any luck rebuilding one of these diffs? Or should I be looking for a lower mileage unit to replace mine?

Let me know as I need to get all of this new found power to hook up.

underground    10

I wanted to clarify some information I read on here.

All Q45's used the R200 casing, however they use 300ZX TT SIZED hubs, output shafts, and axles. They also use the same spline count, so you can use a 300ZX Hub or a Q45 hub when upgrading to the Q45 differential.

I think most people look at the size of the axles, hubs, and output shafts and assume it's a R230 diff.

The 90-96 Q45 used a 3.54 and the 97-01 used a 3.69 final gear.

The 90-96 Q45 uses the same 6-bolt axles as the ones found in the 300ZX TT, not sure about the 97+ as I haven't pulled one from a junkyard yet.

This differential is the best kept secret for the Nissan enthusiast who doesn't want to have to spend the money to modify their subframe for the R230 300ZX TT differential.

I have been having a problem with my R200 (Non-VLSD 240SX) differential breaking output shafts. The output shafts are way too tiny, and snap inside the differential.

With the Q45 differential, the output shafts are literally about 2 1/2 inch thick, or about twice the size of the output shafts found in the R200 240SX diff.

Just some food for thought.

BRAAP    244

This thread was purged of the elementary Datsun Diff questions/posts.

If you don’t know if the 280-Z "came with" an LSD, please do NOT ask that here!

If you don’t know if the Z-31 R-200 can handle V-8 power with an automatic, Don’t ask that here!!!

All that stuff has been beat to death and most likely answered in other “sticky” threads, so please search and read more, and don’t ask elementary questions in the "stickys"!!!!!

Please keep this on topic.

Thank you,

Paul Ruschman

HybridZ staff

Daeron    11

I am getting around to reading the nitty-gritty on the differential thing just now.. and perusing through the stickies in this sub-forum, it seems a little crowded.

I would hesitantly suggest that this thread no longer hold enough merit on its own for it to remain a Sticky.. Jmortensen's encyclopedic post regarding rear diffies in our Z-cars MORE than covered every subject covered here. *Maybe* add a brief "language primer" (r230, VLSD, q45 etc) to the first post in JM's thread.. but other than that, this thread is confusing, incomplete, meandering, and not as easy to digest and absorb as the two other stickies covering this topic; namely, JM's "Diff/CV/LSD/....." thread and the "complete differential list (please help)" thread started by cyrus.

OP of this thread: I am sorry to denigrate your thread here, but I make this suggestion for the good of the Land. Mods: If you disagree, please simply delete this posting, with my humble apologies :D

SATAN    10

Oh sweet Christ. I have to clear up a few things since this is a sticky and is full of a bunch of wrong information.

All Z31's (84-89 300zx) came with LONG NOSE R200's

Later 87's-89 z31 TURBO'S ONLY ALL came with some form of LSD (Mostly CLSD)

ONLY the 88SS z31 came with the R200 Vlsd

VERY FEW 88 turbo's are the SS model.

ONLY the 90-96 Q45's(some say 89) have the R200VLSD with the beefy 6 bolt input shafts (30 spline) which are the same as the TT's (30 spline), and they ARE NOT twice the size of the 240sx splines which are 29 spline.

The 90-96 Q45's carrier (inside parts) will swap over to the 84-89 z31 r200 case. All that is needed is to swap ring gears. But then you have to custom make half shafts. This is where I am at now.

97 q45's do have the R200vlsd but it IS NOT the larger one like the 90-96. ONLY THE 6 BOLTS input shafts are the beefy 30 spline.

Bowtiez    10

I have told a guy with a 90 model TT R230 that the popular S14 240SX/300Z brake conversion will not work due to the 29 spline axle vs 30 spline issue and that he needs a 90-96 300Z non turbo hub/brake assembly. My motive is to buy this from him but I think from what everyone is posting, I am not lying. I have a 95 Q45 complete assembly located but my 350 SBC roller cam is over 400HP and I am concerned about strength if I run the intended M/T ETs. Although I have broken u joints on the long nosed R200, I have never had differential problems including the phantom grip lsd.

