HybridZ

Weird SR20det Problems?

Ok, I have an sr20 swap done by Vildini. My problem is, whenever i make a right turn, whether barely turning or making a tight turn, the car loses power completely, and starts sputtering and backfiring if i stay on the gas. Weird thing is, it doesnt die or seem like its an electrical problem, because my voltmeter doesnt fluctuate. The boost doesnt spike, oil pressure is fine. I dont know what could possibly be wrong. I went around a long sweeping offramp the other night and i lost power completely, when i stepped on the gas, nothing happend at all, but the car was still running. Im gonna look around a bit more for any shorts in the electical system but im running out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? Im tired of having to make right hand corners without power! Thanks For any suggestions in advance!

Gavin

Umm sounds like something is shorting out..... is it stick? if its stick you can short out and umm keep running as soon as power comes back..... I would check every piece of electrical i can checking everything to make sure its not loose..... Back before I hybridized my z... and had a L24 with a stick..... i had a similar problem.... but its was only when i was pulling a negative G in a dip.... I couldn't figure out what it was until one night I was coming home hit this once dip doing 60 and then ::BLACK OUT:: ::Flames:: OMG HOOD ::SPARKS:: ::SPARK SHOWER::... the car kept running kinda.. after it was done the car acted like nothing happened and it continued home and changed my pants.. turned out my battery restraints has come loose and i didn't see it b/c the bolt on the bottom has came loose so it looked like it was secured

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Do you have the stock gas tank? You could put a fuel pressure gauge in the passanger compartment to verify this. Solutions very, from installing a 280z gas tank to a remote mounted reserve tank.to modifing the stock tanks with a baffle/tank inside.

I would suggest the alternator but you said the voltmeter doesn't fluctuate. It should be the battery terminals since your car is running off the alternator.

My car was acting goofy during the install and it turned out the crank angle sensor was not properly mounted. Maybe you should check it and the plug going into the crank angle sensor. I understand that the tabs on the plug often break.

I know EXACTLY what your problem is, the exact same thing happened on the Z. It only happens when you take Right turns, right? My car would do the same. Your ground is shorting out from your engine(harness). Just goto Autozone and buy a battery terminal-type cable and attach one side to the engine and the other to the frame.

What is happening is that when you take a right turn your ground wire(wich is probly stripped, as mine was, hits another stripped wire) and shorts out-depending on if you completly short it or just arcing, it will stay running and your gauge car still work. If you take a corner really fast, it will eventually melt the wire and then you'll have to replace it anyway.

It could also be fuel starvation, if I put my old truck sideways when the gas was low, it would take all the gas to the side of the tank, but there was enough gas at the bottem to keep it running, but if you put your foot back in it, it wouldn't go anywhere.

Hope this helps..

Ok. I replaced the battery terminal that was loose and that didnt help any. Yes, the down time does vary according to the length and sharpness of the turn. If its a long tight sweeper, i can step on the pedal as hard and as many times as i want and not a sound will come from the engine, almost as if the throttle cable wasnt connected. Then again, if its a light right turn or a slow speed tight right turn then it sputters and sounds like its hitting a rev limiter at whatever rpm im at... Im gonna try savages idea... hopefully thats the problem...thanks for all the help guys!! i appreciate it!

gavin

Thanks L, the intercooler and radiator create a large v duct and the sides are closed off. It works quite well and it keeps water temps down. No, i havent had a chance to call him yet i was hoping he would see this post... im gonna call him right now and see what he says.

gavin

Alright ITS FIXED!!!!!! haha... It wasnt electrical shorting' date=' it wasnt fuel starvation it was a simple broken plug on the maf sensor... One side of the clip is broken so it kept loosening. Thanks for all the help guys!!! =)

gavin[/quote']

Never would have guessed that. That's f**ed up.