SATAN    10
I have told a guy with a 90 model TT R230 that the popular S14 240SX/300Z brake conversion will not work due to the 29 spline axle vs 30 spline issue and that he needs a 90-96 300Z non turbo hub/brake assembly. My motive is to buy this from him but I think from what everyone is posting, I am not lying. I have a 95 Q45 complete assembly located but my 350 SBC roller cam is over 400HP and I am concerned about strength if I run the intended M/T ETs. Although I have broken u joints on the long nosed R200, I have never had differential problems including the phantom grip lsd.

I ran the long nose R200 with a clsd and the 29 splines and pulled these numbers. My car weighs about 3000lbs and I make somewhere in the neighborhood of 450whp. Your 30 spline should be MORE than enough to hold the power/torque.

TimeSlip4.jpg

Bowtiez    10

I purchased the 90 R230 TT setup less calipers and drums which I can get new Wagner parts for $250 or Brembos for quite a bit more. It only had 80K miles. Also, it looks like the 2000 Q45 rotors and calipers may work.

PS: I needed a muscled up friend to help me put the R230 in the back of a 4X4 truck. It is h_e_a_v-y!

SATAN    10

Just so you know, you can take your carrier out of your 95 short nose case and put it into your long nose case. This will save you some fabrication on diff mounts and what not. The only thing you have to do is switch ring gears, as the pinion gear is obviously going to be different lengths in long and short nose. Gotta keep them matching.

Guest seminoles2005   
Guest seminoles2005

i was in a local junkyard when i spotted a z31. When i walked up to the car it had all of its numbers missing, what i mean by this it did not state what month/year it was made. The junkyard i was at puts the year and name of the car on its side and it said 1987 and it was a turbo model. I got under and looked at the differential and saw that it had the smooth cover and not a finned differential cover.

I wrote the vin number down and did a search but i didnt feel like getting a subscription for carfax just to see if maybe they will list the month of the car. I know that starting april of 87 they started putting the clsd in the turbo models but theirs no way telling what month this car was made in.

I decided to drop the differential and take it with me. If anyone can tell me a way to check if its a clsd differential or just a normal lsd thatd be great. Or even check its carfax for me if itll say the month.

JN1CZ14S4HX151188

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=JN1CZ14S4HX151188&PopUpStatus=0

thanks.

SATAN    10
i was in a local junkyard when i spotted a z31. When i walked up to the car it had all of its numbers missing, what i mean by this it did not state what month/year it was made. The junkyard i was at puts the year and name of the car on its side and it said 1987 and it was a turbo model. I got under and looked at the differential and saw that it had the smooth cover and not a finned differential cover.

I wrote the vin number down and did a search but i didnt feel like getting a subscription for carfax just to see if maybe they will list the month of the car. I know that starting april of 87 they started putting the clsd in the turbo models but theirs no way telling what month this car was made in.

I decided to drop the differential and take it with me. If anyone can tell me a way to check if its a clsd differential or just a normal lsd thatd be great. Or even check its carfax for me if itll say the month.

JN1CZ14S4HX151188

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=JN1CZ14S4HX151188&PopUpStatus=0

thanks.

If it did not have the finned cover then chances are good that the previous owner DID NOT swap in the CLSD or VLSD along with not bothering to change to the finned cover. If you have the diff apart, you can look at the pinion gears inside. If it has four of them, it is an LSD, if it only has two, then it is an open diff.

Sorry for the late reply

SATAN    10

I posted in this thread earlier that the 90-96 Q45 input shafts and the R230 input shafts are the same spline count and diameter. THIS IS WRONG. They are NOT the same diameter. The R230 spline diameter is 1mm larger than the Q45 spline. As far as spline count goes, I am still trying to figure out of the R230 is a 30 spline like the Q45 or if it is a 31 spline. Anyone know 100% by counting?

r200s come in some 280s, and i wanna say all 280zx's.......................................................

(if any of this is wrong anyone feel free to correct me)

Actually my source says only 280zx 2+2 manuals came with R200's. The 280zx automatic's and non-2+2's came with R180's.

http://www.zcarpartsindex.com/index.php?title=Differential_Listing

Here's my source, it has more detail about all Z's differentials, and other parts. I think every Z owner interested in modifying their car should have this link.

z head    0

Okay all j30 are r200 viscous lsd Q45 are r230 they are to big. So this is how i builded one i found a r200 out of a 86 300zx longnose with 3.70 gears just look at the trans speedo gear they are color coded blue. Than i took a j30 r200 viscous shortnose i took it apart and remove the inner hub and bearing and races take the ring gear off it want help you. Now take the 300zx r200 diff cover off remove the inner hub dont mix any parts the shim that is on the left must go back on the left and the one thats on the right must go back on the right. Now remove the ring gear they both have 12mm bolts. Now install the 300zx ring gear on the j30 viscous hub clean and use locktite. Put the j30 hub inside the 300zx housing with the j30 races now put the shim that was on the left side back and the one on the right back install everthing back and tighten the back lash should be the same as it was on the 300zx before you took it apart. r200 is finshed dont forget oil. now you can use the driver side r200 alxe from a 280z the splines are the same. here is the trickey part you need the pasenger axle from the j30 its longer and must be used or you want have pos track. What i did is cut the five bolt flange off and my friend finshed it down with a lath than i took the a r200 axle from a 280z and cut the shaft as close as i could get to the yoke than i finshed it down with a grinder and sander than i put them together in the lath so they would be centered and spot welded them with a mig i did not weld the shafts are they will break. I spot welded all around than i welded in the lath it came out perfect i installed this in my 1971 240z with some other parts from a 280z and drove it today about 80 miles it great i have pictures if somebody needs to see them but i dont know how to put them on this site im new. but if somebody needs them you can email me at [email protected] and i will be able to send them to you i hope this can help somebody it wasnt hard.

SATAN    10
Okay all j30 are r200 viscous lsd Q45 are r230 they are to big. So this is how i builded one i found a r200 out of a 86 300zx longnose with 3.70 gears just look at the trans speedo gear they are color coded blue. Than i took a j30 r200 viscous shortnose i took it apart and remove the inner hub and bearing and races take the ring gear off it want help you. Now take the 300zx r200 diff cover off remove the inner hub dont mix any parts the shim that is on the left must go back on the left and the one thats on the right must go back on the right. Now remove the ring gear they both have 12mm bolts. Now install the 300zx ring gear on the j30 viscous hub clean and use locktite. Put the j30 hub inside the 300zx housing with the j30 races now put the shim that was on the left side back and the one on the right back install everthing back and tighten the back lash should be the same as it was on the 300zx before you took it apart. r200 is finshed dont forget oil. now you can use the driver side r200 alxe from a 280z the splines are the same. here is the trickey part you need the pasenger axle from the j30 its longer and must be used or you want have pos track. What i did is cut the five bolt flange off and my friend finshed it down with a lath than i took the a r200 axle from a 280z and cut the shaft as close as i could get to the yoke than i finshed it down with a grinder and sander than i put them together in the lath so they would be centered and spot welded them with a mig i did not weld the shafts are they will break. I spot welded all around than i welded in the lath it came out perfect i installed this in my 1971 240z with some other parts from a 280z and drove it today about 80 miles it great i have pictures if somebody needs to see them but i dont know how to put them on this site im new. but if somebody needs them you can email me at [email protected] and i will be able to send them to you i hope this can help somebody it wasnt hard.

Lots of information here, but it is very hard to read due to the spelling, grammar and run on sentences. Looks like there is good info here, but just hard to make out.

Correction though. The Q45 differential is NOT an R230 like the twin turbo differential. It has a 200mm ring gear and will fit inside the R200 case from an 88 300zx.. I have personally done it with pictures to prove it. However the splines ARE larger than the z31 series and the s130 series differentials. Along with almost all other R200's for that matter.

Marty    0

Lots of information here, but it is very hard to read due to the spelling, grammar and run on sentences. Looks like there is good info here, but just hard to make out.

Correction though. The Q45 differential is NOT an R230 like the twin turbo differential. It has a 200mm ring gear and will fit inside the R200 case from an 88 300zx.. I have personally done it with pictures to prove it. However the splines ARE larger than the z31 series and the s130 series differentials. Along with almost all other R200's for that matter.

Agreed on all points. The differences is the 90-96 Q45 R200V is a 6 bolt output shaft, 3.54 ratio, the 97-2001 Q45 R200V is a 5 bolt shaft, 3.69 ratio (same as the TT). For a Z32, two ways to adapt, drill the input shaft with holes that fit the Z32 axle or swap the input shafts